Bonnet Vents & Water Ingress

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
scm

Post by scm »

I'll do it tomorrow when it's a bit less dark! ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

scm wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:16 pm I'll do it tomorrow when it's a bit less dark! ;)

:lol: :lol:
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

The awd drive bonnet is different to the rwd bonnet and yes they're are now covers over the top of the suspension strut to stop water ingress
as that is where the vents are now.
I would be very loathed to cover the vents up, they're there for a reason and not just for aesthetics
Firesand Coupe R
Vossen HF-3 Satin Bronze
SVR Rear Spoiler
H&R springs
Oem Project 7 grill
VAP tune, upper and lower pulleys,
200 cell cats, induction kit.
Supersprint cat back valved back box
Loud, very loud lol
650-660 bhp
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

GusA wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:19 pm Yes, my vents look like the No3 Vent Finisher in the diagram on the earlier thread. As you can see from my pictures the holes are tiny and I cannot believe they add any meaningful cooling or ventilation so I think I will try and block them off somehow, although I want avoid any pools of water being stuck in the vent after it’s blocked off.

The vents look like they’re quite easy to remove with plastic spring clips holding them in place - anyone know if this is the case or are they more difficult?

Personally, I wouldn't block off the bonnet vents as you may be doing more harm than good?

I mentioned earlier about another thread I've read which says that by closing off the vents would be like detuning the engine. This is that thread which was posted by 'SinF' (veteran member of the jaguarforums website)........

“I can confirm that hood vents are not ornamental, but essential for engine bay cooling during spirited driving. When I track the car, these vents are instrumental in keeping heat soak in check. However, for them to work optimally you need to remove engine cover.”

“I recommend you both remove engine cover and leave vents unblocked or potentially get engine power cut due to thermal issues. F-type is designed to be ultra-conservative in its approach to heat and will substantially cut power at slightest provocation. If you block these vents you will effectively detune your car during hot days.” https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-ty ... ts-215551/

In any case, if you need to remove the vents it's easy to do but take your time and don't force anything too much as they're quite delicate!......Just push and hold the plastic spring clips in together at either side of the vent until they clear the inner edge of the bonnet cut-out. There's also one plastic clip at the pointed (narrow) end of the vent which needs to be pushed in. Then carefully start pushing the vent out by hand, working your way along it and repeating. Once this is done you can pull the vent out from the top surface of the bonnet. See my edited photo of your vent including marker arrows which depict where all the plastic clips are.

As I mentioned on the 'MY16 5 year service' thread', viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4906&p=48918#p48918 I'm currently experimenting with an idea on the large plastic cover that sits on top of the engine......this may help to prevent water from getting to the injectors etc? I'll be posting what I've done soon.

1.jpg

2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

RPSN wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:26 am
GusA wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:19 pm Yes, my vents look like the No3 Vent Finisher in the diagram on the earlier thread. As you can see from my pictures the holes are tiny and I cannot believe they add any meaningful cooling or ventilation so I think I will try and block them off somehow, although I want avoid any pools of water being stuck in the vent after it’s blocked off.

The vents look like they’re quite easy to remove with plastic spring clips holding them in place - anyone know if this is the case or are they more difficult?

Personally, I wouldn't block off the bonnet vents as you may be doing more harm than good?

I mentioned earlier about another thread I've read which says that by closing off the vents would be like detuning the engine. This is that thread which was posted by 'SinF' (veteran member of the jaguarforums website)........

“I can confirm that hood vents are not ornamental, but essential for engine bay cooling during spirited driving. When I track the car, these vents are instrumental in keeping heat soak in check. However, for them to work optimally you need to remove engine cover.”

“I recommend you both remove engine cover and leave vents unblocked or potentially get engine power cut due to thermal issues. F-type is designed to be ultra-conservative in its approach to heat and will substantially cut power at slightest provocation. If you block these vents you will effectively detune your car during hot days.”

