Recharging a flat battery using the Ctek mxs 5.0

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
KenC

Post by KenC »

scm wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:46 pm
KenC wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:45 pm So, to be clear as I have a 2020MY P300, can I can ignore all the threads I've been reading over the last week or so and attach a battery conditioner directly to the +/- poles of the battery in the boot?
If you're using clips that's probably okay, but if you're wiring in a Comfort Connector, it's probably better not to add wires at the battery terminals to make changing it easier.
Thanks, yes clips, in the hope this is a temporary situation.........
2019 F-Type Coupe, P300 R Dynamic (Sold)
2016 Mini Countryman Cooper S All4.
2009 Ferrari 430 Scuderia.

Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

KenC wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:45 pm So, to be clear as I have a 2020MY P300, can I can ignore all the threads I've been reading over the last week or so and attach a battery conditioner directly to the +/- poles of the battery in the boot?
Should be fine, if you’re using crocodile clips just be careful they can’t get dislodged if you close the boot
KenC

Post by KenC »

GusA wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:16 pm
Should be fine, if you’re using crocodile clips just be careful they can’t get dislodged if you close the boot
Good point, thanks - if it looks tight I'll remove the parcel shelf so that I can see them.
Tel

Post by Tel »

@KENC - So as there is absolute clarity you need to look at the JLR recommended connections for YOUR MODEL car. Your dealer should help. That way there is no confusion.

It would appear that the connections may be different from what I'm reading in your posts....Most of us with anything from 2014 onwards with either the single or dual battery systems have a Battery Monitoring System (BMS) on the neg terminal in SERIES with it.

For others that may be wondering what the hell we are talking about;

The BMS regularly samples the battery Current AND Voltage and sends feedback to the Gateway module (GWM) and QCCM. This in turn adjusts output/rate of charge from the alternator as required. A simple feedback loop within the ECM/IC and GWM.

Heres a rough schematic showing what you should or might see on your negative post....ITEM 7

Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 21.40.00.png

2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
KenC

Post by KenC »

Thanks for the warning and detailed explanation Tel. I'll not rush into anything until absolutely certain I'm doing it correctly. My Scud is plug and play and has been on a battery conditioner for nearly 11 years so I never thought it could be so complicated!
steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

That above is correct. But why does it matter. You surely as I always do, remove the charging plug before running your car. My Vivaro van has the same system. Both have the oxford optimisers fitted & never had a problem with the van & recently fitted to car. Car 2017 5.0. Van 2016 bi turbo. Those systems are not active with the car parked surely. It's a engine running feature. So the vehicle has the optimum charge rates while driving.
Steve.
2017 f type 5.0 R AWD Glacier Pearl white Cabriolet
Sports seats 14way. Powerfold mirrors, Keyless. Hp Brakes, Split rims,
Heated screen. Meridian 380w.
ninetails

Post by ninetails »

The battery monitoring system is always monitoring the state of the battery, even when parked, ignition off and doors locked.
340 coupe auto 2016MY, ammonite/corris grey, red performance heated seats, pano roof, 20" turbine wheels, switchable active exhaust, front & rear parking sensors, rear camera.
johnsoncp

Post by johnsoncp »

This is the connection to my negative battery terminal. You can quite clearly see that the chassis wire (the fat black one) is connected directy to the battery. Whilst it's almost certainly true that the battery monitoring system is in fact always taking care of the battery, it really makes no difference connecting the charger crocodile clip to either the chassis or negative terminal.

negative.jpg

2019 White P300 Coupe
ianp

Post by ianp »

I have just done a weekly shop with my F type. The car hasnt been used since last Thursday. When I returned to the car after shopping, I got a warning Battery Low, Start Engine. I live in a block of flats have off road parking but no power points to charge the battery if it becomes dead. Is it advisable to start the car each day for say 30 minutes too keep the battery charged. Actually I'm going to post this on the technical section as well. Thanks for your advise.
F-TYPE P300 2019MY R-Dynamic, Santorini, 20" Diamonds, Climate, Park & Meridian Surround.
Pre: XE P250 2017MY R-Dynamic, Caesium.
Audio: Meridian 808v5, 861v4, DSP7.2k L/R, DSP5k C, DSP33 R & DSW 1500 Sub.
johnsoncp

Post by johnsoncp »

ianp wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:12 am I have just done a weekly shop with my F type. The car hasnt been used since last Thursday. When I returned to the car after shopping, I got a warning Battery Low, Start Engine. I live in a block of flats have off road parking but no power points to charge the battery if it becomes dead. Is it advisable to start the car each day for say 30 minutes too keep the battery charged. Actually I'm going to post this on the technical section as well. Thanks for your advise.
My car seems to last about two weeks before I get the low battery warning. I wouldn't start it every day and just let it idle but try and keep the engine running longer when you do start it. A car that isn't used not only has battery problems but issues relating to the oil draining from the cylinder walls. At the moment I am trying to start mine once every two or three weeks, getting it up to temperature in the drive, moving forwards and backwards a bit to get the gearbox working and avoid wheel bearing and tyre damage. A mixture of idling and about 1500 rpm. I'm not sure what everyone else is doing but I can't take it for a real drive so doing the best I can.
2019 White P300 Coupe

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post