Service 60 month

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Si Cads

Post by Si Cads »

Hi All
firstly I apologise for another service thread.
I checked the Jaguar online service history and all appears up to date on my car.
I checked the service information on Jaguar website and 60 month or 80000 miles service requires plugs on the service information sheet.
However when i get an online quote from Jaguar it just says plug-drain, Filter-oil, low ash oil and fluid screen. £472
Confused as i think it should contain spark plugs pushing cost up to £673.

Car has just covered 27K

Any advice please ?

Simon
F Type V6 S Convertible
MY2016 Blackberry
Range Rover Sport
Honda CBR900 SC33

JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

I had to ask to have the plugs changed, crazy I know but the fixed price servicing is the basic requirements and things like plugs and brake fluid are extras.

Matford Exeter charged me £86 extra for the plug change.
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
scm

Post by scm »

I think the plugs should be good for 80,000 miles, they don't wear out over time. I get my independent to check the state of mine and change them when they need changing. Same with brake fluid - if it's up to the job, it's not worth the hassle of replacing it.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
ninetails

Post by ninetails »

Si Cads wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:35 pm Hi All
firstly I apologise for another service thread.
I checked the Jaguar online service history and all appears up to date on my car.
I checked the service information on Jaguar website and 60 month or 80000 miles service requires plugs on the service information sheet.
However when i get an online quote from Jaguar it just says plug-drain, Filter-oil, low ash oil and fluid screen. £472
Confused as i think it should contain spark plugs pushing cost up to £673.

Car has just covered 27K

Any advice please ?

Simon
The confusion is caused because after a car is 3 years old Jaguar dealers offer cheaper services based on mileage, rather than mileage/months (whichever comes first). I think this is a good idea because low mileage cars do not need certain service items (spark plugs and air filters changing for eg.), so it saves money and waste. The only problem that concerns me is that it would probably invalidate the extended warranty if a claim was made, as the terms state the car has to be serviced to the manufacturer's service schedule. As I have extended warranty (at the moment) I ensure my car is serviced to the manufacturer's schedule, even though I think certain items do not need changing, just in case I need to make a claim.
My advice would be if you have extended warranty go for the more expensive manufacturer's service, if not go for the cheaper one.
340 coupe auto 2016MY, ammonite/corris grey, red performance heated seats, pano roof, 20" turbine wheels, switchable active exhaust, front & rear parking sensors, rear camera.
Si Cads

Post by Si Cads »

Thank you all for the advice.
I didn't realise the online service was just basic and you have to manually add spark plugs brake fluid etc So that's good to know.
@scm yes i agree with you, spark plugs shouldn't need doing as mileage is low.
@ninedetails I have an extended warranty so don't want to risk being uncovered, I will get the spark plugs done as per the Jaguar online schedule.

Thanks Again

Simon
F Type V6 S Convertible
MY2016 Blackberry
Range Rover Sport
Honda CBR900 SC33
scharlton

Post by scharlton »

Hi Si,
I also got caught out here with JLR not bothering to change my diff oil. When I complained to the dealer they had missed doing certain requirements, they said I'd opted for the basic service which was news to me as they never quoted 2 prices or even mentioned it.
In the end my independent advised forget changing plugs (36k miles) and change fluids, but I understand your point about keeping the warranty intact.
Once out of warranty, I recommend to go independent.
2014 Coupe 5.0R RWD
White
Herts
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

I have always had the post 3 year service done both major and minor and just added items I felt needed doing such as plugs.
Never had a waranty claim turned down.
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
scm

Post by scm »

scharlton wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:53 am Once out of warranty, I recommend to go independent.
You don't have to use dealers to maintain warranty. any VAT-registered garage will do. I had my 2nd and 3rd services done by my trusted independent and had subsequent warranty work done without any fuss (Covid-19 notwithstanding, of course). In fact, my independent turned down the opportunity to make some money from me by telling me to have work done under warranty! That's service. :)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post