noob questions

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Duvetday

Post by Duvetday »

Hello,

I picked up a P380 convertible, 2018 plate a couple of weeks ago. I’ve worked through a number of questions myself using the manual and trial and error and am left with these below. Can anybody help answer any of these noob questions ?

1)The media volume control knob to the left of the gear knob is kind of tight to turn – is this normal ?

2)In normal drive model, how soon after a period of using the flappy paddles should it revert to automatic drive model – seems a random length of time, or not at all.

3)If I am in R Dynamic model and using the flappy paddles, does knocking the gear knob left to sport add anything…or just make the manual mode permanent ?

4)How do I stop the infotainment system welcoming me as ‘Dave’ ?…noting that my name is not ‘Dave’.

5)How can I see my next service requirement ? – found this in vehicle information in message centre but greyed out.

6)I was sat in the car last evening, engine off, fiddling around with stereo ambient lights, electric seats etc for 20 mins. Then got the warning message to start engine as battery running low. Is this normal….I guess the electric seats are quite a draw on the battery when engine off…but still..20 minutes ?

7)The CAN button on the right hand side of the steering wheel feels ‘mushy’ for want of a better word. I press it…sometimes it sort of clicks/cracks a bit, and it doesn’t feel like it is immediately springing back when I release. Is this a common problem and does anybody think this should be something I could ask to be addressed under warranty…noting that despite this spongy feeling the button does (currently) work ?

8) When driving a simple press of the manual spoiler button is enough to put the spoiler up or down. But when parked, if I press the manual spoiler button the spoiler pops up but to put it back down I have to hold the button down till the spoiler is back home. Is this normal ?

9) Anybody know the tread depth on a new set of 20 inch Pzeros….bit paranoid but I think the new rear set that was on when I viewed seems to have changed by the time I picked the car up !

Cheers

scm

Post by scm »

2) in D when using the paddles it reverts to auto after a few seconds (about 5?) - you can force auto by holding the right paddle in for a few seconds.

3) S will cause changes to the car's dynamics, gear shifts, etc, and, as you've noticed, won't revert to auto when you're using the paddles. BTW, did you know that in S you can use the stick to shift up and down instead of the paddles - forward to downshift, back to upshift (i think, it's been a while since I've used that feature!)

9) I think Pirellis have about 8mm when new .... but they don't last long if you're driving "properly", in my experience. ;)

Forgot to say - welcome to the club! :D
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Duvetday

Post by Duvetday »

OK thanks. On (2) at first, ..a couple of weeks ago.., it did revert to D maybe 5 to 10 seconds after stopping using the paddles. But now it seems much longer, to the extent that I HAVE to intervene and tell it to go back to D. Could this be a fault....or could I have inadvertantly altered a vehicle setting to cause this ?
scm

Post by scm »

On mine, I think the only setting that affects the paddles is the option to allow them to operate in S only, or in S and D. Are you sure you didn't knock it into S inadvertently (sorry if this sounds insulting!)? I tend to always manually revert to auto so haven't noticed any lag in the auto feature reverting.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

Volume knob shouldn’t be stiff

Spoiler up/down when stationary operates differently as a safety measure as fingers etc could be there - hopefully not when moving.

The car does an amount of ‘learning’ so if you’re driving with zeal it won’t revert back to auto as quickly.

Not sure when they changed the cruise control buttons to raised ones but think you have the later ones. They should operate cleanly so may be some crud in there.

Welcome to F Type enjoyment!
Duvetday

Post by Duvetday »

Great answers thanks. Hope I haven't inadvertantly given away too much about my driving style here. Let's call it new owner over exuberance.
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

EDIT: Hi and welcome!

First thing, if you purchased from a Jaguar dealer you will have 1yr Jaguar warranty so any issues contact them, discuss with service manager and get booked back in.

1) Should turn freely

2) I think there is a set time, believe to be 30 seconds, where if no paddles are pressed and only minimal throttle is used it will return to auto

3) In dynamic mode and in auto, engaging S keeps revs higher. In manual I am not to sure as you have control but remember it wont upshift as you approach red line. Remember to change!

4) Sounds like dealer didn't reset the Sat Nav. 2018 plate could be MY17/18/18.5 or 19. Guessing MY19 from your description. If this wasn't done then also worth checking whether the car has InControl. If it does then previous owner may still have access to the car to control remote features, unlock, locate car etc.

5) Should be where you found it but access it with igition on but without starting the car might do the trick. See point 4 above regarding InControl which also shows service information. Alternatively visit https://osh.jaguar.com and enter VIN number to see history and next service interval.

6) Should be fine for 20 minutes but depends on how much you were playing with electrics. You can see any previous battery tests completed by viewing TopiX (topix.jaguar.jlrext.com - sign up for free as independant) and enter VIN.
When you lock the car make sure you double lock it. Press lock twice. (Optional beep from alarm/horn). Check after 20 minutes that the hazard warning light has gone out. If it is still on then reply back.

7) Mine isnt great, more clicky then spongey, but again if your not happy then report to dealer.

8) Press and hold to lower when stationary (or certain slow speeds). Safety feature.

9) I think its officially 7.96mm but about 8mm. If you purchased from Jaguar dealer there is a minimum up 3.74mm required as part of the used approved programme.

HTH
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
Duvetday

Post by Duvetday »

Thanks,

On (1) I think the tight media knob might just be that the top of it is static and the collar round it moves. So my thumb is trying to turn the static bit along with the collar. Odd design. Great to see that 'tight knobs' hasn't taken a life of it's own (yet) on this particular forum.

On (4) dealer reset the incontrol password at handover and I have my account set up. Dealer told me that was enough to cut the previous owner out. Its just the infotainment system that I have since noticed thinks I am called Dave. Am off in to service for a rattle sorting this weekend so I'll ask them about it then.

On (5) I've been on the Jag service site a few times. I can see the previous services,... but for the life of me I can't find anything that tells me when the next one is meant to be. Perhaps its annual and I just need to go 12 months after last ?

On (9), was told a brand new set of rears had been fit...so just want to make sure they were still the same ones when I picked up...hadn't noticed till now but they just don't 'look'brand new wherease they did when I first saw the car.

Thanks again.
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Servicing is every year or 16,000 miles which ever occurs first.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
Brendub

Post by Brendub »

If you have the in control app and go to status tab. It will tell you when the next service is due in miles. mine is 7437. it is the outer collar on the media know that turns. took me a while to get that one. If you have a subscription you can also update the sat nav by logging into the jaguar site here. https://jaguar.welcome.naviextras.com

download the updater for either Mac or windows and put your sd card into the computer the download will do it automatically.

And welcome to the club
2017 380 bhp V6S Corris Grey Coupe. Black 19inch propeller wheels and pano roof :D :D :D

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post