Unable to use touch screen

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Had a strange on today, went for a drive, no low battery message.

I was unable to use the steering wheel buttons to change track on a cd, tried the touch screen and nothing worked, tried to change using the mode buttons, no go. I was close to home so decided wait till I got there before stopping and shutting everything down to see if that reset itself, glad I did. After shutting down tried to restart to clear the fault and car won’t start, low battery message, ctek will not charge, so new one required. Home start so AA on way, hope the will test the battery.

Anyone had anything similar? Original battery now 5 years old, hoping that is all it is.

What do people use as a replacement battery
Bosch 019 S5A13?
MY15 Coupe V8R Carbon Ceramic Brakes, 20" Anthracite Wheels Panoramic Roof, Meridian 770

Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Do check it's correct for your application but this might help if you haven't already done some research...

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/b ... 14bb9d5f9f

Not had the need yet, but heard good things about this place and you'll probably be hard pushed to beat the price.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Nick

Post by Nick »

Thank Lunar, yes good price.

AA been here, seems a earth issue, wouldn’t start eventually bypassed the battery earth via chassis and ran directly to the engine and it started, so will check the earth points, first at the battery as it’s the easier to get at then will check where on the engine is the main earth point.

Battery is fine but needs charging.
MY15 Coupe V8R Carbon Ceramic Brakes, 20" Anthracite Wheels Panoramic Roof, Meridian 770
Tel

Post by Tel »

First of all... This has happened to many owners.

First point of call is to search the UK and US forums, and any DIY owner carries an adjustable spanner to reboot the system by removing the neg from the battery for about 15 secs.

The area where the earth issues lie are at connection point in the front driver side wheel arch.
Pop you wheel off, look directly forward of the suspension strut on the body and you'lle find a small black box with a cover over it. Pop it off, loosen the connections, re seat and weather proof.
It's a weak point I found about 5 years ago, and smothered mine on corrosion guard. Folks have since had big problems with cars not starting as this forms part of the main supply busbar to the starter motor and jump point, and it seriously corrodes because of dissimilar metal contact and water exposure.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
Nick

Post by Nick »

Tel, I have been searching for this location of the forums and hadn’t found it at yet, so Thank you very much.

I will try and get that sorted tomorrow, weather and wife permitting :roll: will give it a good going over with some sort of weather protection. My previous car was also an aluminium body with the battery nowhere near the engine, had hoped a quality expensive car would have planned for this. Only 5 years old disappointed, corrosion and poor design.

If I keep long term may run a full earth cable under the car to connect the two.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Do you mean this thing Tel?

6CB0CB49-BFEF-43A7-B3D3-E0BF807BDF5A.jpeg

Nick

Post by Nick »

Did this assuming it was the correct box and no go.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Think I will order a new Battery as a starter and se how we go.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Update for future I formation

I ran a jump lead ( 2 connected together ) from the neg point on the body, by the battery to the engine block and it started no problem. So battery ok, it is a ground issue between the chassis and engine itself.

Hopefully Tel will let me know if I got the correct item to reseat. I am wondering since I am a MY15 and have 2 batteries if there is a different setup to Tel who is a MY 16

I will continue looking into engine block grounding points.
MANTOT3

Post by MANTOT3 »

Hi Nick
Think Tel is referring to this item
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3310&p=30617&hilit ... ion#p30616
Link to a post a while ago see the pictures, black box is obvious fixed to chassis behind drivers side strut.
If it's as bad as mine you'll see the rust stain below.
Not all f types have it.
I've looked at a few and thought it was only AWD models but it may be an age thing!
My car was registered May 2015 and is AWD.
It was not present on a well known RWD firesand ( loud ) early coupe.

If its present on Tel's RWD 2016 model then it may be a design change.

Hope this helps
2016 SVR
Carbon Ceramic Brakes.
Homemade Barless front Grill.
And all the options on my wish list :twisted:
Previous: 2015 AWD R

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post