Flickering Headlights

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
scm

Post by scm »

And make sure you don't close the boot! Put something over the back to prevent it closing.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Good tip scm.

Just in case the boot is accidentally closed when the battery is removed from the car, he can open it by using the jump starting points underneath the bonnet......

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4896
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
StevenS

Post by StevenS »

Today’s update. Started in the boot, battery out, checked over, nothing to report. HOWEVER I did notice that the negative lead from the battery to boot floor feels rock solid when attached to the battery, and is a really stiff cable but as soon as it was off the battery it didn’t feel solid on the floor connection. I think when the battery was changed a few months back the movement had slackened the nut on the boot floor - certainly loosened very easily when I removed it. Checked over, refitted and tightened

I then went through the diagrams Tel provided and disconnected and reconnected the ones I could find / access. I couldnt fully relate to the diagrams and you need to be a contortionist to access some of them but I managed a few

The ones in the passenger footwell I got to one but the others seem to be between two layers of metal - they could not be removed without major surgery ! but they seemed well seated

Re assembled, re connected battery - no issues - I lost the trip computer mileages etc but windows and everything else ok - even memory seat settings were fine

Test drive and no flickering even with every piece of electrical stuff on - lights, heated windows, infotainment, sat nav etc

Only time will tell if the earth connection being slightly loose was the problem - I will update further but thanks to all for the advice here and fingers crossed it is fixed

Steven
2015 3.0V6 S 380bhp Coupe. Corrus grey metallic with smoked grey alloys.
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

At least you found something that wasn’t right so hopefully that will be it, although surprised that if the loose negative connection was the cause that it didn’t affect starting the car, but only affected lights and infotainment.

Fingers crossed for you.
StevenS

Post by StevenS »

I did have to reset the windows - despite them being shut the remote app was telling me they were open. Reset as above takes a few seconds. Also time / date etc needed redone - again a few seconds

I will be surprised if tightening the negative lead is the fix but will update in a few days. At least I have checked areas of the car I didn’t know existed ! And will need to revisit the connection in the wheel arch to weatherproof it - but it is -2 degrees today so not doing that today !
Tel

Post by Tel »

StevenS wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:38 pm I will be surprised if tightening the negative lead is the fix but will update in a few days.
Very...as soon as you pull any serious current through a loose earth lead, all havoc normally breaks loose, and there's far more power hungry devices than the HID's (AC, starter, heated seats, windscreen etc) on these cars, so I as well would be surprised...still, it's one thing crossed off the list and a good experience. At least you gave it a go and can now see at night...result!
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
StevenS

Post by StevenS »

All

Latest update is that i have used the car for last week - driven approx 140 miles, without any flickering. Whether the earth terminal, the inner wing connection, the reseating of as many connectors as i could find, or simply ensuring all fuses / relays were pushed solidly home has done the trick remains to be seen - i remain unsure i have fixed the issue - but fingers crossed

Many thanks to all for the advise and assistance - i will update gain next week and hopefully be able to say it is resolved !!

Steven
scm

Post by scm »

Goodish news, then! Hope it continues to behave itself .... ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

StevenS wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:54 pm All

Latest update is that i have used the car for last week - driven approx 140 miles, without any flickering. Whether the earth terminal, the inner wing connection, the reseating of as many connectors as i could find, or simply ensuring all fuses / relays were pushed solidly home has done the trick remains to be seen - i remain unsure i have fixed the issue - but fingers crossed

Many thanks to all for the advise and assistance - i will update gain next week and hopefully be able to say it is resolved !!

Steven

That’s good news, hopefully just a poor connection somewhere that’s now better. As they say, if it’s working, leave it alone!
NavigatorNI

Post by NavigatorNI »

I think that the loose earth cable you found & tightened sounds the likely culprit, fingers crossed. Thanks for the update. It's always good to hear feedback to see if ideas from members' suggestions have helped.
V6S Coupé, RWD, MY16
Salsa Red
20" Turbine silver alloys
Lots of extras
Lots of noise
Lots of smiles :D :D :D

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post