In any case, if you need to remove the vents it's easy to do but take your time and don't force anything too much as they're quite delicate!......Just push and hold the plastic spring clips in together at either side of the vent until they clear the inner edge of the bonnet cut-out. There's also one plastic clip at the pointed (narrow) end of the vent which needs to be pushed in. Then carefully start pushing the vent out by hand, working your way along it and repeating. Once this is done you can pull the vent out from the top surface of the bonnet. See my edited photo of your vent including marker arrows which depict where all the plastic clips are.

As I mentioned on the 'MY16 5 year service' thread', viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4906&p=48918#p48918 I'm currently experimenting with an idea on the large plastic cover that sits on top of the engine......this may help to prevent water from getting to the injectors etc? I'll be posting what I've done soon.

That’s useful thanks. I don’t track the car and will never push it to the point that heat soak is going to be a problem.

It’ll be interesting to see what you do with your cover.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

GusA wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:28 am That’s useful thanks. I don’t track the car and will never push it to the point that heat soak is going to be a problem.

It’ll be interesting to see what you do with your cover.

Even though you don’t track the car and will never push it to the point that heat soak is going to be a problem, I’d still be extremely weary of blocking off the vents especially after reading the info in the post I included from the jaguarforums website.

Also on the same link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-ty ... ts-215551/.......

“The problem without the open area hood vents is you are relying on the thermal transfer of the engine compartment heat through the aluminum bonnet that is a diffusion process to the air above it and is limited by the temperature of that air. Hood vents expedite that process”

and......

"Agreed, the vents do work to release heat from the engine bay but they could do with a lot more air flow"

I need to take my car out for a few more ‘spirited’ drives before I post what I’ve done to the engine cover. May take it out later if the roads dry up nicely.......gritters have been around lately aaargh!
Last edited by RPSN on Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

Interesting thread.
Looking at the pictures of the inside of the vents I think given the few holes and the size, the effect of cooling under the bonnet would be negligible.
I think they are drain holes so water doesn't pool in the vents.
I have had two XE's with the 340hp and the 380hp V6's and neither had vents in the bonnet.
The V6 is installed in other JLR models and again no vents.
They are supercharged not turbocharged so the heat under the bonnet isn't excessive like a turbo can be.
Do what you must but if that's JLR's idea of cooling vents then it seems pretty minimal to me.
scm

Post by scm »

GusA wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:42 pm Thanks @scm, any chance of a photo of what these covers look like?
Here you go, complete with a few drips from when I opened the bonnet ... :? Left hand side was bone dry.

RH-Cover-1.jpg

RH-Cover-2.jpg

MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

PhilB wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:52 am Interesting thread.
Looking at the pictures of the inside of the vents I think given the few holes and the size, the effect of cooling under the bonnet would be negligible.
I think they are drain holes so water doesn't pool in the vents.
I have had two XE's with the 340hp and the 380hp V6's and neither had vents in the bonnet.
The V6 is installed in other JLR models and again no vents.
They are supercharged not turbocharged so the heat under the bonnet isn't excessive like a turbo can be.
Do what you must but if that's JLR's idea of cooling vents then it seems pretty minimal to me.

Here’s another photo of the upper side of what I think are the same vents (correct me if they’re not GusA?).

Although the venting area isn’t that big, I’d say it would definitely help with the cooling/ventilation of the engine compartment.

As previously mentioned on the jaguarforums link.......“the F-type is designed to be ultra-conservative in its approach to heat and will substantially cut power at the slightest provocation.”

5.jpg

Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

scm wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:28 am Here you go, complete with a few drips from when I opened the bonnet ... :? Left hand side was bone dry.

As those plastic covers are for the AWD version they wouldn't be suitable for the RWD.

As Timbo said......."The awd drive bonnet is different to the rwd bonnet."

If you look at the light coloured watermark on the passenger side of GusA's engine cover (this is directly below the bonnet vent) you'll find it's in a different location to the plastic cover which is on the top of the suspension strut on your car.

9.jpeg

Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views