Bonnet Vents & Water Ingress

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

Ok, I’ve taken one of the vents out, quite easy but as others have said, a bit fiddly as there are several clips that all want to snap back into place!

7C55B560-BA28-4B3E-8C15-5087B09AB713.jpeg

F88EE2EC-5959-4C0B-AD49-0DC356AB65B1.jpeg

The actual vent holes now look even smaller.

7A832311-793A-46EC-B574-0C6C07D25F1A.jpeg

I’ve decided just to block them off with tape for the time being and see what happens over the next few weeks.

AA3FA24D-8D94-45C0-AE8B-73891D853F5C.jpeg

Guess I’ll find out. Also worth noting that water seems to get in around the edges of the vent finisher as it’s not a sealed fit, just plastic against the bonnet, as evidenced by the dirt left in the top two pictures above.

RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Worth keeping an eye on how the tape reacts to the heat from underneath?

I hope the blocked vents don’t have any adverse effects on the car?

With regards to the edges of the vent finisher where water seeps in, 'Roger T' sealed under the outer edges and not the vent holes themselves.

Here’s the link viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4816
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
Deleted User 1715

RPSN wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:01 pm Worth keeping an eye on how the tape reacts to the heat from underneath?

I hope the blocked vents don’t have any adverse effects on the car?

With regards to the edges of the vent finisher where water seeps in, 'Roger T' sealed under the outer edges and not the vent holes themselves.

Here’s the link viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4816

Interesting read thanks RPSN, I see you have the really open mesh vents and not the shrouded ones like mine. I will be keeping an eye on the tape of course but I’m interested in how much water gets around the edges. I don’t really want to put sealant around the edges as this could effectively glue the vent to the bonnet or put too much strain on the fragile plastic clips.

I will update this thread when I have more info.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Yes, I have the ‘open mesh’ vents.

Rather than putting sealant around the edges of the vent, ‘The Jagster’ put a layer of clear vinyl (anti-stone chip stuff) on the paintwork before covering it up with the vent trim. He didn't seal the vent holes themselves though.

Here’s the link viewtopic.php?t=1286
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Deleted User 1715

RPSN wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:47 pm Yes, I have the ‘open mesh’ vents.

Rather than putting sealant around the edges of the vent, ‘The Jagster’ put a layer of clear vinyl (anti-stone chip stuff) on the paintwork before covering it up with the vent trim. He didn't seal the vent holes themselves though.

Here’s the link viewtopic.php?t=1286
Thanks again, hadn’t seen that thread before. Mine don’t have any foam padding and are a very close fit. Even a clear film may put extra stress on the clips that hold them in place but definitely something to think about. Mine aren’t rubbing paintwork at all as you can see from the photos, although they do have a small square of thin black rubber at the pointy end which must help.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

👍
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

There have been numerous V6 owners who’ve reported that water ingress through the bonnet vents has been the cause for corroded/seized-in and failed fuel injectors etc.

The water ingress shouldn’t affect the vehicle as it's supposed to run off the engine's plastic covers and drain away, but some of it is reaching these areas.

It's normal for water to enter through the 'open mesh' bonnet vents on my car i.e when it's raining or when I wash it. Also, the car isn’t garaged.

Although I’ve had no issues with the fuel injectors, I decided to look into this matter further in case my car develops the same fault? As they say......'prevention is better than cure.'

On the attached photos of my engine cover, you can see the lighter colour around the areas where the ‘supercharged’ badges are on both sides of the cover. These are directly beneath the bonnet vents and water that passes through them appears to be dripping down through the cut-outs in the engine top cover (arrowed) and eventually onto the fuel injectors etc?

From reading some other reviews, it appears that fuel injector numbers 4 & 5 are those which often fail and this corresponds (approx) with the areas numbered 4 & 5 on the photo of the engine cover.

To help prevent this problem, I’ve temporarily applied black (50mm width) duck tape over the affected areas of the engine cover (this doesn't hinder the removal and replacement of the cover) as I didn’t want to seal off the bonnet vents which should be kept open for cooling and ventilation of the engine bay. As the duck tape now covers the cut-outs in the engine top cover, any water that passes through the bonnet vents is much more likely to bypass the gaps between the engine top and side plastic covers then drain off, instead of finding its way onto the fuel injectors etc.

At first, I was concerned about whether or not the duck tape could withstand the heat in the engine compartment but after quite a few journeys (which included some ‘spirited’ driving) and bringing the engine up to normal operating temperature, the tape is unaffected. The tape has a maximum operating temperature of 93°C which isn’t too far off what electrical insulation tape is. Insulation tape has already been applied by the manufacturer in various locations in the engine compartment including the top of the engine (underneath the plastic cover).

Even so, as a precautionary measure I’ve ordered some black aluminium foil adhesive tape (50mm width) which has a max operating temperature of 150°C and is flame retardant & self-extinguishing. One this arrives, I’ll be removing the duck tape and applying it instead.

Hope this is helpful to anyone who has the bonnet vents water ingress issues with their car.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.jpg

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Horti

Post by Horti »

This looks like some sort of solution and a nice bit of neat taping to boot! Would still be good to have a more oem look about it though, no offence intended on your work.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

It could well be a solution.....or help towards one?

No offence taken!

If anyone can improve on my idea that's great, as long as they know I patented it :lol:
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Geminii wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:43 am Having the same vents on my V6S 2014 model I have been watching this thread with interest.

Rather than the option of blocking where the water is coming in with possible cooling implications would it be practical to stop where it is going?

Looking at GusA's 3rd picture I wonder if a shield could be designed to go over the 2 injectors or slide under the engine cover to prevent water getting there. A possible 3D printer design.

I agree.......rather than blocking where the water is coming in through the bonnet vents (with possible cooling/ventilation implications) it would be more practical to try another method.

The 2 injectors that you mention in GusA's 3rd picture are actually the intercooler feed lines (coolant) and there are two of these on each side of the supercharger unit. They are marked as number 4 (hose) on the attached diagram.

The fuel injectors are lower down underneath the plastic side engine cover (shielding) and aren’t visible in the photograph. Water may be seeping in behind the shielding and onto the injectors etc?

1.jpg

2.png

Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies