How to remove centre vent?

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
TomLum

Post by TomLum »

Unfortunately I have the common problem on my 2015 where the centre vent no longer comes up/down and clicks.

I am going to remove it to replace with new. Removing the carbon trim in front I can see two torx bolts. Does anyone know what else needs to be removed before it will lift out?

Thanks in advance.

RPSN

Post by RPSN »

I recently did this job on my car.

Here you go....

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5183
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
Fez

Post by Fez »

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4365
Hope the link works, if not scroll down active topics you will find lazy central vent topic, which covers all you require.
Black AWD 400, sport
MY 18.5
Pan Roof
Heated front screen
Front parking sensors
Full spare
TomLum

Post by TomLum »

RPSN wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:18 am I recently did this job on my car.

Here you go....

Wow brilliant! Thankyou, will have a go at fix before I order a new one.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

TomLum wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:24 am

Here you go....

Definitely worth trying a fix before buying a new one.......mine's working great now.

When your sanding down the plastic pivot/hinge pins, be careful not to sand the arrow shaped ends away as they stop the pins from working loose!

👍
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
TomLum

Post by TomLum »

RPSN wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:53 am
TomLum wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:24 am

Here you go....

Definitely worth trying a fix before buying a new one.......mine's working great now.

When your sanding down the plastic pivot/hinge pins, be careful not to sand the arrow shaped ends away as they stop the pins from working loose!

👍

Followed the guide and mechanism now moving easily up and down by hand. Refitted and vents come up nice and easy on the motor but refuse to go down. Strange. Looks like a new one may be required after all.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

TomLum wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:58 pm Followed the guide and mechanism now moving easily up and down by hand. Refitted and vents come up nice and easy on the motor but refuse to go down. Strange. Looks like a new one may be required after all.

It's very likely that the centre vent wont close because the two large (coated) springs inside are not sitting correctly (usually the one on the left hand side).

Refer to the attached photo and push spring number 1 slightly to the right (over the lip) and slightly down so that when the centre vent closes the spring moves down into the recess in the direction of marker arrow number 2 . Both springs must go down into the recess each side for the vent to close.

Before refitting the vent, plug it in and try opening and closing it from the climate screen (face mode - open / foot mode - close) whilst keeping your eye on the operation of both springs.

Let us know how you get on.

1.jpg

Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
TomLum

Post by TomLum »

RPSN wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:46 pm
TomLum wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:58 pm Followed the guide and mechanism now moving easily up and down by hand. Refitted and vents come up nice and easy on the motor but refuse to go down. Strange. Looks like a new one may be required after all.

It's very likely that the centre vent wont close because the two large (coated) springs inside are not sitting correctly (usually the one on the left hand side).

Refer to the attached photo and push spring number 1 slightly to the right (over the lip) and slightly down so that when the centre vent closes the spring moves down into the recess in the direction of marker arrow number 2 . Both springs must go down into the recess each side for the vent to close.

Before refitting the vent, plug it in and try opening and closing it from the climate screen (face mode - open / foot mode - close) whilst keeping your eye on the operation of both springs.

Let us know how you get on.
Thanks for the info, adjusted the springs and they are not fouling on anything. Still no joy.

I notice even if I put the vents half way up and turn climate off the motor doesn't kick in to pull them down. Vents are set to 'Auto' not 'Always open'. I removed the vent motor plugged it in to test and it only turns one way (open). Suggests to me the motor might be faulty.

This is the motor taken from the guide.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

TomLum wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:26 pm Thanks for the info, adjusted the springs and they are not fouling on anything. Still no joy.

I notice even if I put the vents half way up and turn climate off the motor doesn't kick in to pull them down. Vents are set to 'Auto' not 'Always open'. I removed the vent motor plugged it in to test and it only turns one way (open). Suggests to me the motor might be faulty.

This is the motor taken from the guide.

When I reassembled the centre vent on my car it would open but wouldn’t close at first because of the spring I mentioned previously. A quick adjustment to the spring sorted it out.

It does appear that the motor is faulty on yours as it should turn both ways (open and close). The fault may show up on a plug in diagnostic check at the OBD port but I don't think you can buy a new motor separately as it's part of the vent unit.

The vents come in either Black or Graphite Grey.....mine is the latter as shown in the attached photo.

Here’s a link for the fascia vent components with diagram and part numbers (VIN specific).......Just click on the subheadings + sign.

https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.co ... nd/jaguar/

The following 'BRITCAR' link is for the Jaguar fascia vent part number T2R17780LOB for my car......

https://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/ ... vent_facia

1.jpg

Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies