How to change rear pads.

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
GARETH

Post by GARETH »

Just done this job. It’s very easy once you know how! I used Pagid pads from Eurocarparts. Make sure you get the right ones! Check your vin against the website. This is not for carbon brakes, just the normal ones. I also advise you to buy a new wear sensor. Whilst it can be extracted without breaking it, it’s more likely it will be damaged, so for the sake of £25 get a new one!

Before anything mechanical, you need to set the park brake to Service Mode. If you have diagnostic kit, you can do this easily. If not, you can do it with this sequence.

Chock front wheels.
Ignition on.
Press the epb switch DOWN and hold down for 2 seconds.
Then press the accelerator pedal fully down for 2 seconds.
Whilst continuing to hold both down, switch the ignition off then back on.
A sound will be heard and a message will be displayed. This has now backed off the motors and will allow piston push back later. If you can’t get this to work, make sure you do it all in sequence and wait 2 seconds between steps.

Loosen wheel nuts

Jack up car ( I did 1 wheel at a time with trolley jack under the suspension arm.

Support securely on axle stand or suitable block under a strong part of the subframe.

Remove wheel.

On the right hand side only, carefully remove the wear sensor. Grip it with some pliers and try and work it free. Make sure the tiny brass clip is with it. If it breaks, get a new one. They are not too expensive.

Undo the two slider bolts. 13mm spanner with 15mm to hold the slider pins. New pads should come with new bolts. If not, keep old but will need some thread lock when refitting.

Pull off the calliper from the frame. Remove old pads

Thoroughly clean everything with brake cleaner.
Check sliders move freely. If not, pull them out and lubricate with silicone grease.

Remove cover under bonnet and take top off master cylinder to monitor fluid level whilst pushing back calliper pistons.

Use push back tool to retract piston.

Put a tiny amount of brake grease on sliding surfaces of pad springs. Copper grease is ok. Just a smear is all you need.

Insert new pads. The inner ones are a bit of a fiddle, but once you’ve got the knack they just click into place.

Replace the calliper over the carrier. Fit new bolts to sliders, or re-use old but with a bit of thread lock. Tighten bolts up.

On the right hand side only, carefully refit the wear sensor. These are fragile and snap really easily so be extra careful. If it doesn’t make a good contact you will get a false pad wear warning. It clips into the rounded recess on the in-board pad right hand side only.

Refit wheel.

Lower to the ground.

Torque wheel nuts to 125 nm.

Pump the pedal a few times to seat the pads.

Check brake fluid level.

Now you need to take the epb out of Service Mode either with diagnostic system or as follows.

Ignition on.
Pull UP the epb switch for 2 seconds.
Then whilst holding both in this position, switch the ignition off then immediately back on.

A noise should be heard from the motors and the message will disappear.

Remove chocks from front wheels.

Start engine.

Test drive.
Last edited by GARETH on Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2014 Jaguar F-Type 3.0 S Coupe in Salsa red
2021 Land Rover Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE
1968 Land Rover Series 2a 88”
1966 Land Rover Series 2a 109” ex army.

NAC63

Post by NAC63 »

Thanks for that be doing mine soon
2014 V8S Convertible in black all the extras plus lots of carbon bits.
H&R lowering springs
Eibach 15mm wheel spacers
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Nicely written 'how to' for the job

Just one comment is you really must use secondary support for the vehicle. Trolley jack relies on a single tiny seal and you don't want your head under the car messing with brakes if it fails or the car slips off. If you don't have axle stands use the wheel after you remove it

Be safe
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
GARETH

Post by GARETH »

Just done this job. It’s very easy once you know how! I used Pagid pads from Eurocarparts. Make sure you get the right ones! Check your vin against the website. This is not for carbon brakes, just the normal ones.

Before anything mechanical, you need to set the park brake to Service Mode. If you have diagnostic kit, you can do this easily. If not, you can do it with this sequence.

Chock front wheels.
Ignition on.
Press the epb switch DOWN and hold down for 2 seconds.
Whilst continuing to hold both down, switch the ignition off then back on.
A sound will be heard and a message will be displayed. This has now backed off the motors and will allow piston push back later. If you can’t get this to work, make sure you do it all in sequence and wait 2 seconds between steps.

Loosen wheel nuts

Jack up car ( I did 1 wheel at a time with trolley jack under the suspension arm.

Remove wheel.

On the right hand side only, carefully remove the wear sensor. Grip it with some pliers and try and work it free. Make sure the tiny brass clip is with it. If it breaks, get a new one. They are not too expensive.

Undo the two slider bolts. 13mm spanner with 15mm to hold the slider pins. New pads should come with new bolts. If not, keep old but will need some thread lock when refitting.

Pull off the calliper from the frame. Remove old pads

Thoroughly clean everything with brake cleaner.
Check sliders move freely. If not, pull them out and lubricate with silicone grease.

Remove cover under bonnet and take top off master cylinder to monitor fluid level whilst pushing back calliper pistons.

Use push back tool to retract piston.

Put a tiny amount of brake grease on sliding surfaces of pad springs. Copper grease is ok. Just a smear is all you need.

Insert new pads. The inner ones are a bit of a fiddle, but once you’ve got the knack they just click into place.

Replace the calliper over the carrier. Fit new bolts to sliders, or re-use old but with a bit of thread lock. Tighten bolts up.

On the right hand side only, carefully refit the wear sensor. These are fragile and snap really easily so be extra careful. If it doesn’t make a good contact you will get a false pad wear warning. It clips into the rounded recess on the in-board pad right hand side only.

Refit wheel.

Lower to the ground.

Torque wheel nuts to 125 nm.

Pump the pedal a few times to seat the pads.

Check brake fluid level.

Now you need to take the epb out of Service Mode either with diagnostic system or as follows.

Ignition on.
Pull UP the epb switch for 2 seconds.
Then whilst holding both in this position, switch the ignition off then immediately back on.

A noise should be heard from the motors and the message will disappear.

Remove chocks from front wheels.

Start engine.

Test drive.
[/quote]
GARETH

Post by GARETH »

Yes of course the car should be safely supported on axle stands. “How to” suitably amended.
SESH

Post by SESH »

Be interested to know how many miles the pads (front & rear) last for.
Anyone got any numbers?
I have standard pads but with the high performance option.
Mike
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Highland Green
1966 Corvette Stingray Big Block
1973 E Type Convertible
1963 Triumph TR4
Ex F Type V6S MY2016
scm

Post by scm »

Depends on how you use them, I guess. I've followed people who use their brakes all the time, and others who use them sparingly (I'm one!). Brakes waste fuel! ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
daytona650

Post by daytona650 »

I'm replacing mine this month - mine's done 25k.

Great guide - thank you.

Have you done the fronts yet?
2013 V6S Convertible - Salsa Red, Performance Seats, 20" Wheels, Climate Pack.
GARETH

Post by GARETH »

Mine has done 34k. Rears had about 3mm on the old pads. My fronts have loads left, and they are still the originals. Mine too has the upgrade brakes.

I do find it a bit odd that the rears have worn out first. My Disco 4 goes through 2 sets of fronts to each set of rears.
Philskill

Post by Philskill »

Nice write up thanks.

Same epb maintenance mode procedure as the Evoque. I did a you tube video of that.

I did my rears on the Evoque way earlier than the fronts, it's fairly normal, depends on many factors.
MY19 Carpathian Grey R-Dynamic P300, Black pack in and out, 12 way Memory seats, Climate Pack, Park assist, Meridian Surround, switchable exhaust.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post