Lazy dashboard heating vent.

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Timbo wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:57 pm
simpleR wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:21 am Are we on about the centre vents that rise out the dashboard? They only come up to cool (not heat).
Perhaps that's why your getting mixed results?
Not true simpleR, well not in the UK anyway, heat, cold or whatever i have on if i press the screen to put it on my face it rises up.
If what you said is correct how are you supposed to warm your hands and body??
I am UK. We met.
On AUTO mine only rise when cooling.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)

davidd

Post by davidd »

Mine only rises when cooling.
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

Mine’s on auto and rises eventually during heating, MY20
scm

Post by scm »

Mine's on auto and I know when winter's coming become it stops rising and doesn't rise again until well into spring!
I've heard that it only vents cold air, which makes sense since hot air rises so it would only serve to heat the roof.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Convertibles rise for heating too.
Nice to have a vent each side for your hands when it’s a frosty morning.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Roger T

Post by Roger T »

Roger T wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:27 pm Both last year and this when I started using my convertible in March after four month SORNed the dashboard rise and fall heating vent failed to work. After a few days it tries and then after a week works sometimes, then fully sorted after 2 weeks. Not wanting to force it, as pulling plastic bits on a Jaguar is not a great idea I tended to assist it when it started to move. It is not clear how it all works but suspect an electric stepper motor that stalls due to it being stiff. There is no obvious place to squirt WD40 and sort it for next year. Does anyone else have this issue?
It did go for a service but that was after it had woken up, so no fault to find at £120/hr.
Put my F type convertible back on the road on March 1st and it took till the 20th for the rising vent to wake up!. It is possible that it is temperature related as there has not been much sun until the 20th. It has become an annual event waiting for the vent mechanism to come out of hibernation.
scm

Post by scm »

Roger T wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:12 pm Put my F type convertible back on the road on March 1st and it took till the 20th for the rising vent to wake up!. It is possible that it is temperature related as there has not been much sun until the 20th. It has become an annual event waiting for the vent mechanism to come out of hibernation.
I know spring is well on the way when my vent rises! I assume yours is set to Auto, too?
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Roger T wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:27 pm Both last year and this when I started using my convertible in March after four month SORNed the dashboard rise and fall heating vent failed to work. After a few days it tries and then after a week works sometimes, then fully sorted after 2 weeks. Not wanting to force it, as pulling plastic bits on a Jaguar is not a great idea I tended to assist it when it started to move. It is not clear how it all works but suspect an electric stepper motor that stalls due to it being stiff. There is no obvious place to squirt WD40 and sort it for next year. Does anyone else have this issue?
It did go for a service but that was after it had woken up, so no fault to find at £120/hr.
Roger T wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:12 pm Put my F type convertible back on the road on March 1st and it took till the 20th for the rising vent to wake up!. It is possible that it is temperature related as there has not been much sun until the 20th. It has become an annual event waiting for the vent mechanism to come out of hibernation.

The rising of the centre vent is indeed temperature related when in ‘Auto’.

If you turn the cabin temp down, the vent will come out of hibernation sooner but you may find this uncomfortable (too cold).

If you want to manually open (rise) the vent, select the face mode on the climate screen and to close (lower) the vent select the foot mode (as shown in the photos).

Alternatively you can go into Climate settings and change from ‘Auto’ to ‘Always Open’. I have mine set in 'Auto' as I don't want the vent to 'Always Open'.

If, after using these methods, the centre vent still doesn’t open (rise), it isn’t working correctly. This is the reason that I repaired mine......

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5183

8.JPG

9.JPG

2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Mine quickly rises on Auto too - after a few minutes when the engine has started to warm up.

Bear in mind there will be differences in operation based on coupe / vert (and roof up or down) and perhaps MY also.

I rarely set the temp to anything extreme (23 C on start to 20 C at this time of year - normally roof down) as it has no effect on the warmth of the incoming air, only helping to determine when the system moderates fan speed, vent adjustments etc. - hence RPSN's comment on using the temp control to check if your vent is operating correctly.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Northnoble

Post by Northnoble »

Mine sticks every winter....and then miraculously when temps get above 15 degrees it starts working fine again....if your car is out of warranty, my advice would be live with it...and pray for warmer weather :D
Jaguar F-Type 5.0s Convertible - Italian Racing Red, Gloss black wheels and trim
Porsche Macan S
Ariel Atom 3 300

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post