Drive Coupling

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

So when my car had its last service, at the end of February, I pushed for any warranty or Technical Bulletin issues I could claim for too. It was a major service and spark plug replacement - all being done for £0 cost as a gesture of goodwill, so saved me a good few hundred pounds at main dealer rates.

They replaced the coolant reservoir - I'd included photos of a digital caliper showing the neck thread to be out of round - then they put the old cap back on! - so sent me a replacement in the post.

Sorted the screen washer one way valve, by the driver's door jamb, that was leaking back and making the washer jets very weak.

Replaced a nose cone sensor for the PPS that was throwing an "unavailable" warning.

Offered to replace the centre vent, which had stuck up 5mm a couple of times in very hot weather - which I declined, as they would have to do a full software update first under the warranty claim and could not guarantee that it would not result in a loss of exhaust bark. It looks easy enough to remove and clean up myself, adding a bit of dry lube to the gear mesh. This is the one where, to re-calibrate, the official process is to sit a large spanner on top of the vent - a real spanner that is, not one of the appalling Jag technicians I've had the misfortune to work on my car in the past.

I'd also mentioned a clunk on take up and wondered if the transmission shift software needed re-calibrating. They came back to say it was a mechanical issue and the coupling on the end of the gearbox needed attention. This required a tool which wasn't available in the UK and had to be ordered from China - something of a staggering statement in itself and they always skirted around my query as to which special service tool it was. Also interesting that, however many times I called it the transmission they always called it the gearbox.

Said tool has now arrived and is for the coupling between the propshaft and transmission output shaft. Once taken apart and re-assembled it has to be left overnight to cure, so being a 2 day job I now have to wait another month for a courtesy car to become available - no doubt also affected by extended turn-around times now, which is fair enough.

It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has come across this issue, or who has Topix or access to the workshop manual that shows the coupling and tool required. This is an issue I've not heard of before and would be good to find out a bit more about.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust

JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

Left overnight to cure, I though Araldite cured almost immediately. Thought it was only TVRs that were held together by Araldite🤔
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

I also had the ‘Clunk’ on take up. This was cured by using the Jaguar Land Rover-approved diagnostic tool with latest DVD and Calibration File to reprogram the existing transmission control module (otherwise known as a transmission control module reflash). See this link....... viewtopic.php?t=4007

With regards to the ‘special service tool’ that you mention which is for the coupling between the propshaft and transmission output shaft, it could be one of these.....https://jlrequipment.service-solutions. ... h=coupling
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post