Bonnet Vents & Water Ingress

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Buildermike wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 5:02 pm My Concern is how long will it last. It Is what it is.
Just another nail in. I am truly shocked at the build quality.

Have a read through this.....viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5188
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid

Buildermike

Post by Buildermike »

RPSN.

Thank you very much.

My conclusion is to just live with it and hope the electrical components do not fail.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

👍

As you can see from that link, the corrosion issue on those alloy parts (cylinder head, block and bell housing) is not unusual.

I’ve assumed that you’re not losing engine coolant as you haven’t said so.

Hopefully you won’t have any further water ingress related issues.

Buildermike wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 3:19 pm Purchased from JLR Just had 3 Fuel injectors replaced NOT under warranty. Water ingress. apparently with every bolt they touched they snapped.
Speaking of corroded and snapped bolts on the F-Type, have a look at the state of what this member found..... viewtopic.php?p=44684#p44684

1.jpg

Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
jonm

Post by jonm »

Here whats I've done to stop water getting onto the heads and in the vee, Have used EPDM roofing rubber sheet bonded to the underside of the engine cover to deflect water away from the heads, also re-routed the coolant bleed hose as the water was tracking down this and finding its way onto the top edge of the rocker cover.

IMG_20220611_175649_105.jpg

IMG_20220611_175558_191.jpg

My16 F-Type V6 340
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

jonm wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:08 pm Here whats I've done to stop water getting onto the heads and in the vee, Have used EPDM roofing rubber sheet bonded to the underside of the engine cover to deflect water away from the heads, also re-routed the coolant bleed hose as the water was tracking down this and finding its way onto the top edge of the rocker cover.

Nice preventative work on your modified engine top cover 👍

Similar to what I did here....viewtopic.php?p=59388#p59388
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Sandytim

Post by Sandytim »

jonm wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:08 pm Here whats I've done to stop water getting onto the heads and in the vee, Have used EPDM roofing rubber sheet bonded to the underside of the engine cover to deflect water away from the heads, also re-routed the coolant bleed hose as the water was tracking down this and finding its way onto the top edge of the rocker cover.
That looks the neatest solution I’ve seen.
What did you use to bond the sheet to the cover ?
Is it holding up ok ?
jonm

Post by jonm »

Just bog standard superglue. It's not a whole sheet going all the way under the cover, just a few small pieces around the edges.
It's holding up just fine.
My16 F-Type V6 340
Charlieepie

Post by Charlieepie »

Hi all, new to the forum and Jag ownership, sorry to resurrect the thread again but looks like it’s died and come back to life a few times anyway.

Anyway I’ve recently bought a 2015 RWD F-Type S, so precisely the model that suffers from this… it’s got the type of bonnet vent with the one line of tiny holes on rather than the open ones, though this doesn’t look like it makes much difference.

I haven’t had any issues at all (touch wood), before I bought it I had a look on the internet for common issues etc and most articles I came across were vague and just specified that if it’s been regularly serviced it should be good, will have SOME niggles as all cars do. Anyway now I’ve done some deeper digging it looks like this is a common(ish) problem…

I just wanted to know - is this really as common a problem as it sounds? (If you google F Type Injector seizures you get a lot of hits!). But I suppose nobody is posting specifically about NOT getting injector issues?!
And if so is there anything I can do to see whether mine has suffered from this - what am I looking for, is anything even visible in the engine bay or is it just a case of you find out if an injector fails and then is found to be seized?

And, is it worth covering (as RPSN has done) the gaps in the engine cover? Does this stop the water getting to the injectors? If so this seems like a reasonably easy win and I can get some high temperature foil tape and sort over the weekend.

I think I’m just a bit jumpy now I’ve read this and a few bits about splitting coolant pipes… I’ve recently come from owning a Toyota and they’re pretty much bullet proof so now I’m having nightmares about £11000 cylinder replacements :)

TIA!
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Charlieepie wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:06 am Hi all, new to the forum and Jag ownership, sorry to resurrect the thread again but looks like it’s died and come back to life a few times anyway.

Anyway I’ve recently bought a 2015 RWD F-Type S, so precisely the model that suffers from this… it’s got the type of bonnet vent with the one line of tiny holes on rather than the open ones, though this doesn’t look like it makes much difference.

I haven’t had any issues at all (touch wood), before I bought it I had a look on the internet for common issues etc and most articles I came across were vague and just specified that if it’s been regularly serviced it should be good, will have SOME niggles as all cars do. Anyway now I’ve done some deeper digging it looks like this is a common(ish) problem…

I just wanted to know - is this really as common a problem as it sounds? (If you google F Type Injector seizures you get a lot of hits!). But I suppose nobody is posting specifically about NOT getting injector issues?!
And if so is there anything I can do to see whether mine has suffered from this - what am I looking for, is anything even visible in the engine bay or is it just a case of you find out if an injector fails and then is found to be seized?

And, is it worth covering (as RPSN has done) the gaps in the engine cover? Does this stop the water getting to the injectors? If so this seems like a reasonably easy win and I can get some high temperature foil tape and sort over the weekend.

I think I’m just a bit jumpy now I’ve read this and a few bits about splitting coolant pipes… I’ve recently come from owning a Toyota and they’re pretty much bullet proof so now I’m having nightmares about £11000 cylinder replacements :)

TIA!
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Both the shrouded and open mesh bonnet vents allow water into the engine bay as you can see from this topic.

With regards to injector failures/seizure being a common problem, many more people are likely to report this than those who haven’t had any issues (good to hear you’re in the latter group). Of those reported, RWD drive cars seem to be more affected due to the design and position of the bonnet vents which is different to the AWD as explained here....viewtopic.php?p=48933#p48933
From MY21, cars have the vents positioned further down the bonnet (towards the front of the car).

By simply looking into the engine bay, you wouldn’t see anything visible which would indicate a seized injector.

I’ve had no injector or coolant pipe issues to date. My car (MY16) has the open mesh vents and it isn’t garaged etc i.e. it’s parked outside in the elements all year round.

In answer to your question, yes, as a preventative measure it’s worth covering the cut-outs/gaps in the engine cover as explained in this thread.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
jonm

Post by jonm »

Water ingress does not cause the injectors to fail, its just that when you come to replace them they are seized in.
I've not had any injector issues myself, the injectors have been revised 5 times over the various model years, I don't know which revision are the worst affected.

Latest revision was from 17607

Capture.PNG

I also stick to premium petrol for the extra cleaning additives they claim they add to it + lower ethanol as a preventative measure.
Also reading any car forum about a specific car you are going to hear about all the problems people are having with that car because they all come here when they have an issue, but not to report when everything is ok. But this is a good thing because he have a database here off all the known issues and the fixes!
My16 F-Type V6 340

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post