roof stuck open

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
richymann

Post by richymann »

Hi, I have a 2014 f tyoe 3.0. when raising the roof the side flaps went up and the system stopped. I have checked the fuses and they are OK; no fault codes either. I have searched the web and someone has had an identical problem with the open roof latch sensor (I think this is a sensor attached to the lock thst keeps the roof locked in the open position), apparently this may be earthed and this connection can lose conductivity stopping the system in its tracks. Doies anyone know where this is located and how I can access it -or have any other solutions ?

RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Is the car battery fully charged? I ask this because the roof main latch and retract motors need a lot of current to drive them.

Have you tried rebooting the system by disconnecting then reconnecting the battery?

I've read that there is a crank handle for the roof motor in the passenger footwell that can be operated manually if need be?

You may have a poor connection on one of the terminals inside the power distribution block which is located underneath the car boot floor cover. The power distribution block has numerous connections/terminals inside it which apparently include those for the roof signals. Sometimes these can loosen and need to be tightened.

The following two links show how to access the power distribution block on the F-Type convertible and I’ve attached some photos.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4379&start=40#p43966

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3920&start=90

Also have a read through this link as you may find it helpful? viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2059

This is one of the replies in the link......

"I don't know if this is any help but will offer my similar story.

A while ago I had the same problem on my same year V6S.

Hood went down, flaps stayed up and it refused to close/lock again.

It then, about 10 mins later, decided to operate properly and continued for several days to seem back to normal.

It then failed and refused to move at all, down, flaps up, roof unlatched warning.

I too tried the manual roof close technique and to be honest could not work out how it was supposed to work until explained by my dealership.

Anyway, my dealer took the car in for an investigation and were completely baffled by the symptoms having never heard of it before.

After 3 days of experimentation the guy working on it went back to real basics. On another model in the dealership, he compared all the voltages and currents on that car with mine and eventually found a poor connection in the boot under the floor.

I was told, but never looked myself, that there is an old style chocolate block connector under there that carries a lot of the roof signals. He found a loose terminal, tightened it and all has worked ever since (2 years now). No motors/sensors required just a good technician/mechanic/electrician!"

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

5.jpeg

2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
scharlton

Post by scharlton »

Hi,

Looks like the last answer is very thorough and more help than I will be.

My wife used to have an Audi convertible and the roof opened one spring but would not close. Turned out to be the teeth on the drive wheel to raise the roof were sheared off. Anyway, I mention this more to pass on advice from the guy that fixed it. He said many roofs fail in the spring as they have not been used for months and all joints and materials are set in one position and grease dried. He recommended raising and lowering the roof each journey or every 2 weeks through the winter just to keep everything free, seems like good advice.
2014 Coupe 5.0R RWD
White
Herts

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post