V6 Catalytic Converter Swap MY20 for MY16

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

Yes, he said he hadn’t re-mapped it and no problems so far. What I don’t know is how long he’s been running it this way and mapping problems sometimes take a while to show themselves.

I will keep going along with this idea unless I find a show stopper, it’s the only aspect of the car that I’ve found disappointing.

RPSN

Post by RPSN »

That sounds promising.

Perhaps you’ll meet him again where you can ask how long he’s been running it this way?

I can imagine the feeling of disappointment you have with the ‘muted exhaust’. Part of the fun of owning an F-Type is to hear the big cat’s ‘roar’!

Hopefully you’ll get it sorted!
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
Deleted User 1715

:oops: koi
RPSN wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:17 pm That sounds promising.

Perhaps you’ll meet him again where you can ask how long he’s been running it this way?

I can imagine the feeling of disappointment you have with the ‘muted exhaust’. Part of the fun of owning an F-Type is to hear the big cat’s ‘roar’!

Hopefully you’ll get it sorted!
I’ll get it sorted eventually! It’s not a huge disappointment, just that I test drove every model and the P380 I drove sounded glorious! It’s the first time I’ve spent so much money on a car and it was perfect in every way except the sound - one of the F Types most endearing attributes.

I still love the car, maybe I just need more tunnels around me!
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

I'm sure you will!

I remember when I first test drove a V6S from my main dealership and loved the car and sound of it. When I opened it up through a nearby tunnel (windows purposely down) I was amazed with the note that was resonating through my eardrums! Here's a video example (not me) which is best appreciated on max volume......

Thinking back on previous topics on the exhaust noise and how to increase it, I recall one about pulling fuse number 43 (this has apparently moved to fuse number 15 on some later models) which keeps the exhaust valves open, or just by switching the car into 'dynamic' mode? Here's the link...... viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4120

The link relates to earlier models so it's probably a useless question (as you've said that the muted exhaust in later cars is due to the inclusion of a particulate filter within the catalytic converters) but Is the exhaust sound on your car still the same after doing this?
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Deleted User 1715

The exhaust valves work fine and do improve the sound when in dynamic which I use all the time, except when leaving home early in the morning!

I haven’t tried pulling fuses but I thought that just left the valves always open, using dynamic just does the same? (Not sure about this)
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

I can understand why you don’t use dynamic mode when leaving home early in the morning......respect thy neighbour!

Yes, as I understand it, pulling the fuse keeps the valves always open and using dynamic mode does the same. This is explained in more detail in the link I provided.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

@GusA

Not sure if you’ve already seen this on the ‘exhaust pop and burble’ topic but member ‘brianhpenfold’ says this.......

“So just for clarity, pop and burble are a function of fuelling and relate to the ECU (type and map), including recent introduction (2019) of noise level legislation; exhaust sound/noise level is a function of exhaust design, valves (and more latterly the introduction of a gasoline particulate filter (GPF).”

“There is no simple fix to make a quieter (late MY19/MY20) car sound like an earlier car. You have to address pops and bangs & the suppressed noise as two separate issues. I’ve been researching this for months. Yes, you can achieve it, but you can probably say goodbye to your warranty in doing so!”

Could be worth you mentioning to him your idea of switching the newer catalytic converters for MY16 jaguar ones to improve the exhaust sound, but it appears that you could invalidate the manufacturer’s warranty on your MY20 car?

Perhaps it’s better to wait until the car is out of warranty before considering replacing the cats with older ones?

Probably not the news you wanted to hear but at the end of the day you’ve got a fabulous car there, even if the exhaust is slightly muted compared to older versions which don’t have the gasoline particulate filter.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Deleted User 1715

Thanks RPSN, I did read it and I think you’re right, I should probably wait until the warranty expires and then sort it. It would be foolish to invalidate it.

It’s easily the best car I’ve owned and I love driving it.

I will keep going with the investigation to find out as much as I can about the system though.

Thanks for your advice. Much appreciated.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Cheers GusA.

All the best 👍
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid