Charging a nearly flat battery with no access to power points

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
ianp

Post by ianp »

I have just done a weekly shop with my F type. The car hasn't been used since last Thursday. When I returned to the car after shopping, I got the warning Battery Low, Start Engine. I live in a block of flats, have off road parking but no power points to charge the battery if it becomes dead. Is it advisable to start the car each day for say 30 minutes too keep the battery charged. Thanks for your advise.
F-TYPE P300 2019MY R-Dynamic, Santorini, 20" Diamonds, Climate, Park & Meridian Surround.
Pre: XE P250 2017MY R-Dynamic, Caesium.
Audio: Meridian 808v5, 861v4, DSP7.2k L/R, DSP5k C, DSP33 R & DSW 1500 Sub.

Deleted User 2510

Post by Deleted User 2510 »

Have you thought about using a solar panel to trickle charge the battery. Not as good as a Ctek but could be an alternative solution. Popular in marine and caravan uses.
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Battery should be fine after 6 days.

Mine is 3yrs old, never seen a battery charger or conditioner in its life. Has been left for 6+ weeks before without issues and fired mine up after 17 days at the weekend to go shopping and no issues at all.

Do you have any mods? Do you have InControl setup on your phone? The car should say it is sleep mode after 5 days I think.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
scm

Post by scm »

The car goes to sleep pretty soon after it's switched off - it becomes deep sleep and uncontactable after 4 days. I've found mine doesn't respond to remote commands after 2 days, which is annoying. Within those 2 days I can set a wakeup time, and can confirm that works as designed. The snag is knowing in advance when I want the car to wake up these days!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Chrissyg

Post by Chrissyg »

ianp wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:14 am I have just done a weekly shop with my F type. The car hasn't been used since last Thursday. When I returned to the car after shopping, I got the warning Battery Low, Start Engine. I live in a block of flats, have off road parking but no power points to charge the battery if it becomes dead. Is it advisable to start the car each day for say 30 minutes too keep the battery charged. Thanks for your advise.
Are you double locking the car? That's the process that puts the car to "sleep" mode after a few days as is my understanding..? Will help a bit once charged, although doesn't immediately resolve your issue.
20MY D240 RR Velar - Firenze Red
200tdi Defender 90
Ex-MOD SWB Series III Land Rover
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Solar powered sounds like a good idea. Don’t know if screens deflect too much direct light but a quick google show maintenance version as well as simple trickle chargers

Certainly would not run the motor from cold on idle every day. You’re more likely to flatten than charge it and minor potential engine damage
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Elementad

Post by Elementad »

With you getting the warning, in honesty, if it was me, I would try and ask a friend with a driveway (keep your distance obviously) and try to electronically condition your battery for a day or so OR try to source a new one ready for when this one gives in. If you don’t (as it IS a gamble with the solar panel version) then you may find yourself calling jag assist to help you out soon.

Hope that helps.

Below not intended for OP:
It’s amazing how many different recommended battery threads I see. Everyone’s bought a luxury (not cheap) car but a lot look for alternative cheap ways in which to charge the car if any at all.
I’m on my second F type and been using them for over 5 years now. My first one had the same dash display OP mentions which is quickly followed by affecting other electronic functions. I bought the Jag conditioner which may well be a ctek but it comes as a one box solution with the neatest/most discreet connection points I’ve seen, along with warranty and clear fitting instructions and if you search (as mentioned on a previous thread) you can get them in some cases cheaper than the ctek which requires bundling with the connector kit etc. Everyone’s different I guess 🙄

My current F Type is left on a jag conditioner when not used. No problems.

You will find these modern batteries are not as good as the older generation batteries and don’t last as long. Cold winters affect also (which we haven’t had this year). If you catch it now with a battery conditioner you may have a chance to revive it. Sooner or later everyone’s battery will need to be replaced. Better using a conditioner (if you can).
F Type R AWD coupe
(Previous car) F Type V6S convertible
Deleted User 2510

Post by Deleted User 2510 »

Elementad wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:47 pm
Below not intended for OP:
It’s amazing how many different recommended battery threads I see. Everyone’s bought a luxury (not cheap) car but a lot look for alternative cheap ways in which to charge the car if any at all.
Was just a suggestion to consider solar based on OP not having access to mains power. I agree there is a gold standard to this topic but in this case, I believe an alternative solution could be worthwhile. Doubt it would be viable in the winter or long term but possibly useful while we are currently in lockdown.
Tel

Post by Tel »

ianp wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:14 am I have just done a weekly shop with my F type. The car hasn't been used since last Thursday. When I returned to the car after shopping, I got the warning Battery Low, Start Engine. I live in a block of flats, have off road parking but no power points to charge the battery if it becomes dead. Is it advisable to start the car each day for say 30 minutes too keep the battery charged. Thanks for your advise.
No it is not.

Have a SEARCH on the forums, this has been discussed before.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

I used to use a cheap solar panel inside the windscreen on my mum's car, which often didn't move for a month. Although very small charging current, it did stop the battery going flat.
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post