Meridian System Poor

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
MM1963

Post by MM1963 »

After talking with Dan at Incar Installations for some length, we both came to the conclusion that the Meridian sound system in the F-type is poor, and clearly Meridian has not had much input into the overall end result, or Jaguar just bought the brand name to make us all believe it's great.

My previous Jaguar XF had the basic sound system, and by jingo that was awful, and I'm being polite. My partners Citroen C1 has a better sounding system.

So we tried then to come up with some solutions, but it was always a compromise.

He demonstrated an under seat sub-woofer, but I wasn't impressed to be honest. Boot space is obviously limited and also quick release of that is also a challenge if I wanted to make room for baggage etc.

My question to of you all, has anyone successfully made the sound inside the car sound good, no dreadful door rattles, no over powering booming bass, as apposed to what bass should sound like, deep and almost tactile and good tonal balance.
MY18 F-Type aka 'The Beast' V6 Caldera Red, Oyster Interior, Bits and Bobs, Wrapped Black Roof and now 14'' short number plates.

PhilB

Post by PhilB »

I've changed the title of your topic on the grounds that you have no evidence that Meridian "sold out".
Purely supposition.
If you are having issues with your system then that's unfortunate and I'm sure others on here will try and help out.
Let's stick to facts and possible solutions please.
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

You have the 380w system. Known as Branded L3.

I think it's perfectly fine for my use. For those who wanted more Jaguar did a Meridian Surround Sound system with 800w (or was it 825w I can't remember) known as L4 on TopiX.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
scm

Post by scm »

The L4 Surround Sound Meridian is 770W. I have the 380W Meridian and find it to be fine, at least as good as the 550W B&W system I had in my previous XKR. Sounds like they're variable in their operation. Mind you, I prefer the sound of the quad speakers at the back of the car! ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
MM1963

Post by MM1963 »

Ok Phil you're the boss...
But as to having issues, no my friend that's not the case, the system is absolutely irrefutably poor. And if you actually have had the pleasure of owning a 'Real' Meridian sound system, you'd know that this excuse for a high end car stereo does not live up to Meridians standards in any shape or form, except badge name.
So in my honest opinion the original title was apt.
But I understand the legality and brow beating it could cause.

But please don't convince yourself/selves that this sound system is high end, it's not. For what Jaguar charge, you could have a system fitted at half the price and ten times the quality.

Its adequate for a standard system, not premium.
AS I said, my partners Citroen sound great for a two bob car.

I once had a smart car (great fun Except for that gearbox) and I spent around £500 on the in-car system, it was superb, no rattles, clear treble, chest pounding bass, a real pleasure, in fact I used to listen to all my music in that car and never in doors.

@simpleR yeah I know which one it is and I've heard the £1000 upgrade and nope sorry don't agree, its still ok.
MY18 F-Type aka 'The Beast' V6 Caldera Red, Oyster Interior, Bits and Bobs, Wrapped Black Roof and now 14'' short number plates.
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

MM1963 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:48 am Ok Phil you're the boss...
But as to having issues, no my friend that's not the case, the system is absolutely irrefutably poor. And if you actually have had the pleasure of owning a 'Real' Meridian sound system, you'd know that this excuse for a high end car stereo does not live up to Meridians standards in any shape or form, except badge name.
So in my honest opinion the original title was apt.
But I understand the legality and brow beating it could cause.
I'm glad you think the original title was apt and you understand the legality but it is something you cannot possibly know.
It's an open public forum and suggestions of corruption (as in Meridian "sold out") can obviously be challenged legally and the forum itself could be held responsible as well as you.
That won't be allowed to happen so let's just keep to the facts both in title and content.
Thanks.
Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

I've the high power system in a coupe, which I rate as just ok. Plenty of volume but lacks deep bass and also lacks clarity and detail in midrange. Compared with a high end home system, which isn't really fair as it's harder to get a full range sound in a little car environment. I think better mid speaker units would improve things detail-wise but I can't do that kind of thing any more even if I knew what to buy. I don't like the sound from the centre speaker at all, so use the stereo setting.
I would add that most people think the whole thing sounds great when wound up, so it's not awful, just improvable.
The other problem is road noise. I have had a couple of quotes to thoroughly Dynamat or equivalent throughout, but the £1,000 plus quotes with no real knowledge of the expected improvement put me off. The glass roof and windows might still let loads of road noise in. Also I enjoy hearing the exhaust from time to time.
I'm interested to hear of any other's improvements.
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16
XZ4

Post by XZ4 »

I don't think the sound is bad on my 380w Meridian system. It did take a while to get the settings to my taste though. The Meridian setting isn't great though. I prefer Stereo. It was the same in my Evoques 825w system, took a while to get it right.
MY14 3.0S Convertible. Polaris White with black hood, Black pack, Design pack, 20" Cyclones, Red performance heated seats, heated flat bottom steering wheel, Meridian sound system, plus lots more
Jagman100

Post by Jagman100 »

Same, my Meridian 380w took a while to set up and now seems adequate but not great, no rattles or problems, but the Bowers & Wilkins that was in my XFR was a far superior sound.
We listen through a Bang & Olufsen system at home so enjoy our music a lot, but tbh I only put the Meridian on when going for a long drive, not during the daily commute, I’d rather listen to the exhaust fanfare...
I can’t help thinking though a car in this price bracket should come with a premium sound system as standard.
2016 V8 R AWD Coupe Italian Racing Red, Black Alloys & Pano Roof
basher

Post by basher »

I'm more than happy with my 380W Meridien.

I've had B&O previously in a TT, and I have an expensive B&W system at home.

I don't tend to play music (mainly rock & metal) too loud so I can still enjoy the exhaust. It's perfectly adequate IMHO.
Rhodium silver F-Type 400 Sport AWD coupe.

PB Brakes big brake kit: drilled & slotted rotors, big yellow calipers. 😁

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post