Keeping parked on incline

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
JagFLSC

Post by JagFLSC »

Hi All,

This might be really OTT. But just want to check...

Soon to buy an F Type, but had a thought about the fact that my drive is on an incline, couldn't find any other topics on this when searching (which probably indicates that this isn't an issue :)).

It won't -like most- be a daily driver, so will likely be parked up for several days at a time, maybe longer if I'm on holiday etc...

I see that the oil indicator is a bit sensitive on these (guessing that if overfill/low level light comes on, then this will go away once either driving or level again, assuming there isn't a genuine oil level issue, of course). But does anyone know whether there are any particular issues that keeping parked in this manner may cause with (auto) F Types?

As well as the electronic handbrake, does putting the F Type into 'P' mode lock the transmission (for example, a bit like putting manual cars in gear when parked on a hill).

Have attached picture of my drive and approximate angle.

Sorry if it's a stupid question :oops:

Cheers
Luke

Screenshot_20210313-110711_Protractor.jpg

20210313_110530.jpg

Last edited by JagFLSC on Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

scm

Post by scm »

My drive is a bit steeper than yours and I've had no issues in the two and a half years I've had mine parked there. The only downside is you can't check the oil level before starting the engine - it'll always shows underfilled (assuming you park "uphill"). Never had the oil warning light on, though. The level has to be checked (through the Vehicle Information menu) on dead level ground, or you won't get an accurate reading, even a slight (and I mean slight!) incline will give a false reading.

You're right about P locking the gearbox, but I always apply the EPB manually first to avoid putting any strain on the gearbox.

And during these "interesting" times, mine is often parked for several weeks at a time, again without any issues arising.

Bottom line - don't worry, it'll be fine!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
JagFLSC

Post by JagFLSC »

Brilliant! Thank you for your response! :)
Cluck

Post by Cluck »

Mine is also parked on an uphill driveway and gone 2 or 3 weeks at times without being driven. Not been a problem at all starting it up.

The only thing that does bother me is the oil level check, as there isn't a single part of the driveway here that is 'level', and it leads onto a road that goes downhill too. At some point, in the future, I'll do something about it, but there are more pressing priorities in life right now!
MY21 F-Type P450 R Dynamic in Portofino Blue, Black Exterior Pack, Performance Seats, Suede headlining (with Blur as support act)
Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

For oil level check, anywhere else that's flat works of course. Just needs to be warmed and then parked for maybe 10 mins plus. I occasionally put a reminder on my steering wheel when visiting the supermarket, I check it on return to the car.
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16
scm

Post by scm »

I used to check mine after visiting my physiotherapist, she has a nice flat car park (no, that's not a euphemism!). ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
JagFLSC

Post by JagFLSC »

Appreciate the replies, now just to buy one :D :D :D
Tel

Post by Tel »

scm wrote: โ†‘Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:12 pm I used to check mine after visiting my physiotherapist, she has a nice flat car park (no, that's not a euphemism!). ;)
My phsyciatrist was a Brazilian. Definitely worth checking every visit. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more ๐Ÿ’ฉ
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

JagFLSC wrote: โ†‘Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:58 am Soon to buy an F Type, but had a thought about the fact that my drive is on an incline, couldn't find any other topics on this when searching (which probably indicates that this isn't an issue :)).

It won't -like most- be a daily driver, so will likely be parked up for several days at a time, maybe longer if I'm on holiday etc...

I see that the oil indicator is a bit sensitive on these (guessing that if overfill/low level light comes on, then this will go away once either driving or level again

I'm assuming the garage shown in the photos is yours and it's not big enough/no room in it for the car, otherwise you wouldn't have to park on the inclined drive?
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
Tel

Post by Tel »

JagFLSC wrote: โ†‘Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:58 am Hi All,

This might be really OTT. But just want to check...

Soon to buy an F Type, but had a thought about the fact that my drive is on an incline, couldn't find any other topics on this when searching (which probably indicates that this isn't an issue :)).

I see that the oil indicator is a bit sensitive on these (guessing that if overfill/low level light comes on, then this will go away once either driving or level again, assuming there isn't a genuine oil level issue, of course). But does anyone know whether there are any particular issues that keeping parked in this manner may cause with (auto) F Types?

As well as the electronic handbrake, does putting the F Type into 'P' mode lock the transmission (for example, a bit like putting manual cars in gear when parked on a hill).

Have attached picture of my drive and approximate angle.

Sorry if it's a stupid question :oops:

Cheers
Luke

Footbrake, Electronic handbrake then into P straight after.

The one thing you might to consider Luke is the issue with water pooling.

On the flat, generally speaking the water drains front and back as long as thee draining routes/channels are clear of debris.

Parking on any decline/incline will allow water to 'pool' and only some will drain. This is fine once level again as it runs out.

For prolonged periods, I recommend parking nose-up, and alternating it to nose- down parking.

Our XFS does this with maybe only a degree or two of decline, couple that with a blocked drain, and the next point of contact is the electronics!!!
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more ๐Ÿ’ฉ