Very hard sports suspension on 2017.400 Coupe model to sort?

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
richie2525

Post by richie2525 »

Can anyone recommend a company who can make the ride better in my 400 Coupe.

As with most of the roads within Bristol and South Glos area have very bad potholes, rough road surfaces and speed bumps which are built to high, I need to
find a way to soften the ride in my 400 coupe before my head goes through the roof.( Ha) with perhaps different shocks or springs ? It's like the car is
in sport mode all he time.

I know the settings can be altered within car which I have asked my Jaguar garage to look at but no response , but it just feels so hard.

Richard

Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Hi Richard,

I'm not sure why you would need the garage to adjust the settings, you should find it easy enough to do from the central touch screen.

...that is unless the suspension is stuck in firm mode for some reason, but you should be able to feel the difference.

Bear in mind you will need a little speed as it is the shock stiffness and rebound that changes and not the spring compliance.

If you need more compliance in the suspension then my thought would be to look to change wheel size down to 19" if you currently have 20" rims as I suspect.

The reduced wheel diameter is generally compensated for by a slightly taller sidewall, so you will not lose ride height but will gain a little more tyre movement.

I doubt very much you will find anyone who can change the suspension to make it either higher or softer, based on aftermarket products available.

I have driven down a few unmade roads that have had me worried, but by planning your course and crawling where necessary it is surprisingly ok.

As for speed bumps, if they are not full width and traffic permits, try to put one side of the car over them.

If you straddle the bump there is more chance of catching the front spoiler skirt - this is sacrificial anyway - and also scrubbing the inside of your tyres.

The best thing to do is sort out a route that takes you out of Bristol and onto some nice roads where you can enjoy the car for what it is purposed.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
dbv6s

Post by dbv6s »

Hi Richard, would agree with Lunar, try out 19" wheels and a higher profiled tyre (but quite a few who have gone from 19's to 20's have said they cant feel much of a difference in ride quality)

Rather than looking to soften shocks/springs, unpopular opinion but are you sure the ftype is the right car for you? You wouldn't 'normally' soften a 2 seater sports car, maybe a sporty saloon or more comfortable coupe would suit you better
Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

Other than modest improvement with 19" wheels, Velocity AP lowering springs are reported to give a more compliant ride due to their design. You would need to know for sure though, as normally lowering = stiffer. Less unsprung weight would also help so consider some lightweight forged wheels and maybe the lightweight brake discs I've seen around. Lots of money.
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

My F-Type in 19" wheels and without dynamic suspension activated is far more compliant than our BMW on any road surface, so maybe you have an issue with yours.
Do you have the suspension set to dynamic?
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post