Charge F-Type battery

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
scm

Post by scm »

Backofthenet wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:39 pm OK - i'll use the clips - they did seem to be putting a charge through - one more question - will the boot shut with the power lead trailing out?
i put the charger in the boot and trail a 10A mains lead out of the boot. It's never caused me any problems so far. Just make sure to avoid the catch!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

Northnoble

Post by Northnoble »

Just don’t do what I did a while ago.....I used to reverse into the garage and connect the charger and then close the boot (no issues with the cable under the boot).

However, one day in a hurry, jumped in the car, started her and drove out the garage.....bang, pulled the cable straight out of the CTEK charger!!!!!.....thankfully no damage whatsoever to the car or paintwork. But boy did I feel stupid :roll:

I now always drive into the garage, so when I open the garage door I see the charger cable attached!
Jaguar F-Type 5.0s Convertible - Italian Racing Red, Gloss black wheels and trim
Porsche Macan S
Ariel Atom 3 300
Backofthenet

Post by Backofthenet »

Thanks All,

the car will be outside (under covers) - Charger to be activated 30th, SORN on 31st for two months
jono_h

Post by jono_h »

Northnoble wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:44 pm Just don’t do what I did a while ago.....I used to reverse into the garage and connect the charger and then close the boot (no issues with the cable under the boot).

However, one day in a hurry, jumped in the car, started her and drove out the garage.....bang, pulled the cable straight out of the CTEK charger!!!!!.....thankfully no damage whatsoever to the car or paintwork. But boy did I feel stupid :roll:

I now always drive into the garage, so when I open the garage door I see the charger cable attached!
I’ve made a little sign that I put next to the start button when it’s on charge, reminding me ( and my Wife) to unplug before going anywhere!
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

Yep, direct connectors of a larger internal diameter available for a few quid.
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
Backofthenet

Post by Backofthenet »

OK silly question - can you start the car with the ctek connected?

i have a (very) slow puncture that will need inflating back to 40psi about every other week whilst car is SORN - i've got one of those portable digital tyre inflators that run off cigarette lighter so will start car and inflate every so often
scm

Post by scm »

Dunno the definitive answer, but I'd disconnect it, to be on the safe side.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Millwheel

Post by Millwheel »

I've started mine many times with the CTEK connected. No problems. I did once drive away while it was still connected... but fortunately I fitted the CTEK quick coupler on the cable between the boot lid and the wall charger. That snapped open and disconnected as soon as the cable went taught, so no damage done. Worthwhile mod for all of us with senior moments to handle. And yes I do have a large reminder sign on the centre panel, but I'd previously removed it during valeting and forgot to put it back.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post