Jaguar Dealers and my rights

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
scharlton

Post by scharlton »

I'd be worried by "fixed price servicing". Yes, you get a good price but that's because they do a basic service every time and don't do the extra jobs that need doing. You have a completed service history but the car suffers for it.
2014 Coupe 5.0R RWD
White
Herts

basher

Post by basher »

I have a 3yr fixed service agreement. Mine's going in tomorrow for 3rd service + MOT.

I booked online, and double checked with 3rd service checklist on Jaguar website... a few things were missing in my online booking, which I queried with dealer.

Initially, they were going to charge extra to do them. I questioned this. They relented.
Rhodium silver F-Type 400 Sport AWD coupe.

PB Brakes big brake kit: drilled & slotted rotors, big yellow calipers. 😁
DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

basher wrote: ↑Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:53 am I have a 3yr fixed service agreement. Mine's going in tomorrow for 3rd service + MOT.

I booked online, and double checked with 3rd service checklist on Jaguar website... a few things were missing in my online booking, which I queried with dealer.

Initially, they were going to charge extra to do them. I questioned this. They relented.

Hello Kev,

I’m extremely sceptical of main dealers ‘Fixed Price Servicing’. From my own, and others, experience this consists of oil/filter change.

Do you know what other tasks are scheduled which are now being included?
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs
VAP 200 Cell Cats & Downpipes
VAP Pulley & Stage II 453 BHP Remap
Vorsteiner 21” V-FF 103 Alloys
PB Brakes 8/6 Pot Drilled Big Brake Kit
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Would be the same as mine. My 400 sport said Transmission Fluid Change and Brake Fluid Change at 3rd service and had to have the same discussion to ensure it was done on service plan.

The years 4, 5 and 6 service plan only includes the basics so doesn't cover things like 4th year rear diff oil change so going to be shopping around next year although I want it done at dealer because I have extended warranty so have the ÂŁ750 of MOT cover.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
basher

Post by basher »

DaddyDarren wrote: ↑Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:14 pm
basher wrote: ↑Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:53 am I have a 3yr fixed service agreement. Mine's going in tomorrow for 3rd service + MOT.

Hello Kev,

I’m extremely sceptical of main dealers ‘Fixed Price Servicing’. From my own, and others, experience this consists of oil/filter change.

Do you know what other tasks are scheduled which are now being included?
Hi Darren... what SimpleR said. 😁

I also have extended warranty, so will be considering my options for next year, to ensure diff oil gets changed!
Rhodium silver F-Type 400 Sport AWD coupe.

PB Brakes big brake kit: drilled & slotted rotors, big yellow calipers. 😁
DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

Find it odd that you have to ask. Something not quite right imho.

So it’s oil/filter only unless customer asks for all scheduled items to be done?

Bonkers.
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs
scm

Post by scm »

Makes you wonder what the dealer service history is really worth ....
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Indeed.

The car either needs certain things checking / replacing at the specified age / mileage or it doesn't (geographical environment recognised).

It would be very interesting to see the workshop time allowance for a "standard" service and a "fixed price" one.

My understanding was that the labour rate was lower on the fixed price one, but that they use the same checklist.

Although there are variations I've only ever seen one type of service checklist - there's not a "don't bother with these" column for the fixed price service.

This whole minefield of diff and transmission oil only being changed when asked for and at extra charge is very indicative of the game being played here.

"Jaguar 3+ Servicing without any hidden dangers" :roll:

"Interim = ÂŁ325 ... Major = ÂŁ385" Not much of a major service then eh.

It looks like the fixed price service table has gone from most dealers' websites now - just checked Inchcape / Stratstone / Sytner / Lancaster / Guy Salmon.

Instead you almost always have to submit details to see the cost.

Happy to go to the good independent no further away from me from now on.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

as long as the independent is VAT registered and us jag parts warranties as valid.
DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

gasgas wrote: ↑Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:27 pm as long as the independent is VAT registered and us jag parts warranties as valid.

Ironic that my first contact, with an independent garage, was a phone call that uncovered, to me, this can of worms. Gave my registration number to view my service history. Immediately spotted omissions that should have been carried out. Not talking about off pollen filter either.

My five year, main dealer, service should've, according to Jaguar, included spark plug change. Upon collecting car it hadn’t been done & they quoted £400+ for it. Why didn’t they do it as part of scheduled service? I’d have been happy to pay the extra.

Anyway my last contact with them was to book in for six year service, plus I wanted transmission serviced too. They didn’t want to know. Asked for price, never heard from them so thought time to leave. Hence now with brilliant independent who do things to the book & extra jobs on request.

As said previous. Cars on finance or under warranty, main dealer. Paid for pride & joy out of warranty. Wouldn’t touch main dealer with barge pole.
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post