Headlight use in LHD Countries

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

01286p wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:29 pm Ii seems very likely that UK lights do not comply with Spanish (European) regulations but are permissible for use only whilst visiting, hence the JRL original statement after contacting Jaguar who came back with the following:-

“Driving abroad … would NOT refer to permanent homologation and registration of the vehicle in another market as there is no requirement to register a vehicle abroad to simply visit.”
Exactly this. UK headlights would not pass the Spanish ITV, nor I guess the equivalent French test.
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel

Tel

Post by Tel »

^ +1
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

I thought you could not MOT a RHD car in Spain any more.
2017 f type 5.0 R AWD Glacier Pearl white Cabriolet
Sports seats 14way. Powerfold mirrors, Keyless. Hp Brakes, Split rims,
Heated screen. Meridian 380w.
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

As long as it conforms to all the homologation rules, yes you can still ITV right hand drive cars here.
We have several in our Classic Car Club that are on Spanish plates, both historic and standard plates.
Red soft top
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
daytona650

Post by daytona650 »

JurassicF wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:08 am As long as it conforms to all the homologation rules, yes you can still ITV right hand drive cars here.
We have several in our Classic Car Club that are on Spanish plates, both historic and standard plates.
Same in France. The important document is the full European certificate of conformity, which you need to obtain separately from the manufacturer - it is not the statements you get in the manual or receive with the car normally. Some RHD re-registered cars in France are now allowed to have official deflectors fitted to save cost however the beam at night is not as complete as proper LHD units.

I've re-registered 5 RHD cars and 3 motorcycles in France over the last 5 years and all of them have needed new LHD headlights. Some have needed new positions for fog and reversing lights - thankfully the F-Type doesn't need a different fog light.

At the time I moved over to France, I managed to have a conversation with the guy who designed the headlights on the F-Type (after lots of conversations with Jag Customer Service about the lights) and he confirmed they all have a small flick the right / wrong way (you can see it on a wall). They were going to change the wording in the manuals as a result of my conversations as I was seemingly the first to bring it to their attention on the F-Type (but mine is an early one).

The same is true for newer LED based headlights too - i have a RHD SEAT Leon with full LED that will need them changed.
2013 V6S Convertible - Salsa Red, Performance Seats, 20" Wheels, Climate Pack.
Philskill

Post by Philskill »

Yes seems fairly clear, as a temporary visit the lights are ok to use, but to permanently reside the car in the country such that it would need a local MOT, it would need converting properly.
MY19 Carpathian Grey R-Dynamic P300, Black pack in and out, 12 way Memory seats, Climate Pack, Park assist, Meridian Surround, switchable exhaust.
steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

I am still confused because I used to just about live in Majorca. I was talking to a local who was English & he had a Fiesta, RHD. He told me he would have to get rid of it as next year RHD cars can not be registered in Spain due to the amount of Deaths caused. This was something like 1995.
2017 f type 5.0 R AWD Glacier Pearl white Cabriolet
Sports seats 14way. Powerfold mirrors, Keyless. Hp Brakes, Split rims,
Heated screen. Meridian 380w.
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

We still have a lot of Spanish registered rhd cars in our car club that pass the ITV.
Red soft top
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post