Supercharger Noise on cold engine start

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Paul

Post by Paul »

I have an F Type 380S and get a rattle, a bit like a can of nails when I start up from cold. It seems to almost go away once warmed up. It has been into the dealer who tell me that Jaguar have received some similar complaints and that they are looking into it!

Anyone else with the problem?
Paul

DRAT

Post by DRAT »

Hi Paul
I also have this noise. To me it is reminiscent of the noise made by old Audi 5 cylinder engines which were notorious for this. I understood it was a tappet noise caused by a lack of oil at startup from cold. In turn caused by blockage of the oilways at the top of the engine when there hadn't been frequent oil changes when the car was relatively new. As I could only ever afford older cars in those days there wasn't much I could do about it. However I asked the dealer about it & they said they were surprised that this would be a problem in this day and age but they'd had it on some other F's & were awaiting a response from Jaguar on it.
Clearly they've acknowledged it's an issue - might be time for a little prompt...
Paul

Post by Paul »

Hi

The noise I have is definitely the supercharger. They have fitted a service kit to it but that made no difference.

I have been in touch with Jaguar direct and they say they will get back in the New Year, but have not committed a date for a fix. Will keep at it!

I have recorded noise and will send under separate cover. If your sounds the same let me know!

(can't see how to send it through this posting)

Regards

Paul
Paul

Post by Paul »

thought I could get your e-mail. Please send it and will send you a short sound clip
Paul
Selborne

Post by Selborne »

Hi Paul, yes my 380s is the same, sounds like something is loose and rattling until it warms up,

most cars have some sort of rattle or issue, so I just warm the car gently and then get out on the road !!

Jamie
Tuxman

Post by Tuxman »

Yes ours does it too , just been into the dealer for its second service and they are concerned about the noisy supercharger !!!!
steveo35

Post by steveo35 »

Anyone get any joy on this , mine is making a hell of a noise on start up , sounds like a load of loose nails rattling in the rear of the exhaust... just been in for 2nd service and dealer are having to contact Jaguar ... the think the noise is being generated from the engine area ! (bit worrying)
Will try to start a new thread with a video of the noise
Steve
Tuxman

Post by Tuxman »

Marshal Jaguar in Peterborugh have changed our supercharger under warranty due to a rattle on shutdown , quiet as a mouse now . Although the poorly fitted water hose causing a breakdown di piss me off a bit although Jag assist sorted it pretty quickly .
steveo35

Post by steveo35 »

Tuxman , did you get any noise from the exhaust , glad u got your problem all sorted..I posted a pic about 2 hours ago on technical forum of my noise which seems to come through the exhaust
Steve
Tuxman

Post by Tuxman »

Not that I noticed , the only thing I could hear was a slight rattle when you switched the engine off .

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post