Battery low and battery maintenance

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
scm

Post by scm »

Rivendell wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:48 amI have heard that you can close the boot and keep the battery ticking over through the winter. Instinctively this seems to either risk the charger cable, the boot waterproofing (or both) while also risking increased temperatures during charging.
I've used a CTEK on my three previous, and now my current, Jaguars and have had no problems with charging with the boot closed. I run a mains extension lead into the boot so the CTEK is fully in the boot while charging (I have to charge outside on the drive) and haven't had any issues with clamping the 10A mains lead with the boot lid. Just make sure it clears the lock(!) and don't always use the exact same area to run it out. I take out the boot cubby and put the CTEK on the metal boot panel to assist in heat dissipation, but the charger doesn't get very hot in use.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

Rivendell

Post by Rivendell »

Thanks SCM - seems the boot idea works really well.
BRG V6 with 20 inch alloys and the Exhaust switch!
Tel

Post by Tel »

Been running a CTEK for 5 years with the F now.

As most folk have the battery maintainers hooked up to the positive busbar, it is imperative that a fuse is put in the +ve side of the charging cable.

I have been close to a dead short where a metallic object in the boot sat squarely across the two terminals of the CTEK comfort plug...the rubber protector I had forgotten to re-fit.

Now, it may be a million to one chance of it actually making electrical contact, but that's a fire waiting to happen, as is shutting the cable in the boot as I do.
God knows how many times the cable is getting squidged, but to mitigate any risk, a 5 amp inline blade fuse will pop before any damage can be done.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

Fortunately the 3 Carcoon conditioners I use all have the fuse already.
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
Rivendell

Post by Rivendell »

Tel wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:33 pm ... a 5 amp inline blade fuse will pop before any damage can be done.
Thanks Tel. Good advice.
BRG V6 with 20 inch alloys and the Exhaust switch!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post