Headlight use in LHD Countries

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
01286p

Post by 01286p »

I was surprised to read on another jaguar F Type forum that the Headlights UK supplied cars will not pass the Spanish Mot and have to be changed for LHD units as I was of the understanding from the manual that the lights do not need adjusting for European driving.
In the days of old one put a "blinker" on the lens or later manually switch......Does anyone know how an F Type lights can and do comply with driving regulations for both sides of the road?

JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

Xenon and LED headlamps don't need the old style stick on diffusers as they have a much flatter beam. Most manufacturers don't even gave a switch to alter the beam. We travel a lot in Europe and have never had any issue with modern headlights.
The Spanish ITV though is a very different matter being much more stringent than the UK MoT.
I cannot imagine that UK headlights would pass an ITV.

Our local car club chairman here will know fir sure as he deals in cars from both countries.

I will check with him and revert.

Are you looking at importing a UK car into Spain?
Rob
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
01286p

Post by 01286p »

I too have travelled throughout Europe with never a problem so was intrigued by the Forum Heading.
No am not going to import my car to Spain.
The following JLR reply is copied from the Forum Post, which makes one wonder what the differences are and also why UK lights might not be acceptable in Spain.
The headlamp beam pattern is suitable for driving on either side of the road. There is no need for any mechanical adjustment orc external decals.”

It was to my surprise that when trying to pass the Spanish MOT test that the car failed on the headlamp beam pattern. I contacted Jaguar who came back with the following statement:

“Driving abroad … would not refer to permanent homologation and registration of the vehicle in another market as there is no requirement to register a vehicle abroad to simply visit.”
daytona650

Post by daytona650 »

I imported my F-Type to France a number of years ago and no - it will not pass a European MOT equivalent.

Its fine for touring but they do have a subtle flick up.

I bought two LHD headlights 2nd hand and fitted them myself - they are very easy to change. I ended up spending about £800 which was cheap - full price for new can be a lot more.

I even bought a badly damaged headlight unit off ebay to look at stripping one to see how easy it would be to change the metal plate inside which determines the beam shape (as that's all it is). Don't bother, they are glued very heavily and big units so they dont even fit in the kitchen oven to soften the glue (as I tried) :lol:

If anyone does need to buy some, do not buy them from the US as they have different light configuration which isn't legal in Europe.
2013 V6S Convertible - Salsa Red, Performance Seats, 20" Wheels, Climate Pack.
steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

I am sure on the Evoque we had , the menu had an option lhd or rhd. That was with Xenon lighting Thought the Jag would have the same.
Steve.
2017 f type 5.0 R AWD Glacier Pearl white Cabriolet
Sports seats 14way. Powerfold mirrors, Keyless. Hp Brakes, Split rims,
Heated screen. Meridian 380w.
Glaf

Post by Glaf »

There is an option my cars menu to adjust the headlights to suit left or right hand drive and my car is a 2016 V6 model so I assume that applies to all.
V6 Coupe, 2015, white with black pack, panoramic roof, 20" black Cylones, red callipers. 8-)
TVR Griffith 4.3, 1992, owned for 5 wonderful years.
Tel

Post by Tel »

Jag/Landrover have the menu selection that you mention... Its not for beam pattern.

It's to selects which opto sensor is used to react to oncoming headlights when using AHBA main beam assist mode I believe.

Our XFS shooting brake has exactly the same.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
Glaf

Post by Glaf »

Glaf wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:55 am There is an option my cars menu to adjust the headlights to suit left or right hand drive and my car is a 2016 V6 model so I assume that applies to all.
Just checked my cars manual and page 49 states that there is no need for any mechanical adjustment or external decals.

08F5051F-636A-4E05-B8A8-C0489A55D9E9.jpeg

V6 Coupe, 2015, white with black pack, panoramic roof, 20" black Cylones, red callipers. 8-)
TVR Griffith 4.3, 1992, owned for 5 wonderful years.
scm

Post by scm »

Glaf wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:26 am
Glaf wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:55 am There is an option my cars menu to adjust the headlights to suit left or right hand drive and my car is a 2016 V6 model so I assume that applies to all.
Just checked my cars manual and page 49 states that there is no need for any mechanical adjustment or external decals.
Yeah, definitely doesn't apply to all. Must be MY and headlight type specific, remember there were a number of different headlights over the years.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
01286p

Post by 01286p »

Ii seems very likely that UK lights do not comply with Spanish (European) regulations but are permissible for use only whilst visiting, hence the JRL original statement after contacting Jaguar who came back with the following:-

“Driving abroad … would NOT refer to permanent homologation and registration of the vehicle in another market as there is no requirement to register a vehicle abroad to simply visit.”

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post