New battery cost

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
cs9

Post by cs9 »

Hi everyone,

My F-type 2015 R has been displaying the low battery warning message for a while now, the other week I had to jump start the car and even after a long(ish) drive, I am still getting the low battery error.

I took it to a local halfords to supply and fit a new battery and they quoted £230, which they said was a very good price and would be double at the dealers, but were out of stock and apparently can't get any in for at least a month and the price would rise considerably, so I told them to leave it!

Waiting on some quotes back from a couple of local places, but any idea what I should roughly be paying for a new battery, after the halfords incident I have no idea what a 'decent' price I should be looking for is??

Cheers :)

Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Here you go...

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/varta/g14/

Bargain for a Varta!

They also manufacture the batteries for Bosch who give an extra year's warranty - but I went with a Varta.

Do check that your R uses the same spec. battery though - that was for a V6.

...still on the lounge floor after 9 months as the low battery message has gone away, but expecting it back anytime soon in these temps. and now that it's coming up to 7 years old.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
T50 YOX

Post by T50 YOX »

I would try euro car parts or someone similar a lot cheaper than Halfords
IRR 3.0 coupe 2015 black pack, design pack , 20” carbon blades,fixed rear spoiler, carbon centre console engine coverunder bonnet trims , flat bottom royal steering wheel red stitching v8 back box rear defuser lots of smiles 😀😀😀
scm

Post by scm »

tayna.co.uk is the place to go, as Lunar pointed out.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
cs9

Post by cs9 »

Thanks everyone, I will try and find out if the R has the same battery has the V6.

Has anyone tried to fit one of these themselves?
scm

Post by scm »

I did a battery replacement on my 2010 XKR, which apparently has to be programmed to the car. I just removed the old one and fitted the new one, gave it a good charge and it was fine until I swapped the car for the F-Type. I have no reason to suppose the F-Type would be any more complicated, but welcome being put right!

just remembered: the battery location in the XKR is at the front of the boot immediately behind the rear "seats" so involves a lot of stretching across to reach it - and it's a bloody heavy battery! The F-Type at least is nicely situated by the back of the boot so easily reachable.

It's always a good idea to fully charge any new battery before use - apparently they're not necessarily topped up before sale.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Tel

Post by Tel »

2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

cs9 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:48 pm Hi everyone,

My F-type 2015 R has been displaying the low battery warning message for a while now, the other week I had to jump start the car and even after a long(ish) drive, I am still getting the low battery error.

I took it to a local halfords to supply and fit a new battery and they quoted £230, which they said was a very good price and would be double at the dealers, but were out of stock and apparently can't get any in for at least a month and the price would rise considerably, so I told them to leave it!

Waiting on some quotes back from a couple of local places, but any idea what I should roughly be paying for a new battery, after the halfords incident I have no idea what a 'decent' price I should be looking for is??

Cheers :)
cs9 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:10 pm Thanks everyone, I will try and find out if the R has the same battery has the V6.

Has anyone tried to fit one of these themselves?

Hi, It’s worth checking that after locking your car the hazard warning light on the centre console goes off after a while (this takes quite some time). If it remains on this can indicate a drain on the battery which can be rectified by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes then reconnecting (no need to remove battery).

Before replacing the battery you could try charging it with a trickle charger such as the CTEK MXS 5.0, then see if the battery holds its charge in the days/weeks afterwards?

Your F-type 2015 R has exactly the same main battery as my 2016 V6 S. I’m not certain on this but as your car is an earlier model than mine it may also have a second (smaller) battery which is for the auto stop/start? Perhaps someone can confirm whether or not this is the case?

This BOSCH AGM battery for my car costs approx £183 inc VAT and delivery. Here’s a link..... https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/bosch/s5a13/

As you previously mentioned Halfords, their own brand fits my car and it’s in stock. It costs £186 without fitting or £211 fitted (fitting is a £25 option). Here’s the link.....https://www.halfords.com/motoring/batte ... 48653.html

This is another great website for car parts. It’s the sister website of eurocarparts.com but it’s online only and is cheaper on some parts (including batteries)......https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/

With regards to fitting the battery, I haven’t yet needed to do this on my car but when the time comes I’ll be doing the job myself. The only thing is, I’ve read that on vehicles fitted with the Battery Monitoring System (BMS), the BMS control module must be reset following the installation of a new battery and the BMS control module reset procedure must be performed using an approved diagnostic system?

If this is something that needs to be done and I can’t sort out myself e.g. by disconnecting then reconnecting the battery, I’ll try my local independent garage or the Halfords fitting service (Halfords will plug into the OBD port to see if their system can reset the BMS).

Also the window motors, audio unit preset radio frequencies, clock time, etc, may need resetting which is easy enough to do.
Last edited by RPSN on Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
ftypescotland

Post by ftypescotland »

My 2014 Ftype R has the main and secondary battery as mentioned.
Scott
F-Type R Rwd Salsa Red
https://www.instagram.com/ftypescotland/
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

RPSN, plenty of people have changed there batterys without having to do anything with the bms.
Also you should only have to reset the windows, thats all i had to do when i last disconnected the battery.
Firesand Coupe R
Vossen HF-3 Satin Bronze
SVR Rear Spoiler
H&R springs
Oem Project 7 grill
VAP tune, upper and lower pulleys,
200 cell cats, induction kit.
Supersprint cat back valved back box
Loud, very loud lol
650-660 bhp

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies