Steering Wheel Switch Pack Swap

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Maybe someone who has changed a steering wheel over has useful knowledge of this.

Assuming the steering wheel isn't changed, is it possible to swap out the switch packs with the existing loom and plugs?

...that is older flatter type for newer rampy button type.

If so can this be done from the front with the steering wheel in situ, by removing the centre trim piece around the airbag?

And is safely removing the airbag an easy task?

Thanks in advance for any advice on this.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust

cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

On the swapping switch packs I do not know. When I changed from standard to SVR wheel the buttons were not compatible and didn't function, even though they connected. I ended up with a little reverse engineering project to use my buttons in the SVR wheel and all worked perfectly

In terms of doing it without removing the airbag, Id never contemplate that. Airbag removal is a 2 minute job once the battery is disconnected and circuits left for 15 mins to allow any residual current discharge. I've removed mine a few times as I'd never risk messing with those looms with a live airbag in front of my face.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Thanks for the info. - and just to clarify there was never an intention of messing about with a live airbag, just doing the work with wheel in place.

From the shape of the trim edges I think they return under the airbag module anyway.

If your switch packs connected but didn’t work I’ll likely not bother anyway.
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
dbv6s

Post by dbv6s »

Hi Lunar,
I have done a few steering wheel changes, you will need to remove the airbag - this cannot be done in place
very easy to remove, I can send you a few guides if needed

buttons wise, best thing to do it buy the switch packs you want to change to, dismantle your current wheel, open up current switch packs and simply swap over the circuit boards and wiring loom from current car and use the newer raised style buttons only (bin the raised style circuit boards & loom, they will not work unless you have the exact same options, MY & infotainment system as the car with the new buttons had)

I did what i think you are looking to do - change from fully flat buttons, to a set of 20MY 'raised' buttons, end to end takes about 30 mins (including 15 min downtime waiting to disconnect the airbag)
trim tools are needed, a small (T8 i think) torx and a small flat head screwdriver to unclip airbag (ignore the guides who say you need the special key style tool)
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Ah, now there's a good idea!

Looking at the back of the switch packs they appear to just have plastic lugs holding them together too.

...and yes, I have all the tools to hand, so maybe it's back on then - much appreciated :)
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Went for the ones with the heated steering wheel symbol from a Mr. David Bland ;)
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Just wanted to give a shout out to dbv6s David for great info and support to help me swap over the switch packs - great to have people like you on the forum many thanks 👍🏻

250AB4A5-5147-459E-B10B-17F463BE3BDB.jpeg

BD01560E-CDEA-4E22-B893-BD85A53B130B.jpeg

E4B73AC0-3B3A-44C4-AD57-82AB4DCB48EC.jpeg

1E39C38C-8317-4D93-AEF2-2EA9E79C9145.jpeg

dbv6s

Post by dbv6s »

No problem Lunar, big improvement, congrats!
14V8S

Post by 14V8S »

dbv6s wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:07 pm Hi Lunar,
I have done a few steering wheel changes, you will need to remove the airbag - this cannot be done in place
very easy to remove, I can send you a few guides if needed

buttons wise, best thing to do it buy the switch packs you want to change to, dismantle your current wheel, open up current switch packs and simply swap over the circuit boards and wiring loom from current car and use the newer raised style buttons only (bin the raised style circuit boards & loom, they will not work unless you have the exact same options, MY & infotainment system as the car with the new buttons had)

I did what i think you are looking to do - change from fully flat buttons, to a set of 20MY 'raised' buttons, end to end takes about 30 mins (including 15 min downtime waiting to disconnect the airbag)
trim tools are needed, a small (T8 i think) torx and a small flat head screwdriver to unclip airbag (ignore the guides who say you need the special key style tool)
Hello, I have the volume button not working on mine and I can't see the holes in the back of the steering wheel only the shift paddles. Can you please send me the guide to remove the airbag and trim piece so that I can replace the steering wheel volume button? This is a 2014 ftype v8s. Thank you
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

If you search for the topic “Steering wheel change” the links are on there with regard to Jag procedures for airbag and steering wheel removal.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post