Engine block corrosion?

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Buildermike

Post by Buildermike »

Ive just been trough the same discussion.

Received from RSPN link below.

Have a read through this.....viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5188

Im not touching it.

RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Buildermike wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 7:37 pm Ive just been trough the same discussion.

Received from RSPN link below.

Have a read through this..... viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5188

Im not touching it.

For reference, these are the links to the discussion (inc your pics of the corrosion around the cylinder head etc).....

viewtopic.php?p=64118#p64118

viewtopic.php?p=64133#p64133

The white coloured aluminium oxide is a naturally occurring process which protects against further corrosion and usually results in aesthetic damage rather than functional damage.

Some interesting information on aluminium oxidation here.....viewtopic.php?p=52219#p52219
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
Spooks

Post by Spooks »

I was worried that my new F Type had been stored in a flood area. I was relieved when you guys confirmed it was normal. However a good dose of ACF50 has sorted the issue, all the corrosion has gone and it looks just as it should.
No smoke on first drive, just a bit smelly, nothing unpleasant. I don't mind giving it a 12 monthly spray to keep it looking good. :D
2020 F Type, Ultimate Black (Santorini) convertible. R Dynamic 3.0 RWD. Extended Winsor Ebony Leather pack. Spooky private plate. 20in wheels.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Bear in mind that ACF-50 is petroleum based and it’s not suitable for use on natural rubber (can cause it to swell) so you'd have to be careful when applying it. As well as in tyres and wiper blades, natural rubber is usually used in engine mount components etc, although many items in the engine compartment are made from synthetic rubber which is unaffected.

As the bonnet vents allow water/moisture into the engine compartment, the previously corroded areas that are getting abused from rain water and car washing etc are likely to need spraying more frequently than 12 months. You can check if the product is still working as water should bead on contact.

Out of curiosity, which method of applying ACF-50 did you use.....aerosol or spray bottle? I’ve heard the aerosol needs to be warm to stop it coming out like shaving foam and can sometimes lose all pressure after one use? Apparently the spray bottle is a better option that is easier to apply.

If you have any, could you post some photos of the worst corroded areas on your car before and after using ACF-50?
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Spooks

Post by Spooks »

I used aerosol spray, it was a bit thick, not really a spray. Perhaps I should have warmed it up? I would have preferred the plastic spray bottle However it appears to have lots left.
I don't have any pictures of before, it was exactly the same as the other picture on the thread. It now looks like it never had any corrosion in the first place.
2020 F Type, Ultimate Black (Santorini) convertible. R Dynamic 3.0 RWD. Extended Winsor Ebony Leather pack. Spooky private plate. 20in wheels.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Spooks wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:03 pm I used aerosol spray, it was a bit thick, not really a spray. Perhaps I should have warmed it up? I would have preferred the plastic spray bottle
The ACF-50 website link http://www.acf-50.co.uk/motorcycle.htm says.....”Keep the tin in a warm environment, shake very well before use”.

The site also has a product called ‘Corrosion Block’ http://www.acf-50.co.uk/automotive.htm
It says this about it......”Corrosion Block – Is the Industrial / Marine version of ACF-50. The main difference being a marginally thicker film and better suited where there may be dissimilar metals and / or salt water spray – so more suitable for Automotive/Marine/Industrial use.”
Spooks wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:03 pm I don't have any pictures of before, it was exactly the same as the other picture on the thread. It now looks like it never had any corrosion in the first place.
There are quite a few pictures of the aluminium corrosion in this thread so which one are you referring to? Any chance you could post some pics of the worst corroded areas on yours as they are now (after the ACF-50 application), so as to compare?
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
danrobinson187

Post by danrobinson187 »

Just noticed some corrosion on my jag too, it's spent most of its life indoors, 2014 with only 7k miles on her! But the corrosion is still there, just cleaned as much off then sprayed with acf50, fingers 🤞

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post