Removing Supercharger

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Rizwan

Post by Rizwan »

Hi,

Looking for some technical help to remove the Supercharger please.

It's because my F-Type 3.0 S has developed a coolant leak and I just can't see the source even though I can hear it dribbling out when I pressurise the system.

Coolant is pooling on top of the engine block so assuming it's above this. I've replaced the water pump, so that's eliminated.

Next plan was to ro remove the supercharger so I can get a clear view, reconnect the charge air cooler and do another pressure test. I've been following the workshop manual and got as far as removing the charge air cooler but I'm having trouble removing the supercharger which has the lower halves of the the charge air cooler screw onto it. It seems to be stuck at the gaskets and being made of aluminium, I'm reluctant to use a crow bar or hammer it too hard.

Does anyone have any tips on how to pry it apart please?

Supercharger.jpg

Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Hi Rizwan and welcome!

Looks like you're getting stuck in there.

My V6 has had a new coolant pump and also the "Y" coolant pipe under the supercharger replaced - it's a known weak design as it is a plastic pipe with a horizontal seam - I believe the replacements are an improvement.

I can understand you not wanting to whack the aluminium casting with a jewellers sledgehammer but it is likely it will need some force to break the seal.

Do the lower halves of the charge air cooler sit on top of the cylinder heads? If there is some gap you could place a block of wood over the complete perimeter of the casting and try giving it a tap to the outer centre area, to try to break the seal.

I assume the nose and bearing of the supercharger is designed for a decent load so that could also be a possibility.

I'm surprised the manual doesn't give a lead on this as it's bound to be an important step.

Sorry I can't help more but hopefully someone with the knowledge or maybe access to a suitable technical bulletin will come along.

Hope you get it sorted painlessly and do let us know your progress.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

On the Jaguar XJ (X351) there have been issues with corrosion on a dowel that the supercharger mount goes onto and gets stuck on. This was preventing the supercharger from being removed and it was rectified by using an engine support bar with 2 lifting points.

Like you, the owner had a coolant leak on the car and he discovered that it was coming from a plastic pipe that looks like an upside down Y. In order to replace it he could see that the supercharger, intake manifold and intercoolers had to be removed. He got as far as removing the top portion of the intake manifold but couldn't remove the supercharger or remaining manifold until using the engine support bar.

See this link.........https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-x ... al-188511/

Also on the link, scroll down to near the end of the thread and you will see how the owner of a 2016 F-Type R successfully managed to remove the supercharger which was stuck on. I’ve attached some of his photos.

The bottom photo shows the dowel that was causing the problem on the XJ (X351).

Hope this helps.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Last edited by RPSN on Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:47 am, edited 4 times in total.
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
Rizwan

Post by Rizwan »

Thanks Lunar and RPSN for your replies.

I spent a few days sprawled across the engine working on that water pump because I didn't want to remove the bonnet! The dribbling sound was coming from the top front of the engine so that plastic Y pipe is now high up on my list of suspects.

I need to remove the supercharger to get access to the Y piece anyway.

I don't have an engine hoist. But those photos have given me an idea on how I will try to tackle it.

I'll take photos and let you know if I succeed.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Hopefully you'll be able to improvise and successfully remove the supercharger without using an engine hoist.

If not, to give you another idea, the link to the engine support bar (with 2 lifting points) that was used by the owner of the XJ (X351) is in the link I provided earlier. It was bought from Amazon for approx $60.

Here's a photo of it......

1.jpg

2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
Rizwan

Post by Rizwan »

Success!

Used a 4 x 3 wooden beam to rig up a hoist with an upright lifted by a jack. Gradually built up the tension with the jack and eventually the air cooler bottoms popped free. Photos below...

Removing Supercharger 1.jpg

Removing Supercharger 1.jpg

Thanks again for your advice, it pointed me towards a solution to the problem for me.

Removing Supercharger 2.jpg

Tel

Post by Tel »

Been watching this thread out of interest, hoping not to have to do this removal to mine!

Great to see some lateral thinking and to come up with a solution with limited material is very creative.

On a safety note - I would recommend that the upright from the jack to the lifting beam is secured in some way.

Sods' law states: When it the SC lets go it will either hit you or worse still, YOUR PRIDE AND JOY! ;-)

Don't try this at home folks!
Last edited by Tel on Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
scm

Post by scm »

Tel wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:40 pmWhen the SC lets go it will hit either you pride and joy or worse still YOU!
How can you being hit ever be worse than hitting the Jag? :D
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Tel

Post by Tel »

scm wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:40 pm
Tel wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:40 pmWhen the SC lets go it will hit either you pride and joy or worse still YOU!
How can you being hit ever be worse than hitting the Jag? :D

Post edited to correct my idiocy ;-)
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
stucart

Post by stucart »

Well done with that ingenious solution, did you find the source of the leak once removed?
Prey mine doesn't ever need that kind of surgery!!
2014 V6s Roadster
Polaris White /Red Interior/Black Roof
20" Carbon Blades
Black Pack, + Every Option :D
Full REMUS Cat back system :lol:

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post