V6 Catalytic Converter Swap MY20 for MY16

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

I’m after some advice please. I met a MY19 V8R owner recently and he (like many MY19/20 owners) was disappointed with the muted exhaust in later cars due to the inclusion of a particulate filter within the catalytic converters. He has switched his newer catalytic converters for MY16 jaguar ones and the noise has returned to what used to be ‘normal’. He said that the particulate filters are ‘unmonitored’ so no dash warnings or CEL and he hasn’t had it re-mapped either.

The exhaust on my 2WD V6 is different though, does anyone know if this swap could work on mine and what the problems may be?

He suggested I look at an exhaust parts diagram for a MY16 V6S 2WD and compare it with a MY20 one with the thought process being that if the other parts of the exhaust use the same part numbers as before then the catalysts should switch over with the same connections.

Photo below of my current cat, only one sensor which I’m guessing is an O2 sensor?

My handbook shows a possible exhaust filter caption to warn of a blocked particulate filter but no idea how it decides it is blocked without additional sensors?

I would like to use jaguar parts if possible and not go with the 200 cell sports cats as I’ve been told they are very loud, I just want it to sound like it should!

6C0F377E-7A63-4D30-8242-8CBEC1A60E03.jpeg

Grateful for any advice/help

RPSN

Post by RPSN »

GusA wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:10 pm He suggested I look at an exhaust parts diagram for a MY16 V6S 2WD and compare it with a MY20 one with the thought process being that if the other parts of the exhaust use the same part numbers as before then the catalysts should switch over with the same connections.

Here's a link to the F-Type 2014 > exhaust parts diagrams (including part numbers):

https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.co ... nd/jaguar/
Last edited by RPSN on Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
Deleted User 1715

RPSN wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:38 pm
GusA wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:10 pm He suggested I look at an exhaust parts diagram for a MY16 V6S 2WD and compare it with a MY20 one with the thought process being that if the other parts of the exhaust use the same part numbers as before then the catalysts should switch over with the same connections.

Thank you RPSN, useful info

Here's a link to the F-Type 2014 > exhaust parts diagrams:

RPSN

Post by RPSN »

@GusA 👍

As well as the exhaust parts diagrams, this link shows diagrams for the heat shields and sensors (including part numbers):

Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Deleted User 1715

RPSN wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:27 am @GusA 👍

As well as the exhaust parts diagrams, this link shows diagrams for the heat shields and sensors (including part numbers):

Thanks again RPSN, the intermediate pipe for the V6 active exhaust has the same part number throughout using the EU6 and EU5 diagrams you attached, and the sensors look identical to what I have on my MY20 so it seems that that it may be a straight swap. I will need to check that the intermediate pipe is the same on my car. It also looks like the filter blocked warning lights are generated using the pressure sensors that have always been in the system.

If anyone has access to the exhaust parts diagram for MY20 could they check that the intermediate pipe part number is T2R2620?
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

@GusA

As the F-Type diagrams are for the year 2014 onwards I would have thought they included the MY20? It gives the ‘to and from’ VIN numbers which are applicable to the vehicle.

This is mine......

EXHAUST PIPE REAR 3.0 LITRE-SUPERCHARGED-ACTIVE (3.0 LITRE SUPERCHARGED, ACTIVE SPORTS EXHAUST) ((V)TO K47319)

Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Deleted User 1715

I think you’re right RPSN and they certainly look the same but it would be an expensive mistake if there is a difference!

When I get a chance I will drop in at my dealer and get the part number for my intermediate pipe and if the same then I will start looking for pre 2018 2WD Cats. Maybe someone who has upgraded to 200 cell cats might sell their old ones on eBay etc
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

@GusA

Yes, best to check to make 100% sure.

Good luck!
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Deleted User 1715

With a bit more digging I can see that all the O2 and pressure sensors are the same from 2014 up to VIN K69156 which I guess is the first of the new facelift model?

The back box has been updated several times but the latest spec is for all V6 from 2014 onwards.

It seems that the only difference is the cat itself in the front section which now contains a filter as well as a cat.

The concern will now be whether they changed the fuel mapping because of the filter.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

GusA wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:43 am It seems that the only difference is the cat itself in the front section which now contains a filter as well as a cat.

The concern will now be whether they changed the fuel mapping because of the filter.

Just a thought.......in your original post you mentioned:

“I met a MY19 V8R owner recently and he (like many MY19/20 owners) was disappointed with the muted exhaust in later cars due to the inclusion of a particulate filter within the catalytic converters. He has switched his newer catalytic converters for MY16 jaguar ones and the noise has returned to what used to be ‘normal’. He said that the particulate filters are ‘unmonitored’ so no dash warnings or CEL and he hasn’t had it re-mapped either.”

I assume then, that he didn't have any issues with the fuel mapping etc?
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post