Horn & Heated Steering Wheel Not Working After Steering Wheel Change

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
blue380

Post by blue380 »

Hey all,

I just bought a 2017 380 R Dynamic Convertible and my bother has a 2013 V6S. My brother has changed the steering wheel on my car from the stock one to a flat bottom sport wheel. All the electronics and airbag are retained from my car and put into the new wheel, only the carcass of the wheel has changed. He did this following exactly the same steps he successfully took for his 2013 car when he changed the wheel on that one. This involves disconnecting the battery and waiting for the backup battery to drain so the airbag cannot fire during the changeover.

Now the new wheel is fitted, the horn and heated steering wheel button do not work. Everything else (cruise, stereo buttons etc) works fine. The fuses for both the horn and heated wheel are fine, and because the wiring and buttons are all from the original car there is no reason to think they are broken (we've had the wheel off and back on again to check for any bad connections).

Can anyone shed any light on what the issue might be here? I've read that some systems may need a hard reset after the battery has fully drained, but I'm not sure if that involves an ECU plugin at a dealer or whether there is any form of reset we can perform independently? If it is a need for some kind of hard reset it seems strange the horn would be affected... would welcome any thoughts.

MoJo88

Post by MoJo88 »

Usually when your horn doesn't work after you've played about with the steering wheel it is either the squibb is faulty/incorrect or you might have nipped a wire when put the airbag back in. Check the wiring first as it's easier. I did the same thing a nipped a wire when putting the airbag back in.
scz4

Post by scz4 »

Sorry, I can't help you with your problem, but what tool did you use to remove the steering wheels itself? I know the airbag can be removed with flat head screendrivers. I have the same job to do.
MoJo88

Post by MoJo88 »

The wheel comes off like most other steering wheels. One large bolt through the middle, can't remember the size. The airbag is trickier, i used an L shaped tool with a groove at the tip to lock onto the springed metal bit.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post