Charge F-Type battery

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
MeKal

Post by MeKal »

Hi All,

I’m a proud F-Type 2013 V6S owner. It’s not my daily driver and sadly I don’t have as much time as I wish to enjoy it in the past few years. I do occasional journeys now and again over the weekends but sometimes it’s stationary for months.

I received recently a Low battery warning.

During the lockdown as all dealerships were shut I bought a charger online - Noco Genius10.

As I was not sure I completely removed the battery and charged it. It was a hassle.

Can I use this charger when the car is connected to the battery at the same time? Do I need to disconnect the car from the battery in order to charge it?

I’m absolute noob when it comes to electrics so please excuse my silly question!

Thanks in advance!

scm

Post by scm »

I have a CTEK MXS 5.0 and always charge the battery in the car. As you've found, it's a hassle to remove the battery, I really wouldn't do it.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
NAC63

Post by NAC63 »

Most people on here use the CTEK MXS 5.0 and just leave it connected whenever the car is stood for a while
2014 V8S Convertible in black all the extras plus lots of carbon bits.
H&R lowering springs
Eibach 15mm wheel spacers
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Hello MeKal,

Good choice of vehicle!

I and many other F-Type owners use the CTEK MXS 5.0 trickle charger which has a permanent plug-in connection in the car boot.

You should be able to wire up the Noco Genius 10 exactly the same way as the CTEK by using the M10 (10mm diameter) integrated eyelets supplied with it (don’t use the crocodile clips). This means that you’ll be able to charge the battery without removing it from the car and you simply plug in whenever need be.

The top photo shows the Noco Genius 10 wiring connections with integrated eyelets and the bottom photo shows where to connect them in the car boot.

Here’s the link for step-by-step instructions on installing the CTEK battery charger which should also apply to the Noco Genius 10........

https://howtune.com/articles/548-instal ... uar-f-type

1.png

2.jpg

2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
Moley

Post by Moley »

Hi RSPN, Had JLR assist out yesterday as my 19 2.0 r dynamic had a flat battery after being idle for just over a week. Looked at your very informative post re the CTEK MXS 5.0. Engineer said it was OK to charge from positive terminal and car body earth point both located under the bonnet. This would need the Crocodile clips. Is your way the preferred method as the charger is partially permanently connected to the power distribution block or is there some sort of issue with the bonnet option. Many thanks. Stay safe
MY 19 Carpathian Grey R - Dynamic P300 Convertible
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Hi Moley,

The positive/negative connections under the car bonnet are used for jump starting the vehicle but they can also be used to charge the battery (via crocodile clips etc) although this is not the recommended procedure.

The Jaguar TOPIx and CTEK procedure is to charge the battery from within the car boot by plugging into the permanently installed connection as shown in the CTEK MXS 5.0 installation link I posted.

If your battery is completely flat, I have read that the CTEK charger will not work until some charge is put into the battery. In this case you can start to charge with a traditional charger (via crocodile clips etc) from the connection points under the bonnet, but once enough charge has gone into the battery you should disconnect and charge it from within the car boot using the CTEK.

As you can see in the link and photo, the CTEK positive cable is connected to the bus bar inside the power distribution block and the negative is connected to the earth stud on the bodywork (see arrows on photo). You then just plug in to the trailing CTEK socket whenever need be without going through the process of re-connecting the cables.

It’s an excellent method in which to charge/maintain the battery.

Stay safe ;)
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Moley

Post by Moley »

Many thanks for reply. The set up for my 2019 2.0 looks slightly different in the boot from your pics. car is going to dealer on 2/6 so may try and bend the ear of one of their engineers as do not want to muck it up. In the mean time I will look up the TOPlx you have mentioned. Many thanks. Moley
MY 19 Carpathian Grey R - Dynamic P300 Convertible
scm

Post by scm »

Later models have a different configuration as shown in this post:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4379&start=30#p42836
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Moley wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:43 pm Many thanks for reply. The set up for my 2019 2.0 looks slightly different in the boot from your pics. car is going to dealer on 2/6 so may try and bend the ear of one of their engineers as do not want to muck it up. In the mean time I will look up the TOPlx you have mentioned. Many thanks. Moley

Yes, the set ups do vary between some vehicles. I’ve attached a photo of mine which was taken before I installed the CTEK.

I’ve also attached the Jaguar TOPIx document......‘F-Type Battery Charging Kit fitting instructions’.

Wiring the CTEK up in the car boot isn’t a difficult job to do.

All the best

1.JPG

TOPIx F-Type Battery Charging Kit fitting instructions.pdf
(1.7 MiB) Downloaded 582 times
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
MeKal

Post by MeKal »

Thank you all for your swift and detailed responses!

Btw call my crazy but I’ve been maintaining an extended manufacturer warranty. Can that be impacted by such installation?

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post