Faulty Active Exhaust

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
stefanwest1

Post by stefanwest1 »

Hi all,

I have a 2016 S, and I have an issue with the active exhaust being stuck open regardless of whether the button is active. I say I have an issue, my neighbours have an issue.

I’ve checked the obvious, I.e. the fuse and that’s fine, and I also had a feel underneath at the valves themselves. I can’t move them by hand but I don’t really know how stiff they’re supposed to be. I also had the other half turning the button on and off with the engine running and I couldn’t feel even the slightest bit of movement, so I can’t imagine they’re just stuck. I would have thought I’d feel it trying to move at least

I can’t see any obvious issues with the vacuum line but is there anything else I can check. Unfortunately I don’t believe this is something covered by Jags used warranty so it’s down to me

scm

Post by scm »

stefanwest1 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:58 pmI also had the other half turning the button on and off with the engine running and I couldn’t feel even the slightest bit of movement, so I can’t imagine they’re just stuck. I would have thought I’d feel it trying to move at least
Was the car in dynamic mode when you operated the switch? For some model years the valves won't open at tickover regardless of the switch position, whereas they should open in dynamic.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
stefanwest1

Post by stefanwest1 »

It wasn’t in Dynamic no. I assumed putting it dynamic kept them open regardless. But I’ll give it a try in the morning to be sure!
scm

Post by scm »

stefanwest1 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:40 pm It wasn’t in Dynamic no. I assumed putting it dynamic kept them open regardless. But I’ll give it a try in the morning to be sure!
No, the switch is on by default in dynamic, but you can use the switch to close the valves. It then becomes a "quiet" switch. ;) Of course, above about 3,500 revs the valves will open anyway, regardless of switch position.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

stefanwest1 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:58 pm Hi all,

I have a 2016 S, and I have an issue with the active exhaust being stuck open regardless of whether the button is active. I say I have an issue, my neighbours have an issue.

I’ve checked the obvious, I.e. the fuse and that’s fine, and I also had a feel underneath at the valves themselves. I can’t move them by hand but I don’t really know how stiff they’re supposed to be. I also had the other half turning the button on and off with the engine running and I couldn’t feel even the slightest bit of movement, so I can’t imagine they’re just stuck. I would have thought I’d feel it trying to move at least

I can’t see any obvious issues with the vacuum line but is there anything else I can check. Unfortunately I don’t believe this is something covered by Jags used warranty so it’s down to me

On the 2016 V6 S, the exhaust valve actuator rods can be seen operating by getting under the car whilst someone presses the active exhaust button when the car is idling. Like you, I also did this test with my missus pressing the button.

If after doing this you cannot see any movement then have your 'other half' to increase the revs to approx 1500 rpm then press the active exhaust button whilst you check the valve operation from underneath the car.

If you still don’t see any movement and as you’ve checked the fuse and vacuum lines which appear to be ok, then it seems that the valves are indeed seized.

There is plenty of information on how to rectify the problem on this forum and I've attached a few links which may help.

P.S. Out of curiosity, do you use your car quite regularly throughout the year or are there long periods when the car isn't used or started e.g. at winter time etc?

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4436

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2799

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4635
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
Fez

Post by Fez »

Agree with RPSN, the valves should move easily, put your had on the actuator rod and push in gently (they return on their own). If they do not move then that's your problem. The links above give various options to resolve. Good luck.
Black AWD 400, sport
MY 18.5
Pan Roof
Heated front screen
Front parking sensors
Full spare

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post