Removing Supercharger

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Rizwan wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:33 pm Success!

Used a 4 x 3 wooden beam to rig up a hoist with an upright lifted by a jack. Gradually built up the tension with the jack and eventually the air cooler bottoms popped free.

Thanks again for your advice, it pointed me towards a solution to the problem for me.

Glad to be of help.

Great work Rizwan 👍
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid

Rizwan

Post by Rizwan »

Car and I are safe - no spectacular bang. It just popped apart.

The leak was from the black plastic Y piece where it connects to the right engine block. I guess the rubber O ring must have failed. So will be ordering one of those as well as the top piece that it joins to and of course the two manifold gaskets. Surprised that this issue isn't more common.

One thing though that is worrying is the amount of damage that leak appears to have caused by the fan spraying coolant around higher up. Look at the nuts in this photo. Lots of powdery deposits on the lower sides of the air coolers as well.

Cooler removed.jpg

fogle

Post by fogle »

A slide hammer works well to remove supercharger.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Rizwan wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:22 pm Car and I are safe - no spectacular bang. It just popped apart.

The leak was from the black plastic Y piece where it connects to the right engine block. I guess the rubber O ring must have failed. So will be ordering one of those as well as the top piece that it joins to and of course the two manifold gaskets. Surprised that this issue isn't more common.

One thing though that is worrying is the amount of damage that leak appears to have caused by the fan spraying coolant around higher up. Look at the nuts in this photo. Lots of powdery deposits on the lower sides of the air coolers as well.

Glad to hear that you and the car are safe!

With regards to the black plastic 'Y' piece and how common the issue is, Lunar mentioned earlier in this thread.........”My V6 has had a new coolant pump and also the "Y" coolant pipe under the supercharger replaced - it's a known weak design as it is a plastic pipe with a horizontal seam - I believe the replacements are an improvement.”

The corrosion on those bolts in your photo is extremely bad! Looks like you did this job just in time!

Not good to see lots of powdery deposits on the lower sides of the air coolers......a fine wire brush should remove this.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

fogle wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:32 am A slide hammer works well to remove supercharger.

I wonder if this would have done the job for the OP (Rizwan), instead of using the 4' x 3' wooden beam to rig up a hoist with an upright lifted by a jack? Also for others who have used the engine hoist and engine support bar methods?

If so, it could have saved them some time/work.

JLR Slide Hammer.png

Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Rizwan

Post by Rizwan »

I think there are a number of ways to crack this nut. The sliding hammer is a good option given it's not really possible to tap the unit from underneath.

In answer to previous question regarding condition of car: it's 5 years old and done 45,000 miles.

I've only had it a year and a half but I seem to be running a course of bad luck with it. Soon after buying it, I noticed a rumbling/grinding sound coming from the rear. Turned out to be the diff which needed to be replaced. Having a legal battle to reclaim cost of that from the dealer I bought it from. More recently the bonnet air bags went off as I drove over a speed hump - not particularly fast. Insurance has mostly covered that. But as soon as I got the car back, I noticed the coolant leak - literally on the first drive after getting the car back. You might see why I am tackling this one myself!

Now having trouble sourcing a replacement pipe for the leaking one, I guess due to CV19. So have ordered O rings and hoping that replacing those is going to be sufficient. Watch this space.
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Keep at it Rizwan.
Have some comfort that according to my warranty covered invoice you’re saving yourself a bill from the dealer of £634.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Rizwan wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:38 pm I think there are a number of ways to crack this nut. The sliding hammer is a good option given it's not really possible to tap the unit from underneath.

In answer to previous question regarding condition of car: it's 5 years old and done 45,000 miles.

I've only had it a year and a half but I seem to be running a course of bad luck with it. Soon after buying it, I noticed a rumbling/grinding sound coming from the rear. Turned out to be the diff which needed to be replaced. Having a legal battle to reclaim cost of that from the dealer I bought it from. More recently the bonnet air bags went off as I drove over a speed hump - not particularly fast. Insurance has mostly covered that. But as soon as I got the car back, I noticed the coolant leak - literally on the first drive after getting the car back. You might see why I am tackling this one myself!

Now having trouble sourcing a replacement pipe for the leaking one, I guess due to CV19. So have ordered O rings and hoping that replacing those is going to be sufficient. Watch this space.

Yes, it looks like there are various methods to do the job, with the sliding hammer being a good option.

One things for sure.......you’re making great progress and you’ve saved a lot of money by doing the work yourself.

Considering the car is 5 years old and done 45,000 miles you wouldn't expect the issues you’ve had with it......especially on an expensive car like the F-Type? I hope you’re successful in reclaiming the cost of the diff!

Being as you’ve removed the supercharger etc it could be wise to replace the ‘Y’ pipe as well as the ‘O’ rings etc? I say this because the original Jaguar part number for the 'Y' pipe is C2Z29893 which has been superseded by AJ813865, so it could be an improved design?

Done some research and if this is the ‘Y’ coolant pipe under the supercharger (see attached images) there appears to be two or three ‘O’ rings with it and one screw. If you Google the part number AJ813865 for the pipe, there are numerous suppliers.

On the Britcar website the ‘Y’ pipe costs approx £35 and it’s described as......”AJ813865 - THERMOSTAT AND WATER OUTLET LOWER TUBE - 3.0L SUPERCHARGED - JAGUAR - F-TYPE - XE - XF - F-PACE”

Here's a few links which show the ‘Y’ pipe and it’s components in detail.

https://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/ ... f___f_pace

https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.co ... nd/jaguar/

https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.co ... nd/jaguar/

1.png

2.png

Last edited by RPSN on Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Rizwan

Post by Rizwan »

I should've followed the advice about the Y pipe leaking from the join as this was indeed my issue.

Jaguar dealer was not helpful in supplying the parts and I got them from britcar in the end. All done now, leak fixed and car is working again. Forgot how nice it was to drive as it's been off the road for over 3 months!

Thanks to everyone for their for their help.

Beautiful car and great to drive but I think I've had my share of bad luck and will be putting it up for sale now.

F-Type.jpg

scm

Post by scm »

Rizwan wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:12 pm Beautiful car and great to drive but I think I've had my share of bad luck and will be putting it up for sale now.
But now you/ve been through the pain and got it sorted you should keep it and enjoy it!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post