Key Fob not responding

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
ThomasH

Post by ThomasH »

Hi all,

I have recently purchased a 2013 F type V6S and I absolutely love it!!

I have one problem though which I'm struggling to find a solution for. I was given 2 keys when buying the car. Both worked fine. I got home tried the second key fob and it simply doesnt respond at all.

I have changed the battery and the battery is correctly fitted.

I was wondering is there a way to reconnect the fob to the car? Either that or I'll have to call Jaguar and its probably not going to be cheap.

Thanks in advanced!
2013 V6S Carbon Pack ;)

Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Hello and welcome!

It’s a long shot, but when you put the new battery in it wasn’t a Duracell with the thin plastic film over the battery was it?
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
scm

Post by scm »

Have you tried swapping the batteries between the fobs, as you know the working fob has a good battery?
The fob shouldn't need to be reconnected, unless it's faulty (or was the wrong one for the car).
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
ThomasH

Post by ThomasH »

Morning guys, thanks for the responses I will have a look at the battery and swap over later today see if anything happens. Thanks
2013 V6S Carbon Pack ;)
Tel

Post by Tel »

'Technicians tap' perhaps?
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
AJB2

Post by AJB2 »

When you’re in the car hold the key fob so it’s touching the underneath of the dash board to the right (UK) of the steering wheel. Press the lock/unlock button on the fob, the locks should then do their thing. This will “remind” the car that this fob is programmed to it.

Hope this helps
ThomasH

Post by ThomasH »

Good evening all,

I have tried both batteries and the battery from the keyfob that isn't working....works perfect in the other key fob. I have also tried holding the key next to the dash as per the manual and still nothing. I will give the garage a call tomorrow. The car came with 3 months warranty so they hopefully sort it for me.
2013 V6S Carbon Pack ;)
ThomasH

Post by ThomasH »

Afternoon All,

just a quick update. I've called the garage I bought the car from twice now. Both times they've told me I'll receive a call back from management and I've waited and still had nothing. I've emailed them stating the cars description was not to be sold with 1 key for not working therefore I have a right to give the car back.....I absolutely love the car and don't want to give it back.

But why should I fork out for a new key when I've paid 30k for a car. Its bonkers.

Anyways I'm going to keep arguing the case but does anyone now roughly what Jaguar would charge to fix this?
2013 V6S Carbon Pack ;)
RichardA

Post by RichardA »

Well done Lunar..........About an hour ago was about to leave home in my car but got very stressed when my FOB failed to open the car. I have a 2018 R-Dynamic. Phoned the local dealer and a lady in the service department wasn't able to provide any advise other than they would need to recover the vehicle. Having opened the car using the special key and then set off the alarm and all lights flashing, I was highly stressed. Came back indoors and as one does in these situation, did a bit of Googling. Low and behold I came across this Forum, which I have just joined in order to make this post, and discovered this incredibly simple answer as posted by Lunar. And yes I had inserted a new Duracell battery and yes I had failed to notice the small thin plastic disc on the underside. Upon removal all my stresses disappeared, thus underlying the importance and value of such Forums. Probably just saved me a small fortune.
Darren P

Post by Darren P »

Seem to be a common mistake. I didn’t notice the film on the new battery either. I just put it down to a senior moment.😀
2017 F Type 340 Caldera Red
2020 I Pace