Jaguar Remote (InControl) and Alexa

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
CyberChr1s

Post by CyberChr1s »

Hi all,

I am a senior software engineer at Microsoft. I got really bored of the slow response time of the Jaguar Remote (the new and old app). I really wanted to be able to just ask Alexa to start the car, tell me my fuel levels etc...So, over the Christmas break, I got to understanding how the Jaguar Remote app works, and built my own Alexa skill around it. Today, it supports the following commands, but I have a few more planned:

* Start/Stop the engine
* Lock/Unlock the doors
* Honk and flash the lights
What is the mileage
* Distance until empty
* Remaining fuel
* When is the next service due

The skill is currently in beta, and I am looking for as many people as possible to help me test the skill, suggest better ways of asking the questions, come up with new feature requests and ultimately provide feedback. The Alexa skill will only allow you to perform tasks that your country allows. IE, if remote start is illegal in your country, this won't enable that feature. If you think this is something that you would be interested in joining, DM me your email address that is tied to Alexa and i'll add you on. Any questions at all, please feel free to ask away!

For the other software engineers here, I actually published the API wrapper (written in C#) to GitHub and a package to NuGet (https://github.com/GreyManSoftware/JlrSharp). It's totally free to use, and I am all for accepting PRs.

Last edited by CyberChr1s on Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
MY2019 F-Type R AWD

ayrejc

Post by ayrejc »

Thanks for the excellent work. I tried to sign up in uk but says i dont have access to this skill beta testing and contact admin 😢
MY18 F Type 400 Sport Coupe RWD Satin Chrome Orange
CyberChr1s

Post by CyberChr1s »

Grrrr. I’m the admin and I still can’t get it to work. Super annoying. You can DM me your email (the one tied to Alexa, not jaguar remote) and I can manually add you. I’ll try to fix the sign up in the interim.
MY2019 F-Type R AWD
Frammo

Post by Frammo »

Hi,

Have tried to sign up here in UK but told I don't have permission?
340 S
MY 2017
Panoramic roof,
19” Gloss Black alloys,
Black pack,
Yulong White (metallic paint),
Reversing camera,
Heated seats and heated windscreen.
Active exhaust
devbrodie

Post by devbrodie »

Same results as others (UK based) "Your Amazon account does not have access to this Skills Beta Testing skill. Please contact the Skills Beta Testing administrator to gain access"...
MY18 - F-Type 3L V6 R-dynamic AWD
Black Pack
Driver Pack
Winter Pack
Performance Seats
Meridian Surround Sound
ClosetHairdresser

Post by ClosetHairdresser »

I'm also a software engineer, working at an autonomous vehicle company, what a cool project and great to engage people on the forum in this way. I had a look through your code on GitHub, it's interesting to see the interface :D
basher

Post by basher »

ClosetHairdresser wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:56 pm I'm also a software engineer, working at an autonomous vehicle company, what a cool project and great to engage people on the forum in this way. I had a look through your code on GitHub, it's interesting to see the interface :D
I'm a front end web / user interface developer. I also looked through the code... nice job.

As it's an Alexa integration there's no need for a front end user interface. 😶
Rhodium silver F-Type 400 Sport AWD coupe.

PB Brakes big brake kit: drilled & slotted rotors, big yellow calipers. 😁
CyberChr1s

Post by CyberChr1s »

ClosetHairdresser wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:56 pm I'm also a software engineer, working at an autonomous vehicle company, what a cool project and great to engage people on the forum in this way. I had a look through your code on GitHub, it's interesting to see the interface :D
Sorry for the ridiculously slow reply! The code isn't perfect, but then the implementation from Jaguar isn't either. Well, I say Jaguar, but ultimately they just lease the functionality from a third party. I particularly enjoyed how they screwed up the OAUTH2 implementation. Fun times :)
MY2019 F-Type R AWD
CyberChr1s

Post by CyberChr1s »

basher wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:29 am
I'm a front end web / user interface developer. I also looked through the code... nice job.

As it's an Alexa integration there's no need for a front end user interface. 😶
There is actually a VERY small front end implementation, just to handle the first sign on when you link the skill, but it's not very exciting. This and the Alexa skill code lives in a private repo, but again, it's not very exiting and looks like every other Alexa skill that uses Alexa.NET (C#). I've got some work to do to tidy up some of the classes as there's quite a bit of code duplication. I started with the best of intentions and just wanted to finish the god damn thing so I could start building the Alexa skill and deploy something :)
MY2019 F-Type R AWD
CyberChr1s

Post by CyberChr1s »

Hi, quick update for everyone. The skill has since gone public and can be found here:
MY2019 F-Type R AWD

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post