Bonnet Vents & Water Ingress

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
daveyc86

Post by daveyc86 »

I'm surprised at the concern in this thread.

As part of the assembly line process these cars go into what is in essence, a massive washing machine that throws hundreds of litres of water at them, to check for ingress that would cause an issue.

As others have said, water in the engine bay isn't a problem.

Personally, unless there have been lots of reported issues, I don't think I'd be taping stuff up etc. My 2p.

scm

Post by scm »

daveyc86 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:32 am As part of the assembly line process these cars go into what is in essence, a massive washing machine that throws hundreds of litres of water at them, to check for ingress that would cause an issue.
As others have said, water in the engine bay isn't a problem.
Personally, unless there have been lots of reported issues, I don't think I'd be taping stuff up etc. My 2p.
But the massive washing machine doesn't then wait for several years to check that any water hasn't corroded injectors or spark plugs into the block. And if the engine's hot, then water isn't a problem as it'll just evaporate away, but in the real world when a car is parked outside in the cold and the rain ....

And the RWD does seem to be prone to such issues, from the reports I've seen on here. Maybe that's why Jaguar repositioned the vents on the AWD when they had a chance to reengineer the hood/bonnet to acommodate the extra height requirement?
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
daveyc86

Post by daveyc86 »

All fair points
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

scm wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:34 am But the massive washing machine doesn't then wait for several years to check that any water hasn't corroded injectors or spark plugs into the block. And if the engine's hot, then water isn't a problem as it'll just evaporate away, but in the real world when a car is parked outside in the cold and the rain ....

And the RWD does seem to be prone to such issues, from the reports I've seen on here. Maybe that's why Jaguar repositioned the vents on the AWD when they had a chance to reengineer the hood/bonnet to acommodate the extra height requirement?

Well explained scm.

In response to daveyc86:

Even though these cars have (apparently) been thoroughly tested for water ingress, the concern in this thread has been due to issues that some of the V6 RWD owners have experienced such as this......’Failed and stuck in injector problem’ viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4816

It's normal for water to be entering through the 'open mesh' bonnet vents on my car and this is ok providing it's not causing any problems.

I've had nothing go wrong with the fuel injectors etc so far, but as my car is parked on the driveway (in all weather conditions) it could just be a matter of time. My philosophy is ‘prevention is better than cure’.

Since my experiment on taping off the grooves/cut-outs in the plastic top engine cover, more of the water that enters through the bonnet vents now appears to be draining down the outer surface of the plastic side engine cover instead of getting behind it and onto the fuel injectors etc (see photos).

I wouldn’t consider totally sealing up the ‘open mesh’ bonnet vents on my car as they are required for cooling/ventilation of the engine bay etc.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

RPSN wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:16 pm I wouldn’t consider totally sealing up the ‘open mesh’ bonnet vents on my car as they are required for cooling/ventilation of the engine bay etc.
Just playing the devil's advocate here.
If your open mesh vents are needed for cooling and ventilation then why don't all V6's have them instead of the virtually closed ones we have seen in other photos ?

One thing that also comes to mind is that the hoses on the sides of the cover next to the tape have been identifies as coolant hoses in previous post.
Perhaps someone could remove the cover and get a photo of the injectors so people can see where they actually are ?
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

PhilB wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:33 pm Just playing the devil's advocate here.
If your open mesh vents are needed for cooling and ventilation then why don't all V6's have them instead of the virtually closed ones we have seen in other photos ?

One thing that also comes to mind is that the hoses on the sides of the cover next to the tape have been identifies as coolant hoses in previous post.
Perhaps someone could remove the cover and get a photo of the injectors so people can see where they actually are ?

If, after driving my car for a while then parking it up, I put my hands over the ‘open mesh’ bonnet vents, I can feel the heat that is coming from them. This is enough to warm my hands up on a cold day, so the vents are definitely serving their purpose. Sometimes, you can also see the heat waves rising up from the vents into the air, which is nice!

As we’ve seen from GusA’s photos of the bonnet vents on his P380 R Dynamic RWD Convertible MY20, the open vented area on them is much smaller than those on my own car. I don’t know the reason for this?

Yes, the 2 hoses on each side of the engine top cover are the intercooler feed lines for the supercharger unit. The fuel injectors are lower down below the plastic side engine cover (shielding).

Here’s a few links on the removal and replacement of the seized fuel injectors which include some good info, pictures and a short video showing the injector removal.

http://www.apautodiagnostics.com/petrol ... val-seized

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-ty ... ep-220006/

screen capture.png

Last edited by RPSN on Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

As @scm said, they redesigned the bonnet for the AWD models to put the vents further forward, perhaps because of the injector issues?

I think they have done the same for all 2021 model cars too (standing by to be corrected on this).

Maybe they made the vent holes much smaller on later V6 cars like mine so that the engine stayed warmer for longer in order to evaporate more of the water stuck down by the injectors? No heat comes out of them at all after switching off and the small holes seem only to be there to prevent water from pooling in the vent itself.

Since taping up no water has got in at all so will continue as I am for the time being.

In a previous job I used to work with British and American designed electronic control units for vehicles, the British ones had drain holes to allow any water to drain out, the American ones were sealed and didn’t allow water in in the first place - you can guess which ones we had most problems with....
scm

Post by scm »

GusA wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:25 pm As @scm said, they redesigned the bonnet for the AWD models to put the vents further forward, perhaps because of the injector issues?
The pedant in me has to point out that, AIUI, the bonnet was redesigned to accommodate the requirements of the AWD system, any vent repositioning may have merely been opportunistic. ;)
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

scm wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:57 pm
GusA wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:25 pm As @scm said, they redesigned the bonnet for the AWD models to put the vents further forward, perhaps because of the injector issues?
The pedant in me has to point out that, AIUI, the bonnet was redesigned to accommodate the requirements of the AWD system, any vent repositioning may have merely been opportunistic. ;)

You don’t have to, you know?

I’ve no idea what the bonnet has to do with turning the FT into a 4x4 and apart from the vents, what other differences are there to the bonnet? To me it’s just styling (with side effects) :|
scm

Post by scm »

GusA wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:11 pm I’ve no idea what the bonnet has to do with turning the FT into a 4x4 and apart from the vents, what other differences are there to the bonnet? To me it’s just styling (with side effects) :|
I believe the engine sits a bit higher in the AWD to make room for the front drive stuff, so the bonnet needed more clearance.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post