Centre Vent Service

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

So I've had another occurrence of sticky centre vent - roof down at 5 degrees C soon gets it brought into use!

I decided to take a look myself so have taken it out, motor off, spindle end caps off and hinge pins out.

I recall having read of someone who took the spindle out and gave it a little rub down and light grease, which is what I want to do too.

However the centre section of the spindle with the gear cam seems to prevent the spindle sliding out of its bearings and I don't want to force things apart that shouldn't be.

The workshop manual gives very little detail, as of course it is a swap out if not working and can't be recalibrated with the towing eye :roll:

I've searched the forum and my bookmarks but can't for the life of me find the link again - anyone who recalls coming across this and can point me in the right direction would be most appreciated.

Oh, and in passing I assume that the dashboard centre speaker is for Surround version - or someone has nicked mine! Either way it's just fine, as in all the JLR products I've driven I've never found surround to be satisfactory for listening to music and much prefer stereo for my one ear each side configuration :D
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust

Lunar

Post by Lunar »

And of course, having posted I've now found it!

Link to Word doc here...

https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0At6 ... uar_F-Type

Edit:
And pdf version here...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-ty ... ot-233413/
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
jono_h

Post by jono_h »

Are you not under warranty anymore Lunar? I know you’ve had your money’s worth previously.
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Hi John,

Hope all good with you.

Yes I am - and the dealer offered to sort it at the last service, but before they can replace it they have to follow JLR protocol and do a SW update, so I passed in case it messed with the sound.

It's nice just to pull it into Dynamic and have the exhaust open right from tick-over too - and have it on memory for when you return to the car 8-)

On with re-assembly now with some ptfe spray wiped on the bearing surfaces.
GBH

Post by GBH »

Mine is getting renewed under warranty on Thursday. I think they must seize with lack of use.
66 MY 17 Blackberry F Type 340
scm

Post by scm »

GBH wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:30 pm Mine is getting renewed under warranty on Thursday. I think they must seize with lack of use.
The downside of using "auto" in the cold weather! AIUI, the popup vent only delivers cold air, so never opens when it's cold (viz. during winter). I know when Spring is on the way as it pops up when I fire it up! However, knowing F-Types, that behaviour may depend on MY. ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

It certainly delivers warm air on convertibles - nice warm air on your left hand to complement the RH vent.
ralphr1780

Post by ralphr1780 »

scm wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:44 pm
GBH wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:30 pm Mine is getting renewed under warranty on Thursday. I think they must seize with lack of use.
The downside of using "auto" in the cold weather! AIUI, the popup vent only delivers cold air, so never opens when it's cold (viz. during winter). I know when Spring is on the way as it pops up when I fire it up! However, knowing F-Types, that behaviour may depend on MY. ;)
That's what I noted too on mine in the prevailing cold weather, if I go on the vent distribution screen and sélect front it will open up.
ralph
V6S-AWD-Coupé-LHD-Caldera Red-MY20 aka Red Devil
SVR-Coupé-LHD-Santorini Black-MY20 aka Nyx
@299Peter

Post by @299Peter »

I wanted to say thanks to all who have posted on this subject and to say this Forum is worth it’s weight in gold!

My MY15 V6S has recently exhibited the ‘sticky’ centre vent issue, anxious to avoid the inflated costs of doing this through the local JLR dealer, I sought out a recommended independent in Southend - DS Automotive

Booked my car in for its first MOT under my ownership and asked Dan to look at the sticky vent and sent him the excellent PDF posted earlier in this thread.

Picked the car up today, passed it’s MOT and the cost of repairing and testing the sticky vent - £70!!

Highly recommend DS Automotive and will look to put more business his way.

Thank you also to this thread and those of you who have contributed.

Regards - Peter
Black V6S MY15 380PS F-Type
Love the car
Love the noise
Love the headturning!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post