Engine block corrosion?

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Tel wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:49 pm The particular OP looks to be a combo of oxidisation and possibly some coolant attack. The reason I say coolant, is the depth of scour in the metals' surface.

The only way to stop ally oxidising is by sealing it on day one. By seal, I don't mean your fancy automotive sprays, you require something that 'films' and provides an effective seal against oxygen.
For coolant, then you need to find the source of the leak.

For the past 30 odd years I have been experimenting on many bikes and cars.

I have recommended marine sprays such as Quicksilver Corrosion guard within many posts on this forum.
JLR use Würth products on the replacement underbody braces to seal the already coated steel surfaces.
You need that understand that automotive products are pretty lame at what they claim. Marine and aerospace though you not only go up in price, but you get a product that actually does what it is supposed to do, effectively.

I was fortunate, having bought the car brand spankers, on the journey from the dealer to home, I stopped at my local friendly garage and spent a couple of hours sealing everything, top and bottom. Subsequently it's like the day it left the showroom. The same can be said for my bikes, of which he oldest is 30 plus years and the ally work is as new.

Several ways to clean it up - You need acid. I would suggest Alubrite (https://www.chemwash.co.za/DataSheets/alubrite.html)
It works perfectly, and you need to be cautious of surrounding materials, so be handy with the hose to neutralise.

Once clean, start the engine to dry and 'seal' - Alternatively you could just leave it, but it doesn't look particularly pleasing to the eye.

Good preventative work you did there by sealing everything, top and bottom, when you first bought your car. I think you’ve previously said that your car is kept in the garage with controlled climate so that’s also helping to prevent corrosion etc.

The ‘Alubright’ Deoxidiser that you mention appears to be excellent for this sort of work......good tip that! It dissolves corrosion, removes white oxidation within minutes and leaves a bright, as new finish on dull grey engine blocks. This can be sealed in with ‘Jet Laq’.

Had a quick search and found these......

https://www.frost.co.uk/alubright-deoxidiser-500ml/

https://www.frost.co.uk/let-laq-1200-no ... uer-250ml/

After reading some of the information in this topic and researching ‘aluminium corrosion’, my concerns have been eased. This is due to the fact that as a result of the oxidation process, the aluminium oxide film which forms on the metal surface acts as a protective barrier and helps prevent further corrosion. Also, in most environments, the rate of corrosion of aluminium decreases rapidly with time.

If I did decide to remove the corrosion, I’d use ‘Alubright’ and then ‘Jet Laq’ to seal it. However, there are some areas which are difficult to get at so they would probably have to remain as they are.

Thankfully, the corrosion (or should I say protection) on the rear of the engine block and bell housing etc is not in a highly visible area.

1.png

2.png

2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid

scm

Post by scm »

GusA wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:59 pm Seems it’s a Jaguar designed and developed engine (AJ126 and AJ133) which was built at a new additional building at the Ford Bridgend plant ...
Wow, so two of us believe this, at least. :lol:
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

scm wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:09 pm
GusA wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:59 pm Seems it’s a Jaguar designed and developed engine (AJ126 and AJ133) which was built at a new additional building at the Ford Bridgend plant ...
Wow, so two of us believe this, at least. :lol:

It’s common knowledge amongst many Jaguar owners so I’m surprised that GusA didn’t know this? :roll:

@scm: Your maths ain't very good.....at least three of us believe that the Ford manufactured AJ126-V6 and AJ133-V8 engines were designed and developed by Jaguar. At the time, Jaguar was privately owned and, as such, there was simply not enough spare cash to invest in new products. However, this was made possible by the £millions invested by the Ford Motor Company.

I previously had to correct your misinformation in this topic as the extra two cylinders on the AJ133-V8 are at the rear of the engine and not the front.....here’s the diagram again :lol:

1.jpg

Last edited by RPSN on Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Quiet man

Post by Quiet man »

Every day's a school day, I've learnt a few things today. 😁
White V6S, red interior. Black 20inch alloy wheels.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Quiet man wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:47 pm Every day's a school day, I've learnt a few things today. 😁

Hopefully someone else has too :lol:
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Tel

Post by Tel »

I have Jet Laq on my shelf as well as Alubrite - Warning though...The Jet Laq went strange inside the bottle with a flakey appearance, so I think it may possibly have a shelf life.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Tel wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:58 pm I have Jet Laq on my shelf as well as Alubrite - Warning though...The Jet Laq went strange inside the bottle with a flakey appearance, so I think it may possibly have a shelf life.

Cheers, I'll keep that in mind.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
TopCat

Post by TopCat »

JurassicF wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:32 pm Just cleaning my F-Type and decided to take the plastic cover of to have a look.
Nothing anywhere near as bad on mine over 5 years old and 30,000 miles, but garaged.
It does appear garaging makes a big difference to the rate of oxidation.
2017 F Type V6 coupe, storm grey, panoramic roof, 19" wheels
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

JurassicF wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:32 pm Just cleaning my F-Type and decided to take the plastic cover of to have a look.
Nothing anywhere near as bad on mine over 5 years old and 30,000 miles, but garaged.

Agree with TopCat that garaging the vehicle makes a big difference to the rate of corrosion/oxidation. Also where you live in the UK as some areas have more wet weather than others. Another thing to take into consideration is whether or not the car is used all year round or stored away e.g. in the winter period?

Does your car have the ‘open mesh’ or ‘shrouded’ bonnet vents? (I posted photos of them earlier in the thread). The reason I ask is that TopCat and I have the ‘open mesh’ vents which let more water/moisture into the engine bay – although they are good for heat dissipation.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

RPSN wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:03 pm

Agree with TopCat that garaging the vehicle makes a big difference to the rate of corrosion/oxidation. Also where you live in the UK as some areas have more wet weather than others. Another thing to take into consideration is whether or not the car is used all year round or stored away e.g. in the winter period?

Does your car have the ‘open mesh’ or ‘shrouded’ bonnet vents? (I posted photos of them earlier in the thread). The reason I ask is that TopCat and I have the ‘open mesh’ vents which let more water/moisture into the engine bay – although they are good for heat dissipation.
I have the open mesh vents.
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post