2014 F Type Faulty convertible Roof

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Deleted User 3166

Post by Deleted User 3166 »

Hi I purchased a 2014 F type convertible 5L S 11 December 2020, private deal REG (OV14 NHZ)
The roof failed to operate so I took it to Dick Lovett at Melksham Wiltshire, the roof went down and would not go back up. They had the car over Christmas and they carried out all the tests, replaced the battery and I ended up with a bill of nearly £900. I took the car home and after a couple of days tried the roof and exactly the same happened, it went down and just would not go back up, only the side flaps! It is now back at Dick Lovett where they said the new battery was faulty so Jaguar will exchange under warranty. They replaced the battery and told me they would keep the car for a couple of days to test and try the roof. Yesterday which was Thursday the 28th of Jan I was about to pick the car up but unfortunately the roof would not operate again!! Can anyone advise what the problem is please as Dick Lovett MELKSHAM are clutching at straws and I am just racking up a massive bill. I have probably only done 50 miles in this car and so far it’s just been at the dealers.
(i’ve just noticed in the history file that there was a roof problem back in March 2020 where Jaguar London had it in and that occurred an £800 bill!)
Thanks and I hope someone can help
Robert Menghini (07970) 662112
Last edited by Deleted User 3166 on Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Hi Robert - and welcome!

Unfortunate that you are having expensive trouble so soon after purchase, and especially in this weather.

Hopefully getting this sorted will ensure you can enjoy your purchase as you intended - especially for such a nice low mileage car that no doubt looks good in black, although I would maybe have asked for a fresh MOT at purchase just for peace of mind.

I can't offer you much advice other than to say that if the roof goes down fine, but not back up, that points to something like a latch not releasing rather than a battery issue - you'll notice the roof latched message when you put it down. It sounds like it all sets off ok, windows going down, flaps rising, but then stops when the roof should be released. I would ask exactly what checks they have performed, other than just plugging in the diagnostics.

One of the disadvantages of a low mileage car is that some things aren't used "enough" and can get sticky and lazy, for want of a better phrase. If you have a switchable active exhaust button I would be sure to use that regularly also to help prevent the actuators and butterfly valves from sticking - if you're like me it will get used on every drive :D

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Deleted User 3166

Thanks for getting back to me, and yes I do use the active sport button every time I use the car it’s a must! Unfortunately with this roof, once it goes down that’s it, nothing at all, nothing on the dashboard, no warning signs whatsoever, just nothing! Very frustrating the other day after I lowered the roof and then it decided to rain, so I had to quickly dash to the Jaguar dealer in the rain!
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

Really sorry to hear of your roof issue and hope it gets solved soon.
Did the car not come with any form of warranty from Ben Mather?
I would be going straight back to them for compensation!
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

How long ago did you buy it?
If less than 6 months then you will be covered under consumer credit law (consumer rights act) as the fault will be deemed as existing at time of sale. Especially so as you have now seen evidence of it preexistimg.
I had my exhaust replaced this way as was my an item covered under warranty.
Few threads on here about the law.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Deleted User 3166

Thanks for the info, I bought the car at the beginning of last month, and the roof seemed to be okay then but there was an issue back in March last year. The car went in before Christmas 2020 and I haven’t seen it since, it’s still at Dick Lovett Melksham where they are trying to sort the problem out! it’s just incredibly frustrating
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

I would be putting something together in writing to Ben Mather advising them of the issue. Given your potential cost exposure, maybe worth a few pounds at a consumer law experts premises. You should not have to bear the cost of this repair.
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Lowbourne1 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:00 am Thanks for the info, I bought the car at the beginning of last month, and the roof seemed to be okay then but there was an issue back in March last year. The car went in before Christmas 2020 and I haven’t seen it since, it’s still at Dick Lovett Melksham where they are trying to sort the problem out! it’s just incredibly frustrating
You should not be paying for this. The money you have spent is probably sunk costs because you should have gone to the seller first, but hold them responsible. Either do some searching on the internet or speak to a solicitor.
For my claim a call to the selling (non Jag) dealer was all it needed and they just got on with it.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post