Rear Brake Pads

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
SESH

Post by SESH »

Just had my F Type 3.0 V6 S serviced at Jaguar main dealer and they tell me that I will need rear pads shortly. They have 4mm left.
I am going to get an indi to do the work as its less than half what Jaguar want!
I have 20 inch wheels with the high performance red brake calipers. Are these the 326 mm type discs?
In which case if they are, I think that the part number is T2R7945. Is this correct?
Thanks for any help.
Mike
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Highland Green
1966 Corvette Stingray Big Block
1973 E Type Convertible
1963 Triumph TR4
Ex F Type V6S MY2016

Lunar

Post by Lunar »

That looks to be correct yes.

The HP brake pack brings larger front discs only - up from 355mm on the P pack to 380mm.

But the rears are unchanged between the P and HP packs.

Although the Jag pads give excellent performance and modulation you may want to consider the possibility of a different pad with ceramic content for less dust.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Glaf

Post by Glaf »

SESH wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 12:02 am Just had my F Type 3.0 V6 S serviced at Jaguar main dealer and they tell me that I will need rear pads shortly. They have 4mm left.
I am going to get an indi to do the work as its less than half what Jaguar want!
I have 20 inch wheels with the high performance red brake calipers. Are these the 326 mm type discs?
In which case if they are, I think that the part number is T2R7945. Is this correct?
Thanks for any help.
Mike

Hi Mike,

I think you’ll find its the price of the OEM pads that make up a high proportion of the cost, I believe these are the TRW brand.

I have recently had my front brake pads replaced and was quoted £427 fitted from a local franchised main dealer, £275 of that was the OEM pads with an additional £38 for new sensor wires, that price included VAT. I thought that was a bit excessive so I investigated and was quoted £105 fitted from a reputable local independent and that included new wires and the VAT. I decided to give them a try and so far I’ve have had no issues.

I researched various alternative brands of pads and found there is quite a choice out there, all with different reviews. The independent I used recommended and uses APEC brake pads, they seem ok and have bedded in well. I guess only time will tell bearing in mind I don’t do track days.
https://www.apecbraking.co.uk/Products/Pads.aspx

I thought it’s worth mentioning that although the cars VIN number was used to specify the new pads they were the the incorrect size and had to be reordered from the supplier, I’m told that’s not the first time this has happened.

Hope this helps ;)
V6 Coupe, 2015, white with black pack, panoramic roof, 20" black Cylones, red callipers. 8-)
TVR Griffith 4.3, 1992, owned for 5 wonderful years.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

SESH wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 12:02 am Just had my F Type 3.0 V6 S serviced at Jaguar main dealer and they tell me that I will need rear pads shortly. They have 4mm left.
Thanks for any help.
Mike

The brake pad wear sensors are designed to trigger when the respective pad (front left inner and rear right inner) gets down to 4mm thick, so way before the pads are dangerously low.

Don’t blame you for getting the work done at an independent garage.......usually much cheaper than a main dealer!

The V6 S High Performance Braking System with red calipers has 380mm front and 325mm rear discs (see photo taken from the F-Type 2013 – 2015 brochure).

The Jaguar part number T2R7945 that you quoted for the rear pads is correct. When I replaced mine, I bought TRW pads from my local Motor Factors and haven’t noticed much brake dust with them.......it’s the fronts that produce most dust! When the fronts need changing I may go for the Porterfield pads which, I've read, are known to produce far less brake dust. Alternatively, I’ll have a look at other high quality pads.

If you buy rear brake pads from anywhere else other than a Jaguar main dealer (as I do), make sure that the pad dimensions are: Height 58mm / Length 104mm / Thickness 17mm. This is because sometimes the incorrect pads can be supplied.

1.JPG

2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
XZ4

Post by XZ4 »

I did the same with the rear pads on mine late last year. TRW rear pads from my local motor factor were about £60 iirc. Also I knew they were low but no warnings showing on the dash so no new sensors needed.
MY14 3.0S Convertible. Polaris White with black hood, Black pack, Design pack, 20" Cyclones, Red performance heated seats, heated flat bottom steering wheel, Meridian sound system, plus lots more
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Saved yourself a wedge compared to Jag main dealer 👍
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
SESH

Post by SESH »

Thanks all, very much appreciated.
As an extra question, does anyone know which type of brake fluid is used on these cars. Is it standard DOT4 or the silicon type?
Thanks again.
Mike
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Highland Green
1966 Corvette Stingray Big Block
1973 E Type Convertible
1963 Triumph TR4
Ex F Type V6S MY2016
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Taken from Jaguar’s technical specifications (lubricants and fluids)........

All vehicles except SVR: Use Jaguar Land Rover brake fluid. If unavailable for topping up, a Low Viscosity, DOT4 brake fluid that meets the requirements of ISO 4925 class 6 may be used.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
SESH

Post by SESH »

Thank you!
Mike