Adjusting Bonnet Panel Gaps

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Fez

Post by Fez »

Ask for Enriki service manager. When you arrive she will take photo,s of your car. This protects you and them from any discussion over condition of outside including wheels and inside. Then on pick ask Enriki to walk round the car with you to check all is good. Phil.
Black AWD 400, sport
MY 18.5
Pan Roof
Heated front screen
Front parking sensors
Full spare

Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

Fez wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:03 pm Ask for Enriki service manager. When you arrive she will take photo,s of your car. This protects you and them from any discussion over condition of outside including wheels and inside. Then on pick ask Enriki to walk round the car with you to check all is good. Phil.

That’s very helpful thanks Phil, I’ll try and book in with them but due to work commitments I may have to book closer to home, unless I can leave it with them the night before or make some other arrangements. Will post how I get on!
Deleted User 1715

Fez wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:03 pm Ask for Enriki service manager. When you arrive she will take photo,s of your car. This protects you and them from any discussion over condition of outside including wheels and inside. Then on pick ask Enriki to walk round the car with you to check all is good. Phil.

Spoke to Enriki and booked in for early March, will let you know how it goes! Thanks again for the lead.
Deleted User 1715

Update: Car serviced today at Harwoods Chichester and they had a go at correcting the alignment. It’s not perfect by any means but it is a bit better than it was. Strange that all the other gaps around the car are fine. Their master tech was surprised that the technical bulletin was still active from 2013 and has never been addressed, relying on customer complaints instead.

Looks to me like they’ve just lifted the bonnet a bit at the back but I may be doing them a disservice. Can’t decide whether it’s worth chasing to get it better or just live with it, it doesn’t affect the car at all. Thoughts?

7CB0AE88-E9D5-4533-AF6A-E7B94BF847B5.jpeg

073EE355-73F6-4FB8-81EB-4119F0C7A62B.jpeg

RPSN

Post by RPSN »

GusA wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:13 pm Update: Car serviced today at Harwoods Chichester and they had a go at correcting the alignment. It’s not perfect by any means but it is a bit better than it was. Strange that all the other gaps around the car are fine. Their master tech was surprised that the technical bulletin was still active from 2013 and has never been addressed, relying on customer complaints instead.

Looks to me like they’ve just lifted the bonnet a bit at the back but I may be doing them a disservice. Can’t decide whether it’s worth chasing to get it better or just live with it, it doesn’t affect the car at all. Thoughts?

The alignment between the front bumper panel and bonnet is much better than it was and is easily acceptable. You should also check the gap between the front of the bonnet and bumper panel (in between the headlamps) to ensure it is equal and flush.

The panel alignment has not been achieved by just lifting the bonnet at the rear or the front. The front bumper panel has been realigned as per the Jaguar Technical Bulletin I provided earlier so you would indeed be doing a disservice to Harwoods Chicester by thinking any different.
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
Deleted User 1715

RPSN wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:22 am
GusA wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:13 pm Update: Car serviced today at Harwoods Chichester and they had a go at correcting the alignment. It’s not perfect by any means but it is a bit better than it was. Strange that all the other gaps around the car are fine. Their master tech was surprised that the technical bulletin was still active from 2013 and has never been addressed, relying on customer complaints instead.

The alignment between the front bumper and bonnet is much better than it was and is easily acceptable. You should also check the gap between the front of the bonnet and bumper panel (in between the headlamps) to ensure it is equal and flush.

The panel alignment has not been achieved by just lifting the bonnet at the rear or the front. The front bumper has been realigned as per the Jaguar Technical Bulletin I provided earlier so you would indeed be doing a disservice to Harwoods Chicester by thinking any different.

The gaps at the front of the bonnet/headlights are ok and they look as they did before. That was why I thought it would be very difficult to get it much better at just the area on the rear right of the bonnet. They have definitely improved the fit between the bonnet and front bumper but the gap between the bonnet and the panel behind the front wheel has grown to 8-9mm which is bigger than it was and why it looked a bit like the rear of the bonnet had been lifted. In truth I can see they did a lot more as the rear panel has been moved forwards slightly so it now aligns at the bottom.

The tech bulletin doesn’t really give them enough time to fettle it anymore, think they’re given a total of around 1:40 which doesn’t seem like a lot.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Comparing your original photo with your most recent ones, the gap between the bonnet and front right rocker cover panel (behind the wheel) doesn’t look much different? Perhaps in the flesh it does?

As you can see from the bulletin, to get the panels correctly aligned involves a fair bit of work which allows considerably more time than 1.4 hours.

If you’re not satisfied then take it back to Harwoods before your car is outside of the Jaguar ‘1 year from manufacture’ panel alignment policy.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Deleted User 1715

RPSN wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:05 am Comparing your original photo with your most recent ones, the gap between the bonnet and front right rocker cover panel (behind the wheel) doesn’t look much different? Perhaps in the flesh it does?

As you can see from the bulletin, to get the panels correctly aligned involves a fair bit of work which allows considerably more time than 1.4 hours.

If you’re not satisfied then take it back to Harwoods before your car is outside of the Jaguar ‘1 year from manufacture’ panel alignment policy.
The gap has increased by about 2mm from 6 before to 8-9mm now, the photos don’t really show it that well. I can take it back to Harwoods of course but I’m not sure what else they can do to make it better. They’ve followed the tech bulletin and adjusted everything as well as they can so taking it back is unlikely to make much difference. I guess I just have to accept it as a bit of character as most people probably don’t even notice it.

I imagine there are far worse ones out there so I’ll just get in and enjoy the car! And thanks for your help providing the bulletin, they were surprised it still applied to my MY20 car!
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

The front end panel alignment on mine (where the bonnet meets the bumper panel near the wheel) is worse than yours but to the untrained eye it’s hardly noticeable. These cars sure have plenty of character and I've learnt to live with this.

Glad the bulletin helped 👍
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Fez

Post by Fez »

For what it's worth, believe Harwoods have done their best within the limits of what's achievable. Enjoy the car...
Black AWD 400, sport
MY 18.5
Pan Roof
Heated front screen
Front parking sensors
Full spare

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post