Remote key fob

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Rogere

Post by Rogere »

Hi
Probably being a wee bit lazy here and should have checked the forum
But, humour me!

Having trouble locking the car if the key fob is cold. Works OK if I keep the key fob warm.

Do I need to change the battery? Can I change the battery? Do all F Types have the same key fob battery?

Thanks guys!
2016 F Type SVR. Firesand. A riot of black and orange!

scm

Post by scm »

Could be a low voltage battery. CR2032, fitting instructions should be in your manual (end of the Entering the Vehicle section). Its a bit fiddly, but basically you slide the chrome edges off and then the fob splits in two. Lever out the old battery and pop the new one in, clip it all back together and you're done! Might be worth doing both fobs as in my experience the batteries run down pretty much together (assuming they've been previously changed at the same time, of course!).
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

To answer remaining part of your question key fob batteries are not rechargeable so just replace with the size recommended above
Choose a quality brand as cheapo makes tend not to perform well (personal experience :( )

It’s a 1 minute job to do with the hardest bit removing the silver side of the key. Press the silver on a hard surface and it will slide 3mm and then lift off
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
scm

Post by scm »

cj10jeeper wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:42 am To answer remaining part of your question key fob batteries are not rechargeable ...
The OP didn't ask about charging, but changing! ;)
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

scm wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:01 am
cj10jeeper wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:42 am To answer remaining part of your question key fob batteries are not rechargeable ...
My read of 'Do I need to change the battery? Can I change the battery?' was that it was implied and given the vast majority of cars these days charge their fob batteries it makes sense to eliminate that possibility.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
scm

Post by scm »

cj10jeeper wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:10 am
scm wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:01 am
My read of 'Do I need to change the battery? Can I change the battery?' was that it was implied and given the vast majority of cars these days charge their fob batteries it makes sense to eliminate that possibility.
Not sure about implied but you cetainly inferred it. And "charge" wasn'r mentioned at all. Do the vast majority have rechargeable batteries nowadays?
Rogere

Post by Rogere »

Good lord guys...a wealth of info.
Just to clarify, I didn’t expect to be able to charge it.....and didn’t know of any fobs that could be ( which sounds like a great idea)
What I wasn’t sure if was whether I can change the battery or if it was a Jag dealer job.

Delighted to now know the type and size of battery, that I don’t need to go to Jag and how to do it myself.

Most importantly it’s really good to know that so many people are there to help and advise. That what the forum is for

Roger
scm

Post by scm »

Rogere wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:59 pm What I wasn’t sure of was whether I can change the battery or if it was a Jag dealer job.
I dread to think of the labour you'd be charged for that 5 minute job! :lol:
Rogere

Post by Rogere »

Yeah but 3 cappuccinos and a couple of crunchy biscuits lessen the pain!
chicb

Post by chicb »

Lots of youtube videos showing how to change it. If you can't find one on Ftype, look up Range Rover video. Same fob
F type convertible, (gone)
Range Rover Sport,
S63 AMG Coupe Mercedes
Porsche 911 (992) Carrera 4S

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post