Battery Life Question

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
santoshlv426

Post by santoshlv426 »

Hello All,
I need some opinions on this conundrum regarding the life of the F type's AGM battery. My car still has the original battery and since it's a 2016 model, it's 4 years going on 5.
I took it in yesterday specifically to check the battery and it was found to be fine. They did three tests,

Each showed the battery was "Good". Tests were done in and out of the car.

I know that by Murphy's law that this battery will fail exactly when it's out of the maintainance plan.

My question is how long do these typically last ? The car is not started like most as it's not my daily drive - it's used about once to twice a week. Now this means that it works less but it under greater strain when it does start first time after 7 days.
any comments on how long your batteries have lasted ?
Thanks

Battery.jpg

F Type 5.0L V8 RWD 2016
Rhodium Silver

Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Funnily enough I was wondering the same thing last night.
I had one occurrence of "Low Battery Start Engine" on my 2014 convertible (roof down whenever it's dry) in early April, so bought a new AGM battery, conditioned it - and it's been sat in the lounge ever since.
With temps hovering around zero now I'm just waiting for another warning message and I'll condition it again and heft it in - just the weight lifting exercise I need after the Christmas calories!
But at the moment it's showing no signs of retirement yet after 6 1/2 years.
Ditto for the exhaust - although I try not to do short trips and the dynamic switch is always pulled before starting, to keep the butterfly valves moving freely. More likely to wear out the spindles and have them drop off :roll:
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Batteries can fail in a year or last a decade. My '09 XF was on factory original when traded in 2018. F Type looks to be the OEM on a 2014 MY so 6+ years.
My Evoque failed last month after 3 years 2 months with sudden cell failure, ironically just after warranty expired :(

Morale is there is no way to know how long it will last, although from experience letting a battery run totally flat is the quickest way to destroy it.
Given the best warranties are around 4 years that says where manufacturers think failures will ramp up

Personally I would not change it unless or until it starts to regularly give clues, such as batter low charge even if recently driven, or a low reading on an in car tester when stood.
If it makes you sleep better at night, then it's probably £150 well spent
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

I think it's one of those items you leave until it fails in my opinion. My F is a daily driver but if I'm working away then it sits for 6-7 weeks outside and no issues to report after 3.5 years and no trickle charger around here!

Our Nissan family wagon the battery failed at 2.5 years and after 3 RAC call outs and 2 jump starts the RAC still tested it as OK but not charged but Nissan swapped it under warranty no issues.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
santoshlv426

Post by santoshlv426 »

So it seems that there's no definitive answer. Here a new battery from JLR will cost me between 250 - 275 pounds (using the exchange rate).
I priced the same spec AGM battery from an independant (not JLR) and it's half the price !! Which I think is extortion.
I'm going to do the same for the brake pads - price from an independant as JLR quote about 500-700 pounds for a set of front and rear pads
F Type 5.0L V8 RWD 2016
Rhodium Silver

Tel

Post by Tel »

There's too many variables to say how long a battery may last...e.g the temps in SA may or may not affect your lifespan compared to say a UK car. How many times it has been used and abused also determines lifespan, as well as good 'ole luck.

One key factor, that in my opinion saves these types of battery, is not having to do stop/start (i.e been disabled) cycles. Mines been in form 2015, holds charge reasonably, and is just OK. It's had an easy life with no stop/start cycles and sits in a temp/hum controlled environment.

If you have the stop/start disabled, I see no reason why you would put an AGM in place of the OEM AGM battery.
A good quality sealed Pb acid of similar spec should be fine, and at about a 1/4 of the price, a little less of an impact on the wallet.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
GARETH

Post by GARETH »

My 2014 is on original battery. It’s not used much but has always started, although recently it turns a bit slow, but still goes ok. I’ve fitted a charge quick connector recently to allow me to leave it on trickle charge when not used.
2014 Jaguar F-Type 3.0 S Coupe in Salsa red
2021 Land Rover Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE
1968 Land Rover Series 2a 88”
1966 Land Rover Series 2a 109” ex army.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post