Engine block corrosion?

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
TopCat

Post by TopCat »

I have just had the car serviced and thought I’d check that the engine cover had been refitted correctly and noticed the engine block and bell housing has what I think is corrosion (or oxidation?), it looks like a white powder stuck to the block.

Should I be concerned? Also is there anyway of removing this and stopping it reappearing?

The aluminium coloured top cover also has some marks.

I’ve owned the car from new and am not aware of any leaks under the bonnet.

All views appreciated. Thanks.

C1379EF9-E52A-4664-9FDF-7A41BBB24DA6.jpeg

9F7CF45A-6938-4CF4-B9B9-F74D0C942C7E.jpeg

606CC3B7-77DE-4627-8DDB-D5806AB4EBD1.jpeg

B8FD0A28-C636-4E0F-86F4-DD19D1F30541.jpeg

2017 F Type V6 coupe, storm grey, panoramic roof, 19" wheels

Diabolik

Post by Diabolik »

It certainly looks like some kind of oxidation reaction, if I am not mistaken the block is made of aluminium alloy.

Is the car garaged, or is there humidity where you keep the car?

Try a careful steam clean the block and after it drys spray a little wd 40 on the effected area.

Good luck.
MY17 V6 Coupe S, Ultimate /Santorini Black, Panoramic Roof, 20" wheels
santoshlv426

Post by santoshlv426 »

Aluminum shouldn't rust.
Is it on any other part of the car ?
What does Jlr say
F Type 5.0L V8 RWD 2016
Rhodium Silver

Tewy

Post by Tewy »

I have seen this on most cars I have owned and I have just brushed it off and gave components a regular coat of WD40. The white powder effect is just oxidation and it forms a skin. If you clean it off the process will just start again. I found that by spraying on WD40 on the exposed components slowed the process down.
F type 3.0 V6 supercharged manual, Honda CRV, Jaguar XJ-SC manual 3.6
Tewy

Post by Tewy »

Having the car in a climate controlled environment will help stop corrosion on aluminium and also you can a clear coating that can stop the process.
F type 3.0 V6 supercharged manual, Honda CRV, Jaguar XJ-SC manual 3.6
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

TopCat wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:17 pm I have just had the car serviced and thought I’d check that the engine cover had been refitted correctly and noticed the engine block and bell housing has what I think is corrosion (or oxidation?), it looks like a white powder stuck to the block.

Should I be concerned? Also is there anyway of removing this and stopping it reappearing?

The aluminium coloured top cover also has some marks.

I’ve owned the car from new and am not aware of any leaks under the bonnet.

All views appreciated. Thanks.

I noticed this corrosion to the aluminium engine block and bell housing a while ago and some of the crevices in that area were also holding the white powder. I hosed it off but it returned over a relatively short period of time.

My car is exposed to the elements all year round as I don't have a garage.

I have a feeling that the corrosion could be caused by water and moisture entering through the bonnet vents?

I've got the ‘open mesh’ vents........do you also have the same or do you have the ‘shrouded’ vents? (first photo is the ‘open mesh’ vent).

1.jpg

2.jpg

2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
TopCat

Post by TopCat »

Thanks all for the comments.

I do have the open mesh vents and the car lives outside as I also do not have a garage.

It seems that it is not that unusual, I’d prefer for it not to have that extent of corrosion / oxidation on it and am wondering if I will be able to clean it up and slow down it reappearing.
2017 F Type V6 coupe, storm grey, panoramic roof, 19" wheels
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

This amount of corrosion shouldn’t be happening and I think it will eventually cause big problems if left to its own devices.

To help prevent it getting any worse I’ve been considering replacing the ‘open mesh’ bonnet vents with the ‘shrouded’ type. My only concern is that they have a few very small holes in them which doesn’t do much for heat dissipation.

When my car engine is warm, I can put my hands over the ‘open mesh’ vents and really feel the heat that is being released from the engine bay.

I wonder if those cars which had the ‘shrouded’ vents from date of manufacture are showing any signs of corrosion (as per your photos). The comparison would be best made with cars that are also exposed to the elements all year round and are of a similar age (mine is 2016).....I’m not sure when the ‘shrouded’ vents were first introduced on the F-Type though?
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

Spray the engine with ACF50
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Jaguandy wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:19 pm Spray the engine with ACF50

Sounds like an option although it would be difficult to get to all the corroded areas. Also, it would need to be done on an annual basis or sooner.

Would it be safe to use on the F-type engine block etc?

Had a look on http://www.acf-50.co.uk/ and it says this......

“The unique abilities of ACF-50 remain effective for 12 months, gradually disappearing as it is chemically consumed.”

On Motorbikes.......“Use ACF-50 anywhere (except the brakes) including the engine and exhaust (will smoke on first start and burn off down pipes but still slows down corrosion process).”

I wonder if you’d see any smoke from the engine bay etc on starting up the F-Type after applying ACF-50?
Last edited by RPSN on Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post