Flickering Headlights

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
SSO

Post by SSO »

Steven - I hope all's well with your car still. I'm still having the same issues. I've had the battery health (93% score), charge (100%) and tightness of connections checked, including the earth stud which you found to be loose. The earth point behind the driver side front wheel has also been cleaned up and protected.

Had about 20 issue free miles after that was done then all hell let loose again, with relays clicking like machine gun fire and the info screen flashing fast enough to trigger a fit. Thankfully the only fit I had was one of rage.

Going to have another go this weekend. Logic tells me this must be an earth connection issue but can anyone tell me if/where all the other earthing points are? Any guidance very gratefully received.

PS - mine's a MY16 V6 coupe.

StevenS

Post by StevenS »

Touch wood mine has been ok since my last report !

Did you check the big connectors in the passenger footwell - one of the posts from Tel showed some diagrams etc. I couldn’t get to them all but did manage to disconnect and reseat some of them

I also went over every fuse and relay ( including the one at front drivers side ) and checked they were fully seated.

I had previously read that the headlight stalk was a source of the problem - I got mine changed but it didn’t fix mine but may work for you - it isn’t cheap to replace but could help eliminate that possible source.

I agree it seems to be earth / bad connection. Also very frustrating and takes the fun out of driving as you are on edge wondering when it happens next

I really hope you get it fixed but it could just be a process of elimination - which could equally be expensive

Good luck and please keep us updated.
2015 3.0V6 S 380bhp Coupe. Corrus grey metallic with smoked grey alloys.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

SSO wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:56 pm Steven - I hope all's well with your car still. I'm still having the same issues. I've had the battery health (93% score), charge (100%) and tightness of connections checked, including the earth stud which you found to be loose. The earth point behind the driver side front wheel has also been cleaned up and protected.

Had about 20 issue free miles after that was done then all hell let loose again, with relays clicking like machine gun fire and the info screen flashing fast enough to trigger a fit. Thankfully the only fit I had was one of rage.

Going to have another go this weekend. Logic tells me this must be an earth connection issue but can anyone tell me if/where all the other earthing points are? Any guidance very gratefully received.

PS - mine's a MY16 V6 coupe.

Here's another earthing point which can cause problems.......I posted it earlier in the thread.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5025&start=10#p50433
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
DodgeeRascal

Post by DodgeeRascal »

Another sufferer here... 2013 V6 S Vert. Probably 8 weeks ago now found the car dead and required jumping to get into the boot and at the battery. Looked like an original Fiam and reading < 5V. Charged fully and ok for a day or two and flat again. New battery ordered and swapped in... ok for a couple of days and dead car again... then it was a couple of weeks of propping the boot open and leaving the battery disconnected incase I needed the car with low battery warnings etc on the dash.

Then the car was ok for two weeks holding it's charge and checking the volts every few days never dropping below 12V when standing... then yesterday on the 60 mile trip to office "Charging System Fault" on dash, flashing screen, relays clicking, wipers stopping and TCS turning off... oh heck.

So far have changed what I thought was a faulty headlight, removed the smart top module for the roof and removed the earth cable for the stop/start battery.
2013 IRR V6 S Vert
scm

Post by scm »

Have you checked the earthing points identified earlier in this thread?
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
DodgeeRascal

Post by DodgeeRascal »

Not yet. Will take a good read through and try all the points I can find/get at and report back.
2013 IRR V6 S Vert
StevenS

Post by StevenS »

If you have changed the battery then definitely check the negative lead from battery to boot floor. Cable is so stiff it loosens the nut when you move it. Mine was marginally loose but along with all the other checks seemed to fix it.

Good luck I hope you get it fixed - I know how frustrating it is !!
2015 3.0V6 S 380bhp Coupe. Corrus grey metallic with smoked grey alloys.
DodgeeRascal

Post by DodgeeRascal »

It's been a while but some good news (i think) is the battery has stopped draining and not seen anymore electrical issues. I haven't really done anything else since the last post other than double checking all the connections and leaving it charging for a full day - been trouble free for 5 or 6 weeks now so hoping it was just a loose connection or the replacement battery wasn't fully charged when it went in. Planning to put the smart top back in soon (Y)
2013 IRR V6 S Vert
scm

Post by scm »

DodgeeRascal wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:59 pm... been trouble free for 5 or 6 weeks now so hoping it was just a loose connection or the replacement battery wasn't fully charged when it went in.
New batteries are rarely fully charged when sold - I bought one recently for my second car and it took an overnight charge for the CTEK show the green light.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
reznicmi

Post by reznicmi »

Hello, I have problem with headLight flickering (on my XJ 351 - V6D - 202KW - 2010) .

Both bulbs is flicker simultaneously. I have a feeling that they flash when I drive slowly and flash the turn signal. Thi flash is really short (maby one or two cycles).

I changed:
both balast
both Xenon (bulb)

This dont solve problem but problem is occurs less.

I have now cleaned all the GND connections who was marked in this discusion plus groun near by airbox - air filter.
Next, I recharged the battery.

Now I had 3 short test in night (around 20 km) and without problem.

I have guestion.

What is control switch on / off of the headlights (Relay or electronic control unit)?

When is headlights controled by electronic unit wher is it?

When is headlights controled by Relay wher is it (fuse box close to engine or bag? Who realy is control headlight?)?

Thank you very much for response. And im sorry for my poor english :(

Michal

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post