Car laid up

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
etedlm

Post by etedlm »

Hi there
Can anyone tell me if there’s a way to build the oil pressure up in the engine before starting it after the car has been laid up for a couple of months or so, the car is a F-TYPE R,on my Aston you just keep the foot on the throttle pedal and the car won’t start
Thanks
David

Fez

Post by Fez »

I am not sure you have to worry to much after 8 weeks. Cars sit on forecourts for months and in fields for over a year before being sold. If you worried just run for 15mins once a month...
Black AWD 400, sport
MY 18.5
Pan Roof
Heated front screen
Front parking sensors
Full spare
scm

Post by scm »

etedlm wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:36 amon my Aston you just keep the foot on the throttle pedal and the car won’t start
That used to be the Jaguar technique for overcoming engine flooding in the early days of XK8s, they were prone to flooding when owners drove them out of their garages to wash them, then couldn't restart them to put them away (and the unburnt fuel ruined the Nikasil liners). Not sure if it still works with the latest engines, and also not sure it's even necessary as the oil is pretty thin and will flow quickly.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
chicb

Post by chicb »

Just start it as normal. Mine is laid up for 6 months every year. Ctek on all the time. Starts first press of the button. There is always a film of oil on all surfaces so don't worry about it. Do not as suggested run it for 15 mins once a month as you will only introduce condensation into the exhaust & under bonnet. There will not be any more oil on the surfaces if its left for a month or 6 months. Starting the car from cold is where the most wear comes from so the less the better.
F type convertible, (gone)
Range Rover Sport,
S63 AMG Coupe Mercedes
Porsche 911 (992) Carrera 4S
DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

I would just focus on a fully charged battery 👍
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs
VAP 200 Cell Cats & Downpipes
VAP Pulley & Stage II 453 BHP Remap