Check Your Boot!

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
tapg

Post by tapg »

My car is kept outside and only used at weekends, last Sunday I spotted a few spots of mould inside the boot while putting some shopping in. Now I have always been aware that people have had issues with leaks in the boot so have checked for wet areas often. Sunday I found nothing wet but thought needs a desiccant pack and check. Last night the packs arrived and I had the boot panels out and was shocked at what by what I found.

20200311_173202.jpg

So please check under the floor panels ! As you can see from the tide mark in pic the water has been moving around nicely :? . I have yet to find where all the rust has come from.....
2016 Caldera Red, 19in Centrifuge, Pan roof, Z93Z sport design pack, Switchable Active Exhaust and black pack.

simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Some other older cars have had the issue.

Link to full article - viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3141&hilit=Boot+water+battery

Link to fix in above article - viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3141&hilit=Boot+wa ... =10#p29814

Hope that helps and you get it sorted.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
tapg

Post by tapg »

Yes thanks I have viewed these but thought given the heavy rain of late it might be worth a new post and people having a look. Because if it had not been for a couple of spots of mould I would never have found this and hate to think of what could have happened. It bad enough already with the car just hitting 4 years on the road and under 43k miles. What I really need now is a nice friendly dealer in Essex!
2016 Caldera Red, 19in Centrifuge, Pan roof, Z93Z sport design pack, Switchable Active Exhaust and black pack.
scm

Post by scm »

Ah, I can now justify being lazy and not installing a CTEK comfort connector - I have to lift the cubby to connect the clips when I recharge so I can see it's still nice and dry. ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

That looks horrendous! I’m amazed you haven’t had any electrical issues.

Hope it gets sorted quickly. 😯
tapg

Post by tapg »

GusA wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:56 am That looks horrendous! I’m amazed you haven’t had any electrical issues.

Hope it gets sorted quickly. 😯
Yeah I was stunned didn't know if to drain or just get some Goldfish! Otherthan the sat nav never finding a satellite and always thinking the car is Market Harborough electrics seem good... The Nav has never worked in 5 months I have had the car and I know others have had this issue.
tapg

Post by tapg »

scm wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:32 am Ah, I can now justify being lazy and not installing a CTEK comfort connector - I have to lift the cubby to connect the clips when I recharge so I can see it's still nice and dry. ;)
Do you just connect across battery or connect to power bars? As have seen a post saying you need to use the bar connection. Wiring in the Ctek was a job for the weekend but I now have more pressing issue it seems!
Philskill

Post by Philskill »

Oh, needs some serious cleaning, get some Contact Cleaner too for once you've got all the water and dirt out, to clean the electricals.

For the CTEK kit, checkout the end of my thread here where I did mine and got some good advice too.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3920&start=60
MY19 Carpathian Grey R-Dynamic P300, Black pack in and out, 12 way Memory seats, Climate Pack, Park assist, Meridian Surround, switchable exhaust.
Tel

Post by Tel »

In most of my motoring career I was lucky to have leaky cars!
The only reliable solution to fixing them was to pop a small hole in the offending panels' floor to let it out!

I know we shouldn't have to, but it may not be such a daft idea.... I'd rather have damp than a pool of water in that area for obvious reasons. Of course I'd rather it be dry.

I'm not convinced though by the point of entry. I will check and double check the manual...I believe the ingress is from above, i.e boot seal or blocked drainage channels. The other point of entry is between the seams of the aluminium panels.

Have checked the manual and the Air extractions vents allude me.

Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 17.41.15.png

They may be the rectangular cut outs just outboard of 'A'. If that is the case, then the chances of getting water up into them is remote.

Here's the manual schpiel on leaks in that area:

Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 17.37.09.png

2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
tapg

Post by tapg »

Tel wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:33 pm In most of my motoring career I was lucky to have leaky cars!
The only reliable solution to fixing them was to pop a small hole in the offending panels' floor to let it out!

I know we shouldn't have to, but it may not be such a daft idea.... I'd rather have damp than a pool of water in that area for obvious reasons. Of course I'd rather it be dry.

I'm not convinced though by the point of entry. I will check and double check the manual...I believe the ingress is from above, i.e boot seal or blocked drainage channels. The other point of entry is between the seams of the aluminium panels.

Have checked the manual and the Air extractions vents allude me.

Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 17.41.15.png

They may be the rectangular cut outs just outboard of 'A'. If that is the case, then the chances of getting water up into them is remote.

Here's the manual schpiel on leaks in that area:
Thanks for the info, It's almost dried out now and I am trying to track down the source. While the removable boot floor panel and battery cover is dry, also the parcel shelf but the cubby is soaking on one corner. So at the moment I am thinking a bit more drying and cleaning then the process of running water over it begins. Plus I am going to sound out one of the local dealers...
I'm a newbie with leaks, only my Boxster has a minor leak in cabin if i put the hardtop on. Leave it with soft top on and it's fine !

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post