InControl Secure

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
TopCat

Post by TopCat »

My InControl subscription is due for renewal and I was considering renewing but saw this

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... iders.html

The tracker was disabled in just a few minutes, is this the norm or a rarity?

Is it worth renewing or should I be looking to alternatives?
2017 F Type V6 coupe, storm grey, panoramic roof, 19" wheels

Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

I don't know how it works in the UK. But in NL I need a subscription with tracking. If thieves de-activate the tracking, its still covered.

So look in your policy conditions. Check if you need tracking and what happens if it get stolen and tracking disabled..

If you just want to track it : ask around for alternative makes. But in the Jag the hardware is there, not needing to buy

the hardware probably makes the subscription the cheapest option.
Range Rover P400e autobiography Loire Blue (2019) :P
Mazda__MX30_RED___2021_ BEV
FT jag _P300 _Ultra Bleu, 2018 ___________SOLD :(
D5 lr__SD4__Corris Grey, Blck roof, 2018_SOLD :roll:
FP Jag – 25t _Loire Blue ,2020 ____________SOLD :|
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

The article isn’t clear whether the notification is just a theft alert and the route tracker app that’s been disabled or whether the car has the full subscription tracker, but still worrying how quickly thieves can get into the car and drive it away, presumably without the key and without using relay theft? 3 minutes to disable the ‘tracker’ then just abandon the car? They would normally leave it somewhere to find out whether it has a tracker or not but if they’d disabled it then there would be no need for this. Very strange. Glad I don’t live in London and don’t have to park on the street. Lucky the member of public spotted and reported it, shame the police don’t have the resources to do anything other than call him.
TopCat

Post by TopCat »

Dan_Veluwe wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:30 pm I don't know how it works in the UK. But in NL I need a subscription with tracking. If thieves de-activate the tracking, its still covered.

So look in your policy conditions. Check if you need tracking and what happens if it get stolen and tracking disabled..

If you just want to track it : ask around for alternative makes. But in the Jag the hardware is there, not needing to buy

the hardware probably makes the subscription the cheapest option.
I don’t need it for insurance but like the extra reassurance of a tracker.

As you you say the hardware is there so staying with Jaguar is the preferred option, I was curious if the disabling of the tracker was that common.
scm

Post by scm »

I suppose one disadvantage of the Jaguar hardware is that it'll be in the same place in every car, whereas aftermarket systems are (or so I believe) randomly located so more difficult for thieves to find.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
TopCat

Post by TopCat »

GusA wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:42 pm The article isn’t clear whether the notification is just a theft alert and the route tracker app that’s been disabled or whether the car has the full subscription tracker, but still worrying how quickly thieves can get into the car and drive it away, presumably without the key and without using relay theft? 3 minutes to disable the ‘tracker’ then just abandon the car? They would normally leave it somewhere to find out whether it has a tracker or not but if they’d disabled it then there would be no need for this. Very strange. Glad I don’t live in London and don’t have to park on the street. Lucky the member of public spotted and reported it, shame the police don’t have the resources to do anything other than call him.
The article isn’t totally clear but my impression was that it was the subscription tracker.

Yes, if the tracker was disabled, why leave it for a few days unless being electric it hadn’t been charged.

It is worrying that the police don’t have sufficient resources to recover the vehicle, to be reported by a member of the public and the best they can to do is to text the owner surprises me.
TopCat

Post by TopCat »

scm wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:08 pm I suppose one disadvantage of the Jaguar hardware is that it'll be in the same place in every car, whereas aftermarket systems are (or so I believe) randomly located so more difficult for thieves to find.
That’s a valid point I hadn’t considered.
Hammers

Post by Hammers »

Supposedly from a report I read in Australia that in Russia computer experts are being recruited by car thieves and have come up with systems to completely bypass the need for keys or the fob and are able to communicate directly with the car.
Current: Fuji White MY19.5 P300 R-Dynamic F-Type Convertible 20" Black wheels, Exterior Black Pack, Windsor Leather performance Seats etc.
Previous: Italian Racing Red MY17 Jaguar XE 25t R-Sport, Black Pack, 19" black venom wheels, sunroof etc.
scm

Post by scm »

The joy of the internet of (all) things. :(
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

Couple of posts deleted as we don't do politics on here.
Thanks.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post