Audio Muting at Junctions

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

I’ve sort of noticed this for a long time but rarely use the music system. However, I went for a long drive last Sunday and we had the radio on and almost every junction/roundabout etc the radio mutes and then starts again once exiting the junction. It’s almost like the nav system is trying to mute the radio to give direction information but no route was selected and to voice commands at all.

I’ve tried turning the volume up whilst the radio is muted at a junction but nothing heard.

Anyone had this or knows what is happening? It’s not a big concern as audio rarely used.

scm

Post by scm »

Which sound system do you have, that might make a difference?
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Hammers

Post by Hammers »

Is it on DAB or FM or CarPlay or other?
Current: Fuji White MY19.5 P300 R-Dynamic F-Type Convertible 20" Black wheels, Exterior Black Pack, Windsor Leather performance Seats etc.
Previous: Italian Racing Red MY17 Jaguar XE 25t R-Sport, Black Pack, 19" black venom wheels, sunroof etc.
Deleted User 1715

scm wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:58 am Which sound system do you have, that might make a difference?

It’s the Meridian 380w system.

Just listening to DAB radio, but even when I use carplay for navigation I still use the car’s own DAB radio most of the time.
scm

Post by scm »

Weird, I have that system, too, but have never listened to the radio on it, just MP3s from a USB stick, and I've never had any muting, apart from satnav instructions. (I nearly said I've never heard any muting, but then I wouldn't, would I! ;))
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Deleted User 1715

scm wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:17 pm Weird, I have that system, too, but have never listened to the radio on it, just MP3s from a USB stick, and I've never had any muting, apart from satnav instructions. (I nearly said I've never heard any muting, but then I wouldn't, would I! ;))

I’ll try using other inputs for music including MP3’s to see if it’s just the DAB it does it on, but can’t help thinking it’s some clever JLR system cutting in to tell me something but is muted.
ninetails

Post by ninetails »

GusA wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:34 am I’ve sort of noticed this for a long time but rarely use the music system. However, I went for a long drive last Sunday and we had the radio on and almost every junction/roundabout etc the radio mutes and then starts again once exiting the junction. It’s almost like the nav system is trying to mute the radio to give direction information but no route was selected and to voice commands at all.

I’ve tried turning the volume up whilst the radio is muted at a junction but nothing heard.

Anyone had this or knows what is happening? It’s not a big concern as audio rarely used.
It seems like your sat nav circuit has got "tangled up" with your radio circuit. I had a similar problem. Try adjusting the sat nav volume with the radio switched OFF to separate the circuits. On my car (MY 2016) I can go into the menu and select from home screen settings > system > adjust volumes, and in that screen you can adjust the sat nav, parking aid, phone and traffic announcements separately. If you do not have this in your menu make sure the radio is switched OFF and set your sat nav to take you somewhere and when directions are given adjust the volume. If still no joy, try disconnecting/reconnecting the negative lead from battery where it bolts to the boot floor to reboot the system.
Last edited by ninetails on Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
340 coupe auto 2016MY, ammonite/corris grey, red performance heated seats, pano roof, 20" turbine wheels, switchable active exhaust, front & rear parking sensors, rear camera.
Deleted User 1715

ninetails wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:55 pm
GusA wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:34 am I’ve sort of noticed this for a long time but rarely use the music system. However, I went for a long drive last Sunday and we had the radio on and almost every junction/roundabout etc the radio mutes and then starts again once exiting the junction. It’s almost like the nav system is trying to mute the radio to give direction information but no route was selected and to voice commands at all.

It seems like your sat nav circuit has got "tangled up" with your radio circuit. I had a similar problem. Try adjusting the sat nav volume with the radio switched OFF to separate the circuits. On my car (MY 2016) I can go into the menu and select from home screen settings > system > adjust volumes, and in that screen you can adjust the sat nav, parking aid, phone and traffic announcements separately. If you do not have this in your menu make sure the radio is switched OFF and set your sat nav to take you somewhere and when directions are given adjust the volume. If still no joy, try disconnecting the negative lead from battery where it bolts to the boot floor to reboot the system.
Thanks, I’ll try that. Not sure I have those separate volume controls with the 10” screen but will look through all the menus. Just had the latest software update over the air which seemed to go ok but made no difference to this muting.
Deleted User 1715

Update. After checking various sources it is just the DAB that is doing it so I don’t think it is related to some other system muting it. FM, Bluetooth and USB sources all work fine. As for doing it at junctions it seems to be doing it when braking (although not every time), so I thought it was the junction causing it but actually it’s the slowing down. Possibly a loose connection somewhere that is going open circuit under braking? Does that sound feasible? I guess it could also be some sort of interference when the brake lights are activated and a weak DAB signal? Grateful for any other ideas.
Duvetday

Post by Duvetday »

Is it possible that the radio antenna is disconnecting when you brake, either at the radio or antenna end ?

You might expect it to do the same using the analogue radio, but reduced signal on DAB would have more of a binary effect...either on or off. On analogue radio a loose radio connection might just reduce the signal but you haven't noticed as it has not gone 'off' altogether.

Having suggested this I'm not sure how you could test the theory. Maybe find a week signal station using the analoue radio and see if it fades under hard braking ?

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post