Cannot open the doors

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Hope someone can help with this.

The battery on my MY16 F Type 340 has gone completely flat and the doors will not open with the key fob. The car was due to go into the dealer on Thursday to investigate battery warning message but Covid19 scuppered that.
I consulted the owners guide and tried to open the door using the emergency key blade in the fob. No success. The key turns in the lock but the door doesn’t open.
Has anyone come across this before or can offer some advice please ?
I am loathe to squirt WD40 into the lock and possibly make things worse.
Regards

scm

Post by scm »

MikeF wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:33 pmThe key turns in the lock but the door doesn’t open.
Has anyone come across this before or can offer some advice please ?
Have you tried pulling the handle after turning the key? When my battery went flat I had the same thing but didn't think to pull the handle! The AA tech put me wise. ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Thanks SCM. I believe I did pull the handle but I will give it another go with a bit more enthusiasm. This is the first time I have ever had to do this so the lock may just be a bit sticky.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Update. I have got into the car by doing the opposite of what it says in the owners manual. You need to turn the emergency key towards the rear of the car not the front as it says in the manual. Might just be my car but it definitely works the other way around. Only opens the drivers door so still cannot get at the battery.
Rivendell has said he had the same battery warning immediately after having his car serviced and MOT’d. Jaguar Assistance told him it happens a lot. This is exactly what happened to me. Will be mad if the dealership caused this problem.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Can’t get to the battery but you can get to the front battery terminal/jump start box under the bonnet
MY15 Coupe V8R Carbon Ceramic Brakes, 20" Anthracite Wheels Panoramic Roof, Meridian 770
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Yep.
And likely the text is for LHD and they missed the text correction for RHD.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Thanks guys. I will take a look under the bonnet. I am sure you are right about the text Lunar. Shows where they sell most f types I suppose.
chicb

Post by chicb »

Instead of taking it to the dealer, you would be better taking it to an Auto Electrician. My Range Rover kept coming up with low battery warnings even after being on Ctek. It is a similar electrical system to Jaguar. They diagnosed a parasitic drain but it took them three days to find it. They had to try something, allow the car to go to sleep then see if that was the fault, so very time consuming, but obviously they were working on other cars while the car was going to sleep etc. so not as they were charging me for three days work. These things are murder to find, it could be the first thing they try or the last. Main dealer won't have a clue if it does not show up on fault reader. Mine went in there first, but their answer was "nothing wrong, use the car more"
Get yours on a Ctek or equivalent, use the under bonnet connections to hook it up to. My Jag came with a fag lighter socket in the boot which has a permanent feed, so really simple. I have now added the fag lighter socket arrangement into my Range Rover boot
F type convertible, (gone)
Range Rover Sport,
S63 AMG Coupe Mercedes
Porsche 911 (992) Carrera 4S

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